• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So none of the skill players are proven, but our QB has proven himself?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect around a .500 season.

The schedule is pretty tough and like everyone has mentioned, most of the skill positions are young and unproven. Even Cook has been up and down during his short career.

I will be surprised if Austin survives all 16 games. The RB situation is sketchy at best and the Oline has a history of injuries.

If everything falls right, they may have a shot at a PO berth, but I'm not expecting it.

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Sando had a nice analysis on Bradford's significant improvement in the red zone and in general after the bye week last season. Bradford has all the potential in the world to be an elite QB, and he'll have two more years to show it. With a more talented group of receivers, there's no reason he shouldn't improve this upcoming season. I won't be surprised if he throws for 4,000 and 25+ TD's this season.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He absolutely has not. He was the #1 pick overall and getting paid 50mil+. I don't think this year will be the make or break year for him, but next year will be definitely.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suggesting that there was great improvement in the Rams offense during the last 6 games doesn't mesh with how I remember the season. We stuffed the Cardinals who were hopeless and in a 1-10 run. We edged the 49ers 16-13 with 10 points on defense. We edged the Bills in the last 5 minutes after being shut-out for 40 minutes. (It was the fracking Bills!!!). The Vikings handed us our ass. The Buccaneers were God-awful, (lost 41-0 the previous week). The Seahawks held us to 1 TD.
That's not exactly what I said fastforward, here is what I said...
There was a lot of progress on the offensive side of the ball late in the season, the red zone failures that plagued this team for years was put to bed along with the false starts. Sam's QBR went up too even though we played several playoff teams in that time frame.
So not exactly a 'great improvement' however 'a lot of progress' big difference in my book, and I stated the specific improvements too. We did have problems in the red zone in 2011 and it carried over to the first 2/3 of the season as well, just like the false starts. We also made progress with Sammy's QBR, now I know these aren't 'great improvements' however they suggest we are moving in the right direction, just as those two road games where we scored 28ppg or more since we scored something like a mere 20ppg the entire season.

Those are markers to me FF and I'll take them! These indicators may not suggest 'great improvement' but they do suggest we are making progress and are on the right track. For that I'm am not only thankful, I will recognize these milestones and thank GOD that we are moving in the right direction!
I don't think it matters though. 5 of the 11 starters have gone.
If we struggle on offense in 2013 it'll probably be due to 3 factors. 1) We don't have 1 injury-free starter who has played at a near ProBowl level. 2) Our rushing attack is the weakest in the league on paper at this time, (RBs and run-blocking O-Line). 3) We have more new & young players coming in than other teams. Inexperience will hurt us.
This is a very astute observation IMO and I back 100 %! Most offensive powers in the NFL, year to year don't get there without probowl play or probowl players and a lot of them in spite of probowl play wont get there without avoiding key injuries along the way.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me see, Rookie of the year seems to be some proof, I know not enough for you however he did beat out that guy that year who was picked No. 2 the same year. Just another rub for all you Suh supporters. Also Junkie, while I do think Suh was the BPA that year, we were in no position to pick another DL guy with Quinn sitting there and Long already in the frey? Who would we have picked for QB, Tebow? McCoy? Please, we made the right choice.

He absolutely has not. He was the #1 pick overall and getting paid 50mil+. I don't think this year will be the make or break year for him, but next year will be definitely.
He is no David Carr however there is still much to improve on, but just because he hit the draft a year before say Cam Newton did does that make a difference? Cam is much on the same track as Sammy: No. 1 overall, Rookie of the Year, and struggled in his Sophomore season. The big difference, beside the CBA rookie cap on the salary, is Cam signed with a team that was much further along than our sorry Rams. That can't be denied however here we are with everyone looking to see if Cam Newton, a dude Junkie loved (Correct me if I'm wrong as he is an SEC dude, I'm pretty sure I recall it right) will bounce back in his third year. The big difference between the two was Cam wasn't injured in year two and hasn't suffered through 3 OC in 3 years either however lets see if he has his best year ever as a pro in year 3 and if it's good enough for his fan base or rather the Panthers fan base.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, not trying to be rude but you don't sound very confident here Vita.

Never think you are being rude with me junkie, you're my boy! Now there are a few others LOL that you might say asked for it but that's a different story all together. :lol:
Never said that however I think most, like me, have 'known' for the most part,
all along.
Now regarding my quote you've underlined. The 'think' part was regarding what 'others like me' may be thinking. You know, I can't really speak for them but I can tell you what I 'think' there opinion is. As for the last part you've underlined, 'for the most part' ... Well yeah, he needs to it step up! Hence 'for the most part'. He still has some undone business to get to before we can talk in absolutes like we do with Brady, Manning (Either one) Rodgers, Roethlisberger, or Bress. Everybody else is somewhere else down the charts with Sammy maybe the exception of Flaco unless I missed someone. Not Romo, or Rivers or anyone of the newbees like Luck, RGII, Caep or Wilson or anyone with the first name of 'Matt'. That's just the way I see it, starting QB's don't grow on trees and we used to give them a few years on the bench to let them 'learn' the NFL defenses, so I'm certain even if this season is a bust and Sam shows he is a mere mortal that Sam is the Rams starter 5 years running. I'm sorry for this, as I know you will have no patience for it but I'm sure your opinion nor mine withstanding, it's true.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put in my availability for work for the fall semester, no Sundays!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me see, Rookie of the year seems to be some proof, I know not enough for you
however he did beat out that guy that year who was picked No. 2 the same year.
Just another rub for all you Suh supporters. Also Junkie, while I do think Suh
was the BPA that year, we were in no position to pick another DL guy with Quinn
sitting there and Long already in the frey? Who would we have picked for QB,
Tebow? McCoy? Please, we made the right choice.

See this is where I fly in on a jet, holding nothing back. So he did win ROY. And he beat out a defensive player. And as I recall, no rookie in the NFC that year really tore it up. That's how bad it was.

So with that said, YEAH I take Suh and I take and some O-lineman, a RB, and find some defensive players. I sign a few guys, then bring in an AVERAGE QB that's a game manager.

Bradford has been average. So if I'm getting average, I don't draft a QB period - especially if I have to pay him $50 million. I find an AVERAGE QB in free agency that manages ball games, while our Defensive coach runs his magic and we pound the fucking ball down your throat on the ground with Stephen Jackson and another bigger RB. WEAR YOU DOWN. We may not win 7 games, but we will be competitive and build a defense, waiting on a QB down the road. Whether it's Dalton, Locker, Luck, RG3 whoever.

We weren't going to win anything that year with Bradford or Suh. So why go QB and watch him get killed? And how ANYONE can think we took Bradford and made the right choice is mind-boggling to me. The guy (and Bulger) had ZERO weapons and the O-line was horrible. It's like buying a Ferrari and not getting insurance. The stupidest possible draft pick in a situation like that. We needed picks and talent. Period.

You don't just draft a QB and throw him to the wolves. You draft high level talent at positions that you need. Would SUH have flourished under Spags? Who knows? But I know for 5+ years we couldn't stop any RB in the NFL. Not only could we not score, we were the #32 ranked defense against the run. And sure our pasing defense was ok. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO PASS!

The Rams organization drafted Bradford under the old "hopeful" regime. Because they thought he would sell more tickets and they HOPED he could make an awful team good.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have drafted Suh all day. Then draft a QB the following year where it was loaded with QB's. And I would have drafted another one the following year too and let them battle it out - raising the bar.

Anyone been watching Bellicheck and how he drafts QB's? Then develops them and trades his back-ups for a package of 2nd/3rd round picks?

Anyone wonder how Bellicheat has so many picks?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would we have picked for QB,
Tebow? McCoy? Please, we made the right
choice.

I'm fired up. HERE IS THE PROBLEM! That's how the old regime thought. And since no other QB in that draft is any good, we have to draft Bradford! lol

Not the way to draft. Plus look at some of the great QB's out there... Alot of them came from GREAT QB classes.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where I fly in on a jet, holding nothing back.
I wouldn't want it any other way. We haven't always agreed with one another however it's never crossed any lines in my opinion, so have at it!
So he did win ROY. And he beat out a defensive player. And as I recall, no rookie in the NFC that year really tore it up. That's how bad it was.
What you are failing to acknowledge was how bad of a team the Rams were before Sam took over. We won just 3 games in 2007 and still managed to win less games in 2008 and even less in 2009. Yep 3-13 (2007), 2-14 (2008) and 1-15 (2009) for a total of 6 wins in three years, we draft Bradford and we eclipse that combined total with a 7-8 mark going into Week 17 with a chance to make the playoffs. That's how good Sam was!

So with that said, YEAH I take Suh and I take and some O-lineman, a RB, and find some defensive players. I sign a few guys, then bring in an AVERAGE QB that's a game manager.
Welll Junkie, if it were you doing the drafting I would agree with you but outside of Sam and Langford who else did we get? I'll wait..... Not really, I don't need to wait, we got NOBODY in 5 picks in 2010 (Maybe Austin Pettis and Lance Kendricks work out??) and Nobody but Quinn 2011 the problem here is YOU were not the one making the decisions in the draft room so either way Suh or Bradford would have been a good pick, every thing else you are saying 'you' would have done with the remaining picks doesn't matter, we would have thrown them away too.

Bradford has been average. So if I'm getting average, I don't draft a QB period - especially if I have to pay him $50 million. I find an AVERAGE QB in free agency that manages ball games, while our Defensive coach runs his magic and we pound the fucking ball down your throat on the ground with Stephen Jackson and another bigger RB. WEAR YOU DOWN.
But neither Pat Shurmurr nor Josh McDaniels were that type of OC so it wasn't going to work out like you are saying and I think down deep you know this too.
We weren't going to win anything that year with Bradford or Suh. So why go QB and watch him get killed? And how ANYONE can think we took Bradford and made the right choice is mind-boggling to me.
But it was a leading factor in the Fisher hire which lead to the Snead hire and put us where we are today. I'm not sure those things happen with Suh as a Ram and not Bradford.

You don't just draft a QB and throw him to the wolves. You draft high level talent at positions that you need. Would SUH have flourished under Spags? Who knows? But I know for 5+ years we couldn't stop any RB in the NFL. Not only could we not score, we were the #32 ranked defense against the run. And sure our pasing defense was ok. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO PASS!
LOL Junkie, look what a great defensive guy like Jeff Fisher did in one year defensively. Like I said before, starting QB's don't grow on trees and if you can get a good one you can build around him, now did Spags and company do that, hell no but again, look at what Jeffy boy did in just one year, and look at where we are today.

The Rams organization drafted Bradford under the old "hopeful" regime. Because they thought he would sell more tickets and they HOPED he could make an awful team good.
And you know what, they got that right, they did sell more tickets and he did make an awful team better. Had Sam dropped to the Lions, he most likely gets traded away in a, I'll be it much less value do to the CBA, trade not unlike we had for RGII. I'm glad we were the ones who were able to get extra picks and not the Lions because we didn't need to fill our No. 1 QB!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Junkie to an extent on this topic. I don't think Bradford is done improving his game, so I think he can improve on the "average QB" label. Whether he is e QB to get them back to the SB is a different discussion entirely.

I too was wanting Suh that draft for the same reason Junkie mentioned- the Oline was terrible and I had visions of David Carr for Bradford. Although he survived his rookie season, it came back to bite them the next season. Part of Bradford lack of development can be specifically attributed to the Oline play and their lack of protection/time to throw.

We all know games are won and lost in the trenches. Although Suh has been a head case so far, there is no denying his is a disruptive force on the field and someone the offense has to pay extra attention to which leads to plays for other players.

Also, although I believe Bradford can be better, he does not strike me as the type of QB that makes players around him better, but rather, needs above average talent to be successful. He is not a Brady, Peyton, Rodgers type of QB that can make a bunch of cast offs and no name players successful or not miss a beat on offense when they lose key offensive weapons and are throwing to 3rd,4th and 5th strings guys.

I am confident Bradford will improve. I am not so sure he has the makeup to get the Rams to the SB. I sure hope I am wrong, but I don't see a lot of fire and passion for the game in him.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The choice was between Bradford or Suh. We couldn't trade the pick, there was no-one else rated as high as those 2, and whoever we picked was going to get that contract. I wouldn't have been upset if we'd picked Suh but I thought Bradford made more financial sense at that time, $8.5M per year as an average would have been a reasonable figure for an average QB - if that's all Bradford turned out to be. $8.5M for a DT could have set us back further if things didn't pan out. Saffold in round 2 was also a sensible pick once we'd picked Bradford. I think our GM made sound decisions with our 1st 5 picks in that Draft.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The choice was between Bradford or Suh. We couldn't trade the pick, there was no-one else rated as high as those 2, and whoever we picked was going to get that contract. I wouldn't have been upset if we'd picked Suh but I thought Bradford made more financial sense at that time, $8.5M per year as an average would have been a reasonable figure for an average QB - if that's all Bradford turned out to be. $8.5M for a DT could have set us back further if things didn't pan out. Saffold in round 2 was also a sensible pick once we'd picked Bradford. I think our GM made sound decisions with our 1st 5 picks in that Draft.

But, by taking Saffold, they passed on the trade with Carolina that would have netted them the #1 pick the following year that the Panthers used on Cam. There were reports the Panthers offered their first the following year to try and move up to take Clausen.

That was one of the things I didn't not like about the past 2 regimes. They would not move up and down the draft board the way this regime has. They stuck with their picks and made some terrible picks. They had an offer for the Jason Smith pick as well and turned it down. Oops!

Even if you leave the Rams with Bradford in 2010 instead of Suh, they could have taken AJ Green or Julio Jones with the #1 overall in 2011 as well as getting Quinn.

If you think the Rams should have taken Suh, then you have Cam at #1 and Nate Solder at #14.

The past regimes had a couple of good picks, but by standing pat with their picks, they really put this team in a big hole this current regime is just now climbing out of.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk it seems to me like suh, is on thin ice with his style of play. one more big action and i think he gets a half-year/ year suspension

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also don't think the decisions they made after round 3 were sensible.

Gilyard over Williams just because Williams had some character concerns ( thank you 4 pillars mantra ). How did that work out?

2 TE's in back to back rounds? All the good TE's were taken in rounds 2-4.

And, if you select a QB #1, shouldn't you draft some weapons for him? Gilyard, Hoo and Onobun in rounds 4-6 are the "weapons" you pick? They could have taken Graham in round 3 instead of Murphy.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and we can all play the "what if" game, but you have to agree that the past regimes were terrible at drafting. All you have to do is look at the current roster and see how few of their draft picks are still with the team to see that fact.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I did forget about Saffold in 2010 but still that is two picks in the first 33, we should get two starters especially if we are drafting a QB with No. 1 and an OT with No. 33 but after that ....

• Rd 3 Pick 65 CB Jerome Murphy CAST OFF,
  • Rd 4 Pick 99 WR Mardy Gilyard CAST OFF
  • Rd 5 Pick 132 TE Michael Hoomanawanui CAST OFF
  • Rd 5 Pick 149 DE Hall Davis CAST OFF.
Those are the first 5 rounds although we did pick up some depth in backups DE Eugene Sims and LB Josh Hull in the 6th and 7th rounds respectively.

The point is, with the lack of talent the Rams had, and believe me losing 42 games in just 3 years we lacked talent, we should have done better with attrition with our draft picks since Sam was drafted No. 1.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know hindsight is 20/20 and we can all play the "what if" game, but you have to agree that the past regimes were terrible at drafting. All you have to do is look at the current roster and see how few of their draft picks are still with the team to see that fact.
Oh and let's not forget about the FA in 2010...

• LB Na'il Diggs CAST OFF
  • CB Kevin Dockery CAST OFF
  • QB A.J. Feeley CAST OFF
  • G Hank Fraley CAST OFF
  • TE Darcy Johnson CAST OFF
  • DT Fred Robbins CAST OFF
Man Angels, they didn't just suck at drafting....:lol: