• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ - Did the Rams have Jeffrey in for a visit? I don't remember. Apparently he wasn't on our wish list.

If I remember correctly they were scared off by the knee injury.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mutigers. I remember that Jeffreys made a visit to Rams park for that draft, but like you stated they got scared with the knee. I don't know what they saw that scared them. They also brought in Chance Warmack and D.J. Fluker with this year's draft and we did see either of them in a Ram's uniform. Sometimes their choices seem a bit odd.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also never know what is and what isn't a smoke screen.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mutigers. I remember that Jeffreys made a visit to Rams park for that draft, but like you stated they got scared with the knee. I don't know what they saw that scared them. They also brought in Chance Warmack and D.J. Fluker with this year's draft and we did see either of them in a Ram's uniform. Sometimes their choices seem a bit odd.
If we would have traded up for a Guard or a Right Tackle, our GM would need his head examined. We also spent most of our time looking at Olineman before we made a decision on Long.

They maneuvered the draft perfectly this year, imo.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not the point Clayton. The point is a couple of years ago this mismanaged the draft in selecting Quick in the second round when he could have been had for a later round after they were set on a WR in the first and they had brought in Jeffrey. They could have then picked up a guy like Lamar Miller as well.

Granted that could have been a smoke screen and so could have been Warmack and Fluker's visit this year to throw everyone else off to their intentions of getting Austin and Ogletree in the first. I am not saying we should have taken Warmack and Fluker at all costs either. I am just stating that they could have done a better job last year as they did a pretty good job this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just stating that they could have done a better job last year as they did a pretty good job this year.
They clearly have a different BPA chart than the 'consensus' one, I'll say that. I remember really wanting Rueben Randle and not wanting Alshon Jeffrey. Guys like Quick and AJ Jenkins weren't even on my radar as first round/early 2nd round prospects but I think it was clear that when we drafted Quick, he was going to be a project. Unfortunately, we have a really bad record with project draft picks lately.

There is actually a really big contrast in 2012 drafting and 2013 drafting. I think the Rams worked out everyone or almost everyone they drafted in 2012. 2013 it was just Austin and Ogletree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also agree on Randle and SJ76 makes the point for Jeffrey and Miller before Quick and for what so we can take a project player that we could have selected in the fourth? You get the point and you are right we have a terrible record with projects. The latest-Rok Watson.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also agree on Randle and SJ76 makes the point for Jeffrey and Miller before Quick and for what so we can take a project player that we could have selected in the fourth? You get the point and you are right we have a terrible record with projects. The latest-Rok Watson.
I think we are just going to have to get used to the Fisher-Snead era of Boom and Bust prospects. They clearly draft with upside in mind and like to move around in the draft and target players.

If anything, its much more interesting than the Devaney textbook 'no risk, no reward' drafting style or the 4 pillars style of drafting gentlemen and not football players.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea Clayton, I agree. Devaney ended up on Foxsports as an analyst and Spigot is out of football altogether.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fear is that Quick gets forced into the line up because he was the 33rd player taken. I would hate to see either Bailey or Pettis lose reps because of it. I guess time will tell. Hard to believe Pettis is the veteran in season 3!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe Pettis is the veteran in season 3!

Quit making excuses for Bradford!!!!

JK chy! You know me, just having some fun with all those Bradford detractors.

Not only that, but it's hard to believe Richardson is the most tenured RB vet in season 2!

Oh look, now you've got me doing it!
lol2.gif

None the less you bring up a very good point. We are lacking much experience on the offensive side of the ball and we are going to face one of the toughest schedules in the NFL again this year. Either way, we have increased our talent level in 2 years under Fisher in leaps and bounds. There are a lot of reasons for all of us to have a good hope this season but no doubt, it will come with some lumps!

As far as Quick getting forced into the lineup, I wouldn't worry too much. These dudes need to make it happen in training camp and if they get the play book down and put themselves in a position to make plays, the best guy will be the ones getting the most snaps and targets as we move through the season.

My fear is our running back situation, not sure if we have the guy on our roster who can eventually be our every down guy. Losing balance in your attack, especially from the running game, puts more pressure on a teams ability to pass the ball.

Now I know we are moving to a spread offense and going the way of the league to a pass happy approach (We found much success when we ran a spread offense last year and Sammy flourished at OU with the Spread, so it makes sense) however as accurate as Sam can be with time to throw the ball, I noticed last year on those quick slants he often threw behind his receiver. Obviously sometimes by design to avoid the ILB or hands from the DL to avoid a tip so I'm not sure if this something he is being 'coached' to do or not.

Some of his inexcusable picks have come when he throws across the middle and fails to account for the OLB, ILB or DE dropping back after showing blitz, so it could be what's happening here. I don't recall Sam throwing behind his receivers on slants prior to Cignetti arriving as the Ram's QB coach or Sam doing that at OU very so much either. (Cignetti is known to use a conservative approach, so I can't really rule it out). It just seems to me, if you can hit the guy in stride, who knows how many YAC's Cookie and Tavon will get from the slot?

Just like the Quick, Pettis, and Baily snaps, it's something to keep our eyes on I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is that I pretty much forgot Fischer was the HC. I wouldthink other Rams coaches in the past may have played people based uponwhre drafted vs. talent. If Quick performs and wins the spot then I am all for it. I just dont want to see him playingsnaps that should go to Bailey.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is sammie the most tenured player on the offense?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mutigers, If you are talking about the Rams, that's a tie between Sammie and Roger Saffold (4 years). If you are talking about NFL experience that would be Scott Wells (10 years).

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
however as accurate as Sam can be with time to throw the ball, I noticed last
year on those quick slants he often threw behind his receiver.

No Sam never threw behind his WR's. EVER. He was rushed and the WR ran the wrong route!
:L

Ok in all seriousness, I too have seen this. Never will I be able to forget last year's Jets game in STL when Sanchez made Bradford look bad. And so did the Jets D.

I have always been worried about Sam - mainly does he have that "X" factor? To me, all I have seen is the deer in headlights look and then some flashes of a good QB. Now I will give him this year with a better, hopefully more healthy O-line AND more weapons at TE and WR.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to Sam's credit. He was "thrown to the wolves" in his first few years. Bulgerized.

What's funny though is the people out there that blamed Bulger for everything and now say Sam is not the problem. The same shit was happening and the small amount of points were being scored with both QB's behind center. Retro - you are a math teacher, the common denominator is the shitty O-line. Plus Sam had no experience. So in essence, we drafted a rookie QB, paid him a buttload of cash, and gave him nothing to work with. So I do feel for Sam - add in all the expectations... He has developed happy feet at times, but games like last year versus the Jets and Minnesota? I really don't know who else to blame those games on. And throughout the year, Sam had some help from the D. Janoris scored a few TD's in big games to help us win and the defense held strong.

Like I said, I will give Sam another pass. But he needs to show me some consistency this year. Otherwise, what was the point in drafting him? We would have been alot better if we drafted more defense and O-line, with some stout RB's - pound the rock and played tougher D. Get a game managing QB that might develop and has WHEELS!

Was that not my plan the year we drafted Sammie?

Just saying. But like I said, I'm ready to watch and wait.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Sam never threw behind his WR's. EVER. He was rushed and the WR ran the wrong route!
:L
Now here I am trying to be objective and I get this...

:lol: You got me!!

Ok in all seriousness, I too have seen this.
My point is, I don't recall this being an issue before last season. Throwing behind the receiver on the quick slants is the safe place to put the ball. So do you think it's either Shottzie or Cignetti coaching these conservative throws on these patterns? Because it seems like he threw it behind the receiver almost every time on these pass patterns.
I have always been worried about Sam - mainly does he have that "X" factor? To me, all I have seen is the deer in headlights look and then some flashes of a good QB.
Well he did at OU except for the NT game, so maybe you have good reason to be worried.
Now I will give him this year with a better, hopefully more healthy O-line AND more weapons at TE and WR.
Even so, you've projected an 8-8 season, is this what you would call success?
And to Sam's credit. He was "thrown to the wolves" in his first few years. Bulgerized.

What's funny though is the people out there that blamed Bulger for everything and now say Sam is not the problem. The same shit was happening and the small amount of points were being scored with both QB's behind center.
On top of having a crappy line, Bulger had no pocket awareness (Studied film much did he? IDK) but it seemed he would always, ALWAYS roll into sacks and not away from them. Also never thought Mark could bring us back from more than a touchdown back in any game, I don't feel that way with Sam....YET!
Like I said, I will give Sam another pass. But he needs to show me some consistency this year. Otherwise, what was the point in drafting him? We would have been alot better if we drafted more defense and O-line, with some stout RB's - pound the rock and played tougher D. Get a game managing QB that might develop and has WHEELS!

Was that not my plan the year we drafted Sammie?

Just saying. But like I said, I'm ready to watch and wait.
I think these things happen for a reason, call it destiny if you will. I was ready for Spags head to role after the way he bumbled away the final game Sam's rookie season in Seattle!

That was the same year Fisher was fired saying he would take a year off and who knows who we would have ended up with for an HC had I got my way. I shutter to even think about it in hind sight. Then the following year Spags trots out an injured Sam for 2-3 games with poor OL protection coaching this team to two victories. Heck that put us in position for the rights to either Luck or RGIII.

I know Fisher says the Rams had their franchise QB so that is why he picked the Rams over the Fins but IMO, it was also the fact that we held the No. 2 spot and the trade value it brought. Couple that along with the new CBA and the rookie signing caps and suddenly the Rams were in a great spot to not only make a slew of picks and high picks at that, but have the room under the cap to sign a lot of talent in both FA and the draft.

Okay, just like in your signature (And if you REALLY are going to give this dude a chance you'll change it by the start of the season if not sooner) he no longer will have the 'luxury' <cough, cough> of saying he never had the same OC for more than one season but as you've said, we have little experience with our play makers outside of Sam and Cookie and I'll add depth too at our OL.

There will be some things to work through on offense.

Kind of like.....

No depth and oft injured O-line, unproven weapons on offense, first 2nd year offensive coordinator, WR will still run wrong routes
sheepshagger.gif

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Vita. If you throw behind a WR, you are gonna get him hurt and plus he has no momentum to take and run. I think Sam has been off at times. Period.

And the Big 12 even when Sam was there didn't impress me. Nebraska has a pretty solid defense. but I remember Mizzou's D and Texas Tech. Even the best defenses were ok compared to the SEC. Those Big 12 games were shootouts. Remember Colt McCoy against Bama? 3 plays and done. The SEC is as close to an NFL defense as you will find in college. Pac 12? Big 10? ACC? No way.

But look out for Stanford's D this year. :whistle:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita,

SO what you are saying that is maybe after year 5, we might know if this guy can be our starting QB? How long are you willing to wait?

And my prediction at 8-8 is just me going through the schedule and picking games. Everyone knows I can't pick NFL games.. I'm usually around .500. But I can pick college games my friend.

Also - Bulger never had a pocket after Pace left. So there was no way he could have had pocket awareness. He might as well been a crash test dummy.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Sam won more games in both 2010 & 2012 than in 2008, 2009 &
2011 combined. Our players, our coaches & our staff all believe in Sam." ~
Kevin Demoff

And what are the guys in the front office supposed to say? That Sam gets cross-eyed during a pass rush and our players and staff don't have anywhere else to turn? C'mon man!