• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quick review of some of our players and the game

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whoever is responsible for ball control awareness needs to get a kick in the ass. Whether it is the position coaches or all the way up to Harbaugh. LMJ's fumble was completely preventable if these guys were taught to wrap up with both arms when they get into crowds.

Along with LMJ, both VD and Crabs were running with the ball swinging with very long arm motions in space and as soon as the defense closed in on them, neither of them made an effort to give extra protection for the ball. It was really lucky VD didn't fumble on the left sideline when the Ravens went for a strip and on one of Crabtree's catches to the right side where he turned to the middle and up field he got hit and spun around and he almost lost it like the Falcons game but was able to react quickly enough to regain control with his other arm.

Seems like a petty gripe, but I feel like instead of letting these guys fight for an extra half a yard the coaching staff needs to remind them to protect the ball. Two years in a row and the losses can be directly traced back to a fumble where the guy could have done a better job of protecting it. They have to take it more seriously

correct, and Kap too.

all of them need to wrap that ball much sooner.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I forgot to put this in the original post but especially in the first half, it seemed like the Ravens knew our plays and what we were going to do. It seemed really obvious in the beginning of the game. With the 2nd half excitement and all I forgot about this, and it appeared we did fix most of the issue in the 2nd half.

Just on sound fx on NFL Network, Ray Lewis and few Ravens are saying this too that they know what we are going to run.

I forgot who has all said this in the past but I have heard this comment I think a couple of times from teams this season. I think the Falcons said something about this before our game against them?

This seems like an issue with us that we need to change for next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whoever is responsible for ball control awareness needs to get a kick in the ass. Whether it is the position coaches or all the way up to Harbaugh. LMJ's fumble was completely preventable if these guys were taught to wrap up with both arms when they get into crowds.

Along with LMJ, both VD and Crabs were running with the ball swinging with very long arm motions in space and as soon as the defense closed in on them, neither of them made an effort to give extra protection for the ball. It was really lucky VD didn't fumble on the left sideline when the Ravens went for a strip and on one of Crabtree's catches to the right side where he turned to the middle and up field he got hit and spun around and he almost lost it like the Falcons game but was able to react quickly enough to regain control with his other arm.

Seems like a petty gripe, but I feel like instead of letting these guys fight for an extra half a yard the coaching staff needs to remind them to protect the ball. Two years in a row and the losses can be directly traced back to a fumble where the guy could have done a better job of protecting it. They have to take it more seriously

Can't speak for the other positions, but I know Tom Rathman is all about ball security. He constantly harps on securing the ball and the four points of contact. I'm not so worried about the RBs, James just has to learn to hold onto that ball. The other positions are a concern, though. Got to tuck that ball in the open field.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as players, Ahmad Brooks frustrates me. He's a talented player, and I like the story, but how does he jump offsides on that first drive? He was literally on top of the ball. How hard is it to teach yourself to watch the ball and ignore the snap count? He got eaten up by misdirection against the Hawks (I think) as well. He was a big part of our win over the falcons, and he plays all three phases of D (run, rush, coverage) well, but the mental lapses are frustrating for a guy who is certainly not a young player at this point.

A lot of people are mad at Randy for the INT. I agree with Sando's take. That ball was a good five feet over his head. The only way he even has a remote chance is if Kap had led him more. There are some legit questions about Randy, but I don't think jumping would have made any difference there. And I don't think he could react quickly enough given where the ball was to really make a play on it.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as players, Ahmad Brooks frustrates me. He's a talented player, and I like the story, but how does he jump offsides on that first drive? He was literally on top of the ball. How hard is it to teach yourself to watch the ball and ignore the snap count? He got eaten up by misdirection against the Hawks (I think) as well. He was a big part of our win over the falcons, and he plays all three phases of D (run, rush, coverage) well, but the mental lapses are frustrating for a guy who is certainly not a young player at this point.

A lot of people are mad at Randy for the INT. I agree with Sando's take. That ball was a good five feet over his head. The only way he even has a remote chance is if Kap had led him more. There are some legit questions about Randy, but I don't think jumping would have made any difference there. And I don't think he could react quickly enough given where the ball was to really make a play on it.

Im curious as to what brooks stats are on offsides since he has been here. He seems to always be the one. I agree though that play killed us. We had them stopped and they would of only been up 3-0 or hell they could of missed the fg. Instead it was a quick 7-0.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Greg Cosell this morning on KNBR, saying that no one wants to blame Kap......and he thinks Kap will be a great player......but that the kid brain farted on 2 of the final 3 passes. Cosell said he thinks Kap was thinking Crabtree out of the huddle on 3rd down and didn't even look at an open VD.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Cosell this morning on KNBR, saying that no one wants to blame Kap......and he thinks Kap will be a great player......but that the kid brain farted on 2 of the final 3 passes. Cosell said he thinks Kap was thinking Crabtree out of the huddle on 3rd down and didn't even look at an open VD.

I like Cosell, but in this instance he needs to do a better job of watching the game film - it wasn't an open VD it was an open DW

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just the Ravens, many teams this year realized that and gameplan around that. We are just so lucky to have great talent around him to compensate for that weakness (great FS and pass rush). However, when our great talent supporting cast are not having a good day (Dline and safeties) he gets exposed. Flacco's gameplan was to target him and him only. Tarrel Brown didn't get picked on and was ignored all night. They were committed to sticking to their gameplan of scheming towards #29. Showing us formations that force our hands to put him against their deep threat within a specific play.

Great pass rush? ha ha ha ha! Which games were you watching?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im curious as to what brooks stats are on offsides since he has been here. He seems to always be the one. I agree though that play killed us. We had them stopped and they would of only been up 3-0 or hell they could of missed the fg. Instead it was a quick 7-0.

Agreed. That was a killer.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great pass rush? ha ha ha ha! Which games were you watching?

The same games in which I saw Culliver having the tendencies to give up the big plays. It was documented before the SB that getting one-on-one matchup against Culliver was the best recipe to win the game for the Ravens. NFL coaches knew that, Vic Fangio knows this and still chose not to gameplan around that weakness. Our pass rush was descent during the SB, it was just a matter of being unable to bring down the QB to the ground. We kept flushing him out of the pocket and Flacco is known to be one of the best throwers on the run we have in the NFL, so even though we flushed him out of the pocket, it served no purpose because he is capable of throwing on the run as accurately as he is able to stand in the pocket. The pass rush was there, Brown and Rogers did their jobs for the most part (a few hiccups here and there) - but our 3rd string corner was simply pathetic. He's our 2013 version of Kyle Williams. Bar None!

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1625pab.jpg

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
-Safety Donte Whitner allowed five catches for 57 yards and two touchdowns among the six passes that came his way.

Knew he didnt play good but, geez...

The first one was to Boldin on the seam route, and the second one was a down and in to Dennis I Pitta-a-fool.

The first one could have been avoided if the drive had ended earlier. The drive did not end because Culliver had gotten beat deep by Boldi. The play Flacco launched it deep in field play as he was being chased out of bounds (running towards the sideline).

At the end of the day, Whitner gave up 57 yards, and together both Rogers & Brown combined to give up 60 yards. How was he able to throw for a total of 287yards??? Geezus!!

Last edited by a moderator: