• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Considering Mannion If Goff Can't Play

Raminator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams are considering starting Sean Mannion at quarterback Week 16 against the 49ers if Jared Goff (concussion) can't play.

The Rams already know who Case Keenum is, and he's a free agent after the season. They'd like to see if Mannion has what it takes to be the No. 2 next year. Goff remained in the concussion protocol on Monday, and the team would like to make a decision on the starter by Thursday. Mannion, the No. 89 pick in the 2015 draft, completed 6-of-7 passes for 31 yards in one mop-up appearance as a rookie. He went 39-of-60 for 325 yards and a 4:1 TD:INT ratio last preseason.
Source: ESPN.com

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you are right, but the article that I read stated that Mannion will be promoted to back up!
We'll get to watch the next Hall of Shamer Case Keenum again! :trash:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins part 2?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone in the FO has serious wood for Keenum if he starts another game.
Which is beyond baffling. No point putting Keenum in there since we already know what he is and no playoff spot to worry about losing. Might as well put in Mannion to see what we have in him.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We said all this last year, and it didn't happen, why in the hell would you want to play a guy you drafted in the 3rd round, it's more interesting if you don't, then there's always that mystery and wonder?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fisher was still the coach, this would never be considered which is pretty ironic since he drafted the guy.

Also, Keenum is going to be a FA and will most likely be gone, so they need to find out of Mannion can be a legit backup or not.

The big question would be, if Mannion plays well, would the Rams FO have the brass to play him over Goff.

It would be a very similar situation to Washington when they started Cousins over RG3 even when he was healthy enough to play ( and they gave up more for RG3 than the Rams did for Goff )

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've already said, I think we beat SF with anyone we start at QB, and that includes Mannion, if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, wait a minute we always do that

Never mind

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fisher was still the coach, this would never be considered which is pretty ironic since he drafted the guy.

Also, Keenum is going to be a FA and will most likely be gone, so they need to find out of Mannion can be a legit backup or not.

The big question would be, if Mannion plays well, would the Rams FO have the brass to play him over Goff.

It would be a very similar situation to Washington when they started Cousins over RG3 even when he was healthy enough to play ( and they gave up more for RG3 than the Rams did for Goff )
If Mannion does play well, I believe that they'd probably trade him for some draft picks and pick up someone in the draft and/or re-sign Keenum for another year as a backup.
As I've already said, I think we beat SF with anyone we start at QB, and that includes Mannion, if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, wait a minute we always do that

Never mind
Well, we thought that we'd take care of business against them with ease week one and that was probably the most hated humiliating defeat among the many this year. So like you implied, never take anything for granted with this team.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mannion does play well, I believe that they'd probably trade him for some draft picks and pick up someone in the draft and/or re-sign Keenum for another year as a backup.

Well, we thought that we'd take care of business against them with ease week one and that was probably the most hated humiliating defeat among the many this year. So like you implied, never take anything for granted with this team.

Except, no team is going to give the Rams anything of value for a guy that's played all of 2 games in his career ( even if he does play well ).

And certainly not a 3rd rounder which is what they have invested in him.

If he does play well, they are better off keeping him as the backup/potential starter should something happen.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, no team is going to give the Rams anything of value for a guy that's played all of 2 games in his career ( even if he does play well ).

And certainly not a 3rd rounder which is what they have invested in him.

If he does play well, they are better off keeping him as the backup/potential starter should something happen.

So maybe our new coach comes in and makes a new competition at qb!.... Mannion vs Goff?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe our new coach comes in and makes a new competition at qb!.... Mannion vs Goff?

You would certainly think the new coach would have the leverage to do that.

It would also be the smart thing to do. Let's face it, just because Goff was taken where he was doesn't mean the HC should run him out there every week if he truly isn't ready.

The new HC should make Goff earn the job rather than just hand him the keys. It will make him work that much harder, which is a good thing.

Bottom line is, LA wants to see a winner on the field no matter who is starting under center.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ALR make Goff earn the spot. I would even go as far as to search for and bring in another QB just in case Goff is still struggling next season. Some very good college players for whatever reason just do not pan out in the NFL. The Rams need to be ready if that is the case. Lets not forget who selected him over the other QB's in the draft. Mr. don't know talent Fisher.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that happens, the Rams have likely missed on the big name guys. It seems that Goff could be a draw for some of the available offensive types.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Goff will start.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should've left Goff in protocol and started amannion as bad as our offense played