• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QBR

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has probably been discussed but I couldn't find it…. how do they calculate QBR and is it just bullshit? I was arguing who had the better rookie season, Luck or RG3. I said more was asked of Luck and I thought he had a better year. RG3 was in an offense designed for him to make simple reads and he had one of the best running backs in the year. Luck had no running game at all. The guy just said… RG3 had a far superior year because he had a higher QBR rating. I stopped arguing there because I could tell that he needed a number like that to be convinced. But isn't QBR kind of bullshit?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow this 15 step process...(if you dare)
Divide a quarterback's completed passes by pass attempts.
Subtract 0.3.
Divide by 0.2 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Divide passing yards by pass attempts.
Subtract 3.
Divide by 4 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Divide touchdown passes by pass attempts.
Divide by 0.05 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Divide interceptions by pass attempts.
Subtract that number from 0.095.
Divide that product by 0.04 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Add the four totals you recorded.
Multiply that total by 100.
Divide by 6.
The final number is your quarterback rating.

This might put you into a math daze but you asked. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow this 15 step process...(if you dare)
Divide a quarterback's completed passes by pass attempts.
Subtract 0.3.
Divide by 0.2 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Divide passing yards by pass attempts.
Subtract 3.
Divide by 4 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Divide touchdown passes by pass attempts.
Divide by 0.05 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Divide interceptions by pass attempts.
Subtract that number from 0.095.
Divide that product by 0.04 and record the total. The sum cannot be greater than 2.375 or less than zero.
Add the four totals you recorded.
Multiply that total by 100.
Divide by 6.
The final number is your quarterback rating.

This might put you into a math daze but you asked. ;)

There are two ratings for a QB that are called QBR or QB rating; what you posted here is the traditional one. ESPN made up their own BS rating. (A 7 TD, no INTs, 450+ yards, nearly 65% completion win is worse than a 10-19, 88 yard game, no TDs, and 2 INTs close win where the QB's team wins 21-18 after being up 21-0 in first half). Yes, the latter had one record breaking run on the team's first drive.

I'll let someone else argue the merits of the one you posted, but here's a good website to calculate it

For what the OP is looking for ProFootball reference lists both and has game logs and overall stats year-wise.
It also lists players with similar stats.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you.

You can't calculate it because it used a bunch of made up numbers.

Correct ... It was designed to be a Marketing device. ESPN needs to "Hype" certain players and they could not afford to have the "hype" ruined by the "hyped" player under performing.

Solution: Create a stat that can be manipulated.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they combine qbr with passer rating it might be of more use.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to use both to make a judgment. If the QBR and QB rating score are both on the high end it's pretty likely the guy is a franchise level QB. If one is high and one is low it simply shows a good but inconsistent QB. If both of them are low then the club should be looking for other options.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to use both to make a judgment. If the QBR and QB rating score are both on the high end it's pretty likely the guy is a franchise level QB. If one is high and one is low it simply shows a good but inconsistent QB. If both of them are low then the club should be looking for other options.

No. QBR should never even be thought of. It is less than useless. Weighting it at all is unacceptable.