• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Questions/recommendations on painting my garage floor

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found some of my nephews finger paints and to save money I am going to use it to paint my garage floor. Should I use my hands or a brush? I have really big hands so.....I am leaning towards hands.

Ok, lets get serious.......the asshole previous owner decided it would be a good idea to seal the garage floor with a clear sealant when the floor looks like someone with one arm tried to swat a fly out of the air while holding 12 milk jugs with no caps, filled to the brim with used motor oil and wood stain. Somehow, the sealant is still holding well but I am tired of my wife bitching about how the floor looks and domestic violence isn't the route to go anymore thanks to Ray Rice. I need to paint the floor.

Questions:

1-Do I need to etch the entire surface first after I clean it or are their products that I can use that don't require etching the sealant off?

2-Its a very smooth floor that is pitched towards the drain in the middle so traction is a concern. Its slippery now with just the old sealant so do I have to add something gritty to the paint to fix that problem?

3-Any products out there that you recommend?

I am a 36 year old garage floor painting virgin so any suggestions are appreciated. I don't trust asking a 22 year old Lowes employee that believes he knows best because he memorized every products location on aisle 7 in the plumbing section. Complete strangers are much more reliable IMO :suds:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are on the right track with the etching. Before I even opened this I was thinking about how most garage floors are really smooth and how it might be difficult for paint of any kind to stick and stay down.

If it has had a sealant, then I would think that you absolutely have to get that off and rough up the surface, maybe it's a one step process with some kind of product, don't know, but would guess it is.

I think they make a special paint for garage floors, check it out. If they don't, then maybe use paint for a porch or concrete steps. All important driving a 2 ton car onto it and spilling gasoline/solvents and such on it.

I would must make sure it's not slippery when dry.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you do.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you choose to go with an epoxy paint/sealer, don't skimp on it and spread it thin. We used it on the basement floor of my fraternity house, and tried to stretch it. Definitely a mistake. It needed to be re-done within weeks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go cheap, don't cut corners, and read everything before you even start. Yes you need to etch it. if you think it is slick now, wait until you have a good coat. You can get a textured material to help, though. You might think about that. Mine is still sealed from the builder, and that thing is slick as snot any time it rains. Not sure you can avoid the slick, but if you put flakes in there it will help the look and the slipperyness.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F3raa2jlyc3kqK361PPUBrvjpR0qpLKkVFnS3fIzkng=s219-p-no

mtQ99qiHlQGbNlov-Pdy-qf3DcVLb7-fv_LROETlPLg=s219-p-no

IMG_20140330_194614_599.jpg

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and after one year of jacks and jack stands, dropping tools, car repairs, etc. Still like new. Scuffsf and hot tire marks wipe right off. Best part about this stuff is that it shines like that with out a clear coat.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go cheap, don't cut corners, and read everything before you even start. Yes you need to etch it. if you think it is slick now, wait until you have a good coat. You can get a textured material to help, though. You might think about that. Mine is still sealed from the builder, and that thing is slick as snot any time it rains. Not sure you can avoid the slick, but if you put flakes in there it will help the look and the slipperyness.

I spent an entire week prepping the floor and 2 days painting it with epoxy coat. I figured the flakes were enough but when it rains it's pretty slick. This winter is going to be fun.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn man, that is CLEAN garage. I told my wife the next house will have a 3 car garage, a larger driveway, and a yard big enough to have a legit workshop in the backyard. Got rushed into our current short driveway, two car, postage stamp yard. Not this next time. Of course it needs a pool too, so I'm looking at a new town or a chunk of change.

Totally worth it. Or she can let me buy some land not too far out of DFW and build a small cabin with a big workshop :)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff! Much appreciated! I will have look into everything suggested and hopefully figure out the plan and get it dont before it gets too cold. Will post results when I can get it all done.

Been in this house for 5 years and keep finding more stupid shortcuts the previous owner pulled and I am considering hunting him down and beating the ever living shit out of him and the dipshit home inspector I used.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff! Much appreciated! I will have look into everything suggested and hopefully figure out the plan and get it dont before it gets too cold. Will post results when I can get it all done.

Been in this house for 5 years and keep finding more stupid shortcuts the previous owner pulled and I am considering hunting him down and beating the ever living shit out of him and the dipshit home inspector I used.

That's the worst thing about being a homeowner, finding the shortcuts they took and then the reasons they took them. :gaah:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn man, that is CLEAN garage. I told my wife the next house will have a 3 car garage, a larger driveway, and a yard big enough to have a legit workshop in the backyard. Got rushed into our current short driveway, two car, postage stamp yard. Not this next time. Of course it needs a pool too, so I'm looking at a new town or a chunk of change.

Totally worth it. Or she can let me buy some land not too far out of DFW and build a small cabin with a big workshop :)

Lol. The garage is cleaner and has more upgrades put into it that the rest of the house. And these pictures were from before I hung up all the Ford Racing swag and installed the air compressor. What you don't see is the six 4' fluorescent light fixtures and the big fan. Garage is almost ready for "Project Fox Body" only thing missing is an '86 4-eye with t-tops.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Ford, we can trade houses. Now that all the kids are leaving we are finding out that this is too much house and the freakin yard takes all day to now and stuff...

My wife wants to move closer to Dallas and wants a smaller house. What ever she wants is cool with me as long as I have enough room to build a shop with a lift.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The people that owned my house before I bought it didn't water the grass. I live in a part of Texas referred to as the "black lands" keeping the yard watered is a must over here or the dirt will shrink up like a sponge. Starting to find cracks in the walls and every time there is a big storm I find myself outside cutting up a downed tree the next day.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people that owned my house before I bought it didn't water the grass. I live in a part of Texas referred to as the "black lands" keeping the yard watered is a must over here or the dirt will shrink up like a sponge. Starting to find cracks in the walls and every time there is a big storm I find myself outside cutting up a downed tree the next day.

Holy shit that sounds like it could become a HUGE problem. I have a friend here in Southern Indiana whos house started to crack everywhere. Come to find out, old coal mines run under the house and the ground is now shifting/sinking. He is basically screwed.