• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Book recommendations

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have talked to a few of you about this, but I am interested in starting a thread with book recommendations. This is a well-rounded and well-educated board and I am guessing we have some posters who enjoy reading. This is NOT meant to be a book club-type thread....LOL, but I am curious about what posters are reading and what suggestions they have. This can be something you are reading, have read, or about to read.

My feelings won't be hurt if this thread dies quickly as this isn't Commanders related, but I thought it would be interesting. I look forward to any suggestions....you are deck Rowdy as you owe me a recommendation...LOL

Feel free to move the thread or delete as necessary Skinsdad. To start off:

I just wrapped up "Midnight at Chernobyl" by Adam Higginbotham and I am about to start "Grant" by Ron Chernow.

Thanks!

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NonFiction: Bad Blood by John Carreyrou

Fiction: Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr

Let’s start there.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the best written series of books ever is ”The Harry Potter“ series. They are better than the movies.

If you want another great series that they need to make movies on, it is “Going Home” series by A American. It is ten books, fictional but realistic, and it is about survival after a major catastrophe. The books are 150-200 pages each.

The Walking Dead comics were good.

The original Jurassic Park book was excellent, as was anything by Grisham in that time frame such as The Client, A time to Kill, Pelican Brief, and The Firm.

Tom Clancy’s Patriot Games series is good to include going through Rainbow Six.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the best written series of books ever is ”The Harry Potter“ series. They are better than the movies.

If you want another great series that they need to make movies on, it is “Going Home” series by A American. It is ten books, fictional but realistic, and it is about survival after a major catastrophe. The books are 150-200 pages each.

The original Jurassic Park book was excellent, as was anything by Grisham in that time frame such as The Client, A time to Kill, Pelican Brief, and The Firm.

Tom Clancy’s Patriot Games series is good to include going through Rainbow Six.
I agree...the Walking Dead comics were amazing. I loved the TV show but it starting falling apart for me after Rick vanished.

Is "Going Home" like the "One Second After" series? I enjoy books/movies like that. "Threads" still haunts me as it was the UK version of "The Day After".

Thanks for the suggestions.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NonFiction: Bad Blood by John Carreyrou

Fiction: Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr

Let’s start there.
Well done Chiller.

I believe the author of Cloud Cuckoo Land wrote "All the Light We Cannot See".
"Bad Blood" looks awesome.

Both are on my future to read list.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well done Chiller.

I believe the author of Cloud Cuckoo Land wrote "All the Light We Cannot See".
"Bad Blood" looks awesome.

Both are on my future to read list.

Correct. Doerr wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning All the Light We Cannot See.

Bad Blood was an amazing book. Hard to believe Elizabeth Holmes fleeced as many people as she did with her web of lies. Incredible book.

Harry Potter being one of the greatest series ever written?!?!? That’s……….a stretch.

Duke: ever read any Frederik Backman? Man Called Ove, Beartown, Anxious People, etc?

One of the best series I’ve ever read is a three book series whose first book is titled “Beartown.”

It’s like “Friday Night Lights,” but with hockey - centered around two small swedish hockey towns but not about hockey really.

Amazing, Amazing series.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any movies that are better than the books that they were written after?

Samurai Night Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For non-fiction, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Harari is a really good read. Touches on a lot of history in a fascinating way, along with the follow up Homo Deus. I also would recommend Denialism by Michael Specter.

For fiction, I really liked Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer which is also better than the movie (although the movie wasn't bad).

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. Doerr wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning All the Light We Cannot See.

Bad Blood was an amazing book. Hard to believe Elizabeth Holmes fleeced as many people as she did with her web of lies. Incredible book.

Harry Potter being one of the greatest series ever written?!?!? That’s……….a stretch.

Duke: ever read any Frederik Backman? Man Called Ove, Beartown, Anxious People, etc?

One of the best series I’ve ever read is a three book series whose first book is titled “Beartown.”

It’s like “Friday Night Lights,” but with hockey - centered around two small swedish hockey towns but not about hockey really.

Amazing, Amazing series.
No, but I hear "Man Called Ove" is fantastic. I will check out "Beartown".

I mostly read history to be honest. I am going to try to knock out "American Prometheus" before the Chris Nolan movie comes out in July. I love Chris Nolan movies. I find Oppenheimer incredibly interesting.

"Midnight at Chernobyl" was a page turner for sure. I strongly recommend. Skinsdad probably has read it.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am reading The Lodge by Grace Hamilton right now . Any Apocalyptic books are great I really enjoy that genre specially E.M.P survival when I am done with book 6 in the lodge series .. i am Going Read the 4 book series The Tracker

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Clancy’s Patriot Games series is good to include going through Rainbow
Have you read Black Autumn yet.. I heard good things about Going Home Series

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, Clive Cussler passed away a few years back. I loved his novels, particularly the original Dirk Pitt series. These are pure escapist adventure fun. As an old retired fart, I am not trying to expand my horizons, just enjoy myself with a paperback book on a beach or a plane.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Empire of the summer moon. an aboslutely riveting book about the settling of the southwest and the baddest group ever to grace this continent, the Comanches. They were brutal to their enemies, even the other Indian nations avoided them at all costs.

another great read is Issac’s Storm by Erik Larson. It’s an account of the great hurricane that caught Galveston by surprise in 1900, leaving death and destruction for hundreds of miles inland.

if you like historical accounts, don’t pass these two up.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...the Walking Dead comics were amazing. I loved the TV show but it starting falling apart for me after Rick vanished.

Is "Going Home" like the "One Second After" series? I enjoy books/movies like that. "Threads" still haunts me as it was the UK version of "The Day After".

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yeah, I thought the comics were better. No season was better than when the Governor was involved for the show. By far the best era of TWD.

I don’t know anything about “One Second After.” The basic premise of the first book is a dude trying to get home after a catastrophe. The remainder of the books involve what comes next. It is very well laid out.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you read Black Autumn yet.. I heard good things about Going Home Series

I started to read some of the spin offs and I can’t remember which ones. I think I got so vested in the Going Home series that I could not get into the others. I know I read the one where they go from GA to Texas. It was good. And I read the one where they end up in Cali.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair question and I cannot think of any.
I thought the The Firm was pretty well done far as the movie n had the same break neck pace of the book. I think someone could pretty much make The Running Man and just follow practically word for word n it could be a spectacular movie. No one has had more butchered by movies than Stephen King. but.................King's The Mist is a better movie than the book as it was true to the book, but the ending change of the movie puts it ovver the top.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the The Firm was pretty well done far as the movie n had the same break neck pace of the book. I think someone could pretty much make The Running Man and just follow practically word for word n it could be a spectacular movie. No one has had more butchered by movies than Stephen King. but.................King's The Mist is a better movie than the book as it was true to the book, but the ending change of the movie puts it ovver the top.

I have read a couple of King’s books and thought the books were far better than the movies. Like you said, nobody has been butchered more and that wording fits the genre.

I also remember Rising Sun to be a great book and I really enjoyed the movie.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 100 ebook reader now Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and Amazon Kindle app on cellphone. Ebooks are so so so much cheaper its like every ebook is a steal . Coach Bill Snyder 2 books are good but I am a Ksu fan ..Platos Republic is good the complete works of Plato is a must , Art Of War is great .. in my opinion the Movie wizard of Oz is better then the book