• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question about Pronger's contract

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why anyone thinks the NHL would want to make a point with Pronger's situation. Injured reserve is for a team to place an injured player there. It is a team's right to pay a player while they are injured. The union would not allow a healthy player to sit there to circumvent the cap for numerous reasons. THere is nothing shady about LTIR'ing an injured player, and the Flyers are not the only team doing it.

i'm not saying they'll make a point this year or maybe even next year.. but i could see them making a point in the future, when its clear he cant come back.. the NHL stepped in when the contract was signed, and reviewed it because they thought the flyers were trying to cheat the cap.. i dno, i could just see bettman saying 'look, he cant come back, you know it, i know it, he cant be 'retired' on ltir'.. it sounds ridiculous typed out, but i could just see it

to the other stuff that i didnt quote haha:

the savard situation is completely different, if he retires, his cap comes off, its not a 35+ contract

and i dont think homer has blatant disregard for the CBA, i too think he does a pretty crafty job getting the flyers to spend every nickel and dime they can on the cap.. i do think he made a mistake with the 35+ contract.. he thought because pronger was 34 when he signed the contract, it wouldn't be a 35+ contract.. which was wrong, its how old you are when the season starts.. spelled out it looks like an honest mistake, but that's a mistake you shouldn't make as a GM in the NHL..

i've gone over this before, but i do think he misreads the market (particularly on goaltending) every season.. leighton for 1.55, bryz for 5.9.. both were VERY overpaid.. it turns out he did pick the right goalie, even though bryz hasn't been a stand out, vokoun has been a ghost (ghosts are very bad at stopping the puck, cause you know, the puck goes through them).. but the discrepancy between 5.9 and 1.5 tells me that there wasn't much clammor for a goalie in the offseason, for the second season in a row.. he probably could've had bryz for a shorter duration, and a smaller cap hit, if he had just let bryz hit UFA and not traded for his rights

his trading has been up and down.. mostly up considering his 2 most recent ones are looking like straight steals right now, especially considering the prize from both trades has only played 4 games and the flyers still look like the winners so far.. he did a great job in his first 4 months getting coburn, timo, and hartnell for a broken foppa and zhitnik.. he's gotten himself into trouble though (upshall for carcillo and a 1st, and the versteeg deal) but he's also fixed mistakes (versteeg to florida and eminger to tampa)

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm not saying they'll make a point this year or maybe even next year.. but i could see them making a point in the future, when its clear he cant come back.. the NHL stepped in when the contract was signed, and reviewed it because they thought the flyers were trying to cheat the cap.. i dno, i could just see bettman saying 'look, he cant come back, you know it, i know it, he cant be 'retired' on ltir'.. it sounds ridiculous typed out, but i could just see it

to the other stuff that i didnt quote haha:

the savard situation is completely different, if he retires, his cap comes off, its not a 35+ contract

and i dont think homer has blatant disregard for the CBA, i too think he does a pretty crafty job getting the flyers to spend every nickel and dime they can on the cap.. i do think he made a mistake with the 35+ contract.. he thought because pronger was 34 when he signed the contract, it wouldn't be a 35+ contract.. which was wrong, its how old you are when the season starts.. spelled out it looks like an honest mistake, but that's a mistake you shouldn't make as a GM in the NHL..

i've gone over this before, but i do think he misreads the market (particularly on goaltending) every season.. leighton for 1.55, bryz for 5.9.. both were VERY overpaid.. it turns out he did pick the right goalie, even though bryz hasn't been a stand out, vokoun has been a ghost (ghosts are very bad at stopping the puck, cause you know, the puck goes through them).. but the discrepancy between 5.9 and 1.5 tells me that there wasn't much clammor for a goalie in the offseason, for the second season in a row.. he probably could've had bryz for a shorter duration, and a smaller cap hit, if he had just let bryz hit UFA and not traded for his rights

his trading has been up and down.. mostly up considering his 2 most recent ones are looking like straight steals right now, especially considering the prize from both trades has only played 4 games and the flyers still look like the winners so far.. he did a great job in his first 4 months getting coburn, timo, and hartnell for a broken foppa and zhitnik.. he's gotten himself into trouble though (upshall for carcillo and a 1st, and the versteeg deal) but he's also fixed mistakes (versteeg to florida and eminger to tampa)

i agree, but when the boss says the goalie situation needs to change, im pretty sure you address that as quickly as possible.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, but when the boss says the goalie situation needs to change, im pretty sure you address that as quickly as possible.

fair point.. still dont like bryz's contract though :)

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
fair point.. still dont like bryz's contract though :)

for the record, holmgren is making this his style to trade for rights to sign guys. i think that is a stupid idea, it be one thing if you were the columbus blue jackets and you suck and no one wants to sign there. the flyers are a established and very respected organization. you dont need exclusive negotiating rights when targeting a player.