• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 9, Seahawks 14- Fifth Loss

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a night with a national audience and the World Series going on down the street, there were many great things occurring for the Rams and the effort was pretty good for the most part. However. they simply could not overcome their mistakes and miscues on offense to finish out a very winnable game. Robert Quinn set a new Rams record in being the first Rams player to get 10 sacks in the first 8 games of the season. Quinn had three, C. Long had three, Hayes had one. The defense played its best game of the year and stifled the Seattle offense into a meager 135 total yards, 44 of which were rushing yards.

In a season where our running game has been pathetic and meager, Zac Stacey had his first 100+ yard game (134 yards before getting injured) and the Rams pounded a staunch Seattle defense and had their first 200 yard rushing night and the offense had a total of 358 yards. But all of that was not good enough as the Rams decision-making process on offense disintegrated on the four yard line with time running out and we suffered one of the toughest losses of the season. Many have suggested this team is snake bit and the evidence can certainly substantiate that claim, but the Rams did a lot of good things tonight and this may be another step in the growing pains of this very young team.

On offense. The positives. Kellen Clemons stepped into a tough situation and had a pretty decent outing by being gutsy and guiding the team to 358 total yards. He finished the night going 15/31 for 158 yards. The Rams offense found its running game racking up 200 total rushing yards among primarily two RBs: Zac Stacey with 26 carries for 134 yards and Darryl Richardson with 8 crries for 39 yards. Even Clemons had 2 carries for 11 yards and took a viscious hit in the thrid quarter. The offense had 3 times as many first downs as Seattle (23-7) and we had 12 times as many first downs rushing than Seattle (12-1). None of the receivers had a great night but did make some clutch catches that helped move the chains.

The negatives. I don't know when this offense is going to get the losing out of their heads but John Gruden mentioned that he can't understand the need for these young players to continually shoot themselves in the foot at the worst time. The two interceptions by Clemons just killed us and may have been the difference in the game even though the defense kept the Rams in it right to the very end. Even though we dominated the Seahags in nearly every category, we were 0-4 in the redzone. This has been a pattern with the offense for many years now and we simply continue to revert back to a default mentality that kills us. But what else killed us was penalties by the offensive line that were often drive killers. Harvey Dahl had three, Saffold had his usual false start after returning to the line-up, and Jake Long was caught twice being illgeally downfield. Dahl was getting killed all night long. Perhaps he may need to be sent packing at the end of the season. We also gave up 3 sacks. The wide receivers joined in the krap by dropping footballs and not getting separation as Gruden mentioned that they are just killing this offense.

On Defense. The positives. The story of this game was the defense! This defense played balls out all game long with Quinn, C. Long, and Hayes getting seven sacks. Quinn set a record mentioned above and Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson had great nights tackling and batting down balls. Even Cortland Finnegan made appearances in the nickel package and a couple of reps at safety!! The linebackers had a quiet night but either Fisher or Walton or both put a version of the old Chicago 46 defense in stacking 8 men in the box that took away Seattle's running lanes and just shut down their offense.

The negatives. Not many here except for Jenkins misjudging a sure INT and then watching Golden Tate get caught for taunting on a TD play. This baiting players started in the Panthers game and the rest of the league now knows they can bait the young Rams players and it often works. Tonight Seattle tried it and they almost got a few players but the D stayed together and kicked major ass!!

Special Teams. The STs had one holding penalty but stayed out of trouble most of the night. Tavon Austin still has yet to get a break to really take off. And of course, after three successful field goals, Zuerlein missed a 50 yarder that would have been the difference as we could have kicked a fifth one to win by 1 point at the end when the offense was fading.

As I stated before, this was a very tough loss. The playcalling at the end was a mistake and Fisher and Shottenheimer have to be held accountable. When they had a great night running the ball and ran the ball 5 times and threw it 3 times on the final drive, one or both of these guys went into pass mode and we did not get it done. Four yards and this team still has an aversion to scoring TDs and they have yet to score one runnng the ball this year. This was the chance of a season, and they laid a proverbial egg the size of the arch outside the dome. Tough loss that stings!! On we go and maybe this team will get it straight but I doubt anyone is now holding their breath!!

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post game analysis Retro...Gruden was spot on with his analysis during the game and at moments made me feel really embarrassed to be a Rams fan at the buffoonery on offense by the WR and the TE's. If it weren't for Seattle's unnecessary roughness plays at least 3 of those drives would have ended in punts. It is clear that Givens cannot handle being #1 and is more suited as a #2 or a #3. He lacks focus and drops too many balls to be considered a true #1, in addition to that he hasn't been able to shed coverages from decent DB's. I think its time that we find a Veteran wideout from somewhere that isn't afraid to catch the football. Obviously Quick doesn't get it,Givens doesn't get it, and the rest are following suit. No one is stepping up when they need too and it's as if they are looking for the next person to make a play. We need to see what Barrett Jones can bring to the table at G or C, and maybe keep playing Finnegan at Safety.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Jermaine on all of your points. I wanted to hear what John Gruden had to say because his analysis is usually spot on and he did not disappoint tonight. He stated what SJ76 has been saying all along about Austin AND Bailey. You don't draft a WR in the 8th spot of the first round or pick a prolific receiver like Bailey to have them spend the majority of offensive snaps standing on the sidelines and someone is not using their personnel correctly and as Gruden put it, this is killing this offense.

I also agree on changes on the O-line. When Shelly Smith filled in for Dahl when Dahl got hurt, Clemons did not see someone coming up the gut. Smith is better than Dahl and if not Smith, put Jones in at center and Smith at Right Guard since Saffold has returned. Barksdale did return when fatass was called for a false start and stayed in the rest of the night. Finnegan did quite well at safety and I think they found a home for him where he can do the most damage while playing Jenkins and Johnson who is really coming on of late.

I think they just need to stop with this losing mentality on offense because the defense can plain shut-down people whenever they want. Badasses the lot of them.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And give it up for the fans that were there and stayed! They made some noise even though the Cardinals can't hit, the Rams D was hittin!

Loved it. Remember too, that last drive looked pretty solid. Would have been a 98 yard drive with a back-up QB and on the 2nd best D in the NFL (as of now).

It was a good effort and no one expected that. So I got no beef with anyone on last night.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is clear that Givens cannot handle being #1 and is more suited as a #2 or a
#3. He lacks focus and drops too many balls to be considered a true #1, in
addition to that he hasn't been able to shed coverages from decent DB's. I
think its time that we find a Veteran wideout from somewhere that isn't afraid
to catch the football. Obviously Quick doesn't get it,Givens doesn't get it,
and the rest are following suit. No one is stepping up when they need too and
it's as if they are looking for the next person to make a play.

In comes Sammy "muthafuckin" Watkins. lol

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And give it up for the fans that were there and stayed! They made some noise even though the Cardinals can't hit, the Rams D was hittin!

I was there until the very last play last night... very loud crowd... very pumped up... I was impressed!!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSU you live in STL? We need to have a beer meng.. I live in Ballwin. Ballin in ballwin. We go grab a beer and watch a game this winter.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ76, let's dream for a second... Rams draft either Watkins or Mike Evans in round 1. Cut Brian Quick. Then you have Watkins/Evans, Givens, Austin, Bailey, Pettis and another young guy along with Cook as a TE. :omg:
With the right QB... that unit could be VERY dangerous

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few points about that long Tate TD:

Gruden pointed out that this was one of the first plays where the Rams went 2 deep safeties instead of 8 in the box. Would that pressure have prevented the long pass?

If a taunting flag is thrown before the TD is scored, why is it treated as a dead ball foul? It should be a spot foul at worst.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And absoDAMNlutely SJ we need to go grab a beer..we will need to do it on a Monday night. I am usually at the radio station on Sundays from 2-7.... Y98...tune in and maybe give me a call. It is nice as I have my tv AND all the tv's in the KMOX studios to watch on gamedays!

I live in North County BTW

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSUDodgers. Sounds like you have a dream job dude!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ76, let's dream for a second... Rams draft either Watkins or Mike Evans in round 1. Cut Brian Quick. Then you have Watkins/Evans, Givens, Austin, Bailey, Pettis and another young guy along with Cook as a TE. :omg:
With the right QB... that unit could be VERY dangerous

I think Kendrick is fine as the second TE. If anything, Cook is the one not performing up to snuff.

As far as WR, I think the Rams need a vet, not another rookie. If the Cards stick to their statement yesterday that they won't trade Fitz, maybe pick up Hakeem Nicks (or Boldin if he can be pryed away from the 49ers).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or hire Torry Holt as the WRs coach and I guarantee you, all of the problems John Gruden identified last evening with our WRs like not creating space between themselves and the defender, not rescuing the QB who is scrambling and ad-libing like Clemons did last night on several occasions and Quick just froze, and dropping balls like no tomorrow, etc., etc., will cease.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit yeah bro. KSU you busy every sunday huh?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant another young WR as a 6th WR... not getting rid of Kendricks... my bad shopson

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit yeah bro. KSU you busy every sunday huh?

For the most part yeah... sometimes I work Saturdays and not Sundays... just depends how the bosses put the schedule together. But I get it a month at a time. So we can plan.. anyone else on the board actually in STL?? We should ALL get together.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSUDodgers. Sounds like you have a dream job dude!!

Would be even better if THAT was the full time gig. But I play banker during the week.. LOL:yahoo:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big question... Would you rather have Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Or Clemens from the opponents 2 yard line with 30 seconds to go?

Lol