• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Vita. If you throw behind a WR, you are gonna get him hurt and plus he has no momentum to take and run. I think Sam has been off at times. Period.
Okay, I can certainly respect your opinion. However IMO there are times QB's have no choice but to throw the ball in an area where only the WR or TE and catch it. Of those times, when the quick slant is targeted, it's usually a passing down with short distance to go. The blitz is either on or bluffed and the defense keeping 8 in the box and up tight. Passing lanes close in and leading a WR can lead to an easy pick as well as get the WR hurt, if it's behind him and he knows it's going there the collision with the ILB can be minimized by spinning off, similar to a fighter rolling with a punch. There is no doubt Sam has been off at times and has had complete games where he was off too, but I'm just trying to make heads or tails of it since it happened so much more than in years past as a pro or in college.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita,

SO what you are saying that is maybe after year 5, we might know if this guy can be our starting QB?
Never said that however I think most, like me, have 'known' for the most part, all along.

How long are you willing to wait?
Junkie, we were the worst team in the league for 5 years straight. No, in all of sports! You seem to have some compassion for MB but are not wiling to look at the facts involved with Sammy, calling them excuses (ie. your sig. line)

We have had a lot of ground to make up since we've drafted Sammy and had two years of the idiot Spags screwing things up even more for our team. Just in one year Fisher & Snead have stopped the bleeding and have made much progress on the defense side of the ball.

There was a lot of progress on the offensive side of the ball late in the season, the red zone failures that plagued this team for years was put to bed along with the false starts. Sam's QBR went up too even though we played several playoff teams in that time frame.

I look at it this way, Sam was injury free, getting hit less and his play makers were making plays by that time, we were comfortable with Brian's system and on our way to improving as an offense. In our last 6 games, we went 4-2 and scored 28 points or more in two of the four road games in that span.

You may recall in one of those losses in the final 6 games, we were trailing by a TD and Sam got picked in the end zone with about 30 seconds left to play. It was a great play by Sherman however Sam needs to make those type of plays if he is going to take it to the next level.

All in all, I think the way we ended the season in those last six games, offensively, is something to build on and baring the question marks with have with our OL health and playmakers development, we will all probably find out the true potential of this guy THIS season.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are definitely times when the WR needs to be hit on his back shoulder sure. But there is a difference between back shoulder and 1-2' behind him on a slant to where the WR has to turn his body backwards and make a great catch. I saw Pettis do it numerous times last year.

And I specifically remember some of the throws Bradford made last year over the middle. I remember the commentator saying, "wow he had room to run and Sam just threw behind him".

We can keep making excuses for a guy in his what 4th year now... But the question remains, how many years will it take to find out if he's the guy at QB? How many drafts? How many excuses are you all gonna make?

I respect Sam. I think he's doing his best, hasn't had the best cast around him and he's not making any excuses. But is he going to be the QB that brings this all together and MAKES EVERYONE AROUND HIM BETTER? Look at Andrew Luck. Look at his weapons last year. LOL Colts/Rams offenses last year are scary similar.

Good/great players MAKE EVERYONE AROUND THEM BETTER.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being nice. It doesn't happen alot. I know Sam has not had the best talent to work with in the past.

But Andrew Luck didn't have alot either. But he came in and made people around him better, after being the worst team in football (minus Peyton Manning). Call it whatever you want.

Does Sam make everyone around him better?

We will see.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my question should have been... If the Rams struggle again on offense in 2013, are you all going to continue to blame WR's, RB's, TE's, and the O-line?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my question should have been... If the Rams struggle again on offense in 2013, are you all going to continue to blame WR's, RB's, TE's, and the O-line?

I'll blame Spags...

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said that however I think most, like me, have 'known' for the most part,
all along.

Sorry, not trying to be rude but you don't sound very confident here Vita.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MU welcome to the first debate of training camp. But if you throw in that Sam never had a chance, I think you have to throw Spags in there too. He wasn't the best HC, but I would take him as a DC all day. I don't care how bad the Saints were last year after losing some players and Sean Peyton.

The old regime put these people in this position. Sometimes failure happens, especially when people are clueless.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that Sam's year is this year. 2 year OC, more weapons, better O-line. More his team than #39. It's his time to put up or sit down.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ, Spags left some nice pieces on the D-line. I'd take him coaching the D any day as well. Dude did a great job with the Giants.

I've been pounding the table in Sam's defense that he hasn't had consistent coaching, suitable protection, or usable weapons. He's in his 2nd year under Schotty, has what should be a better O-line, and a lot of work has been done to arm the offense. I don't expect a pro-bowl this year because young players just don't step in and be great. I expect growth. This offense is young. I want to see steady growth and flashes of great play. If he shows me that I'm happy.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By growth I mean 4000 yards and 2.5TD/INT or better.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are definitely times when the WR needs to be hit on his back shoulder sure. But there is a difference between back shoulder and 1-2' behind him on a slant to where the WR has to turn his body backwards and make a great catch. I saw Pettis do it numerous times last year.
I think were talking about the same thing. Without pressure, or bad passing lanes, there is no excuse for throws 1-2' behind the WR.

We can keep making excuses for a guy in his what 4th year now...
Technically he is entering his fourth season, started and finished 41 games. BTW - No one was making excuses for him in Year 1 and no reason to make excuses for him in Year 4 (Hasn't played a game), Year 2 Started and finished 9 games and last year had his best year as a Pro, but let's not let the facts get in the way and call it four years of excuses.
But the question remains, how many years will it take to find out if he's the guy at QB? How many drafts? How many excuses are you all gonna make?
I answered this one for you, I found out in his rookie year. Will he be the guy who can lead us to the Superbowl and win it IDK, let's focus on a 10 win season and making the playoffs first.

I respect Sam. I think he's doing his best, hasn't had the best cast around him and he's not making any excuses. But is he going to be the QB that brings this all together and MAKES EVERYONE AROUND HIM BETTER? Look at Andrew Luck. Look at his weapons last year. LOL Colts/Rams offenses last year are scary similar.
Here's is where you and I differ quite a bit. I think the Colts who were a pretty darn good football team with many double digit seasons year after year put on a suck for Luck year going 2-14, supported by winning what 11 games last year? Do you really think that Luck would have won 11 games with the Rams last year with the ball control offense run by Fisher and Shottie?

Good question and I'm glad you asked. I think we should place the blame where the blame belongs. Using a ball controlled offense, like we did last year, how many rushing TD's did we score? We have a lot of talent with our playmakers however it is untested and so is the continued health of our OL.

Last I don't think we will struggle like we did last year, yet will grow like we did last year. Our scoring that struggled last year improved around 8ppg, should we do that this year, we wont be losing too many games. Hell Junkie, I'll take a 4-6ppg improvement, that should get us to the playoffs if our defense keeps it up!

Last edited by a moderator:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suggesting that there was great improvement in the Rams offense during the last 6 games doesn't mesh with how I remember the season. We stuffed the Cardinals who were hopeless and in a 1-10 run. We edged the 49ers 16-13 with 10 points on defense. We edged the Bills in the last 5 minutes after being shut-out for 40 minutes. (It was the fracking Bills!!!). The Vikings handed us our ass. The Buccaneers were God-awful, (lost 41-0 the previous week). The Seahawks held us to 1 TD.

I don't think it matters though. 5 of the 11 starters have gone.

If we struggle on offense in 2013 it'll probably be due to 3 factors. 1) We don't have 1 injury-free starter who has played at a near ProBowl level. 2) Our rushing attack is the weakest in the league on paper at this time, (RBs and run-blocking O-Line). 3) We have more new & young players coming in than other teams. Inexperience will hurt us.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Luck's schedule was a little easier for one. But when you break down last year's Colts/Rams offense it's scary how much they look alike. Rams had the better RB. Who did the Colts even have back there? Colts had the experienced WR in Wayne at 34 years old? But after him, the rest of the cast is not much better than the Rams. If anything the Rams WR's last year 2-6 was better than the Colts WR's on the depth chart.

Defense? Ours was way better and helped our offense.

Question 2: if our defense doesn't have a pick 6 versus San Fran and in a few other games, what's our record last year?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck wouldn't have won 11 games with us last year. RG3 wouldn't have either. The Colts wouldn't have won 11 games against our schedule. They had a negative points differential that was 60+ points worse than the other 11 playoff teams. They ranked around #21 in that category.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ, Spags left some nice pieces on the D-line. I'd take him coaching the D
any day as well. Dude did a great job with the Giants.

I've been
pounding the table in Sam's defense that he hasn't had consistent coaching,
suitable protection, or usable weapons. He's in his 2nd year under Schotty, has
what should be a better O-line, and a lot of work has been done to arm the
offense. I don't expect a pro-bowl this year because young players just don't
step in and be great. I expect growth. This offense is young. I want to see
steady growth and flashes of great play. If he shows me that I'm happy.

I think you nailed it. Expect some bumps and some flashes. I think I predicted 4-12 last year, so 8-8 is a big step for me.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck is a bad mofo. Couple comebacks last year and handed Green Bay there ass! New England?

Luck makes everyone around him look good!

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being nice. It doesn't happen alot. I know Sam has not had the best talent to work with in the past.

But Andrew Luck didn't have alot either. But he came in and made people around him better, after being the worst team in football (minus Peyton Manning). Call it whatever you want.

Does Sam make everyone around him better?

We will see.

What do you mean, Luck had Donnie Avery to throw to.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Ok so let looks dammit:

Reggie Wayne over Danny Amendola (closer than you think - but Amendola was out)
Chris Givens / TY Hilton - draw (I say Givens, but I will give you this)
Austin Pettis / Donnie Avery?
Brian Quick / Levon Brazil?
Gibson / ??
Dwayne Allen and Lance Kendricks had almost identical seasons.

O-line? Both were not that good. Luck's guys rallied. Sam's guys had good games when Sam did not, and sometimes they put it all together.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya it's hard to keep on blaming the crappy skill players.....

There are a lot of question marks though around this offense. Problem is none of the skill players are proven. NONE of them.
Honestly I think we'll have around a 500 record this year too many people with "potential" rather than people who are difference makers.

Last edited by a moderator: