• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think Geno will be our day 1 starter barring something truly unexpected. Thus, we are actually a pretty good team for McCarthy because he is so young. It worked out ok for Mahomes.

If JS thinks that McCarthy is a 1st round talent then he should take him. Same is true of any other QB that falls to the Hawks.
I wouldn't put it past us to trade down in the 1st to try and grab McCarthy...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks don't have a 2nd round pick so if they miss out on a QB round 1 then round 3 is their next chance if they choose to go that route. May be they just try to draft BPA since they have multiple needs this draft.

I think that's exactly where they'll go. Could be smoke and mirrors but MacDonald seems fine with Geno... the offense has enough weapons. We have holes all across the interior OL, TE, DT, ILB, S.... I don't think at this time we have a hole at QB.... sure if there's a QB there and the BPA and Schneider is targeting, go for it... but there's a far greater chance there's one of the above roles available at 16 or a trade down option.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's exactly where they'll go. Could be smoke and mirrors but MacDonald seems fine with Geno... the offense has enough weapons. We have holes all across the interior OL, TE, DT, ILB, S.... I don't think at this time we have a hole at QB.... sure if there's a QB there and the BPA and Schneider is targeting, go for it... but there's a far greater chance there's one of the above roles available at 16 or a trade down option.

Early on I would like to see us go for Fautanu, the UW combo lineman. Slated to be more of a guard but I like that he can play across the line.

OTOH, if there is a QB that JS really loves at 16, I'm fine with them taking him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest issue with just looking at statistics is these PAC-12 QBs put those numbers up vs. some of the worst secondaries a person could watch. That's one reason I am not sold on Nix or Penix. Hell, I'm not 100% sure about Caleb but he will get drafted #1 and the Bears can ruin him like they do all their QBs, lol. McCarthy is an unknown in a lot of ways but as young as he is, he can sit and watch and learn and be ready year 2. Like Harold says, the projections on him are all over the damn map. He may end up being the best one in this class or he could be nothing. Who the hell knows.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest issue with just looking at statistics is these PAC-12 QBs put those numbers up vs. some of the worst secondaries a person could watch. That's one reason I am not sold on Nix or Penix. Hell, I'm not 100% sure about Caleb but he will get drafted #1 and the Bears can ruin him like they do all their QBs, lol. McCarthy is an unknown in a lot of ways but as young as he is, he can sit and watch and learn and be ready year 2. Like Harold says, the projections on him are all over the damn map. He may end up being the best one in this class or he could be nothing. Who the hell knows.

Yup. He's the home run swing. Decent change he's never much of anything. But he could be the best of the bunch as well. I don't think you can say the same about Penix or Nix but their floors are probably higher.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be, as the Seahawks have not invested in the QB position since Holmgren was in charge. Maybe JS reverts back to the Packers way, they believe in being proactive with QBs and not waiting until the starter is kaput entirely to draft his replacement, they don't mind using first round pick for that replacement regardless if they could use the pick for a different position. I think that's smart.
I guess just getting by at QB while you stock the roster else where is a option. That was what Pete wanted to do. Doesn't appeal much to me, but I don't have a vote in FO.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. He's the home run swing. Decent change he's never much of anything. But he could be the best of the bunch as well. I don't think you can say the same about Penix or Nix but their floors are probably higher.
He's been comped as Daniel Jones, poor man's version.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit those PAC 12 secondaries were terrible for the most part.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been comped as Daniel Jones, poor man's version.

I've seen that and I have no idea why people are making that comp. Daniel Jones is much bigger than JJ and was nowhere near as good a QB, production wise, as JJ was. Jones last year he threw for 6.8 ypa on 60% completion percentage. McCarthy was 72% with a 9.0 YPA. McCarthy threw 11 picks in his entire college career, Jones 11 picks his junior year.

And we won't even get into the performance of the teams.

He may wind up being worse than Jones. There is a huge variance on him. But Jones was mostly drafted because of physical measurables .

Not that Jones was some terrible prospect. He's been mostly screwed because of the cast around him. Their best wide receiver would be a WR4 on the Seahawks, maybe even WR5.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen that and I have no idea why people are making that comp. Daniel Jones is much bigger than JJ and was nowhere near as good a QB, production wise, as JJ was. Jones last year he threw for 6.8 ypa on 60% completion percentage. McCarthy was 72% with a 9.0 YPA. McCarthy threw 11 picks in his entire college career, Jones 11 picks his junior year.

And we won't even get into the performance of the teams.

He may wind up being worse than Jones. There is a huge variance on him. But Jones was mostly drafted because of physical measurables .

Not that Jones was some terrible prospect. He's been mostly screwed because of the cast around him. Their best wide receiver would be a WR4 on the Seahawks, maybe even WR5.
Per game basis Jones average 243 per game McCarthy 194 per game. Each threw for 22 TDs but McCarty played 4 more games to get to that figure. McCarty did have a better completion percentage but McCarty had better weapons then Jones did and a better OL. I think they get compared because they were both low volume types in college which obvious makes it harder to get an idea how they will do in the pros. I do NOT think that = high ceiling in the pro's at all, rather the opposite, decent floor but low ceiling. I was flabbergasted when you said he (McCarthy) had the highest ceiling because there is nothing he did in college to indicate that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per game basis Jones average 243 per game McCarthy 194 per game. Each threw for 22 TDs but McCarty played 4 more games to get to that figure. McCarty did have a better completion percentage but McCarty had better weapons then Jones did and a better OL. I think they get compared because they were both low volume types in college which obvious makes it harder to get an idea how they will do in the pros. I do NOT think that = high ceiling in the pro's at all, rather the opposite, decent floor but low ceiling. I was flabbergasted when you said he (McCarthy) had the highest ceiling because there is nothing he did in college to indicate that.

Because college production isn't the only metric that measures a NFL prospect. Josh Allen had straight up pedestrian stats in college. He also had tremendous physical skills. Tom Brady had average numbers at Michigan. He turned out ok. OTOH, there are countless Big-12 QBs with MONSTER stats that don't amount to anything in the NFL.

This is the problem with casual fans of the college game trying to measure players for the pros. We only watch a pretty small number of games. How many games by McCarthy did you watch? 1? 2? I'm not pretending I'm any different.

And to be clear, I'm not claiming that McCarthy will be anything special in the NFL. I really don't know. I read a fair number of draftniks and they are the ones that say is very difficult to grade and has a wide range of possible outcomes. McCarthy was 27-1 as a starter and Michigan was behind for all of 8 minutes the entire season. So you can't really argue that the team was hiding him at the cost of the team.

You seem to be focused solely on production. Which makes sense since you are a Husky fan. But, for me, I'm far more concerned with the team making the right pick. If it's Penix that's fine with me. If it's McCarthy that's fine with me. If it's Rattler in the 3rd that's fine as well. If they don't draft a QB that's fine with me as well.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix injury has no factor on how I view him... He was hardly touched as a QB in college last year... I wanted to see a game where he had to go to 2nd and 3rd options because he really never had to do that yet up to the Michigan game this season... In the Michigan game, he was finally under consistent duress during a game and he struggle.. That was the one question I had for him and I don't feel like he answered it for me... Just one game but it was a big game where he didn't answer my question...
You are mixing criticisms, here. The idea that Penix only ever went to his 1st option last year (or the year prior) is, frankly, fucking insane. He had the best OL in college football, which gave him (most of the time) plenty of time to go through progressions, which was a big reason for his excellent seasons.

What he did struggle with, that is a legitimate criticism, is being effective when his OL didn't protect him well. Most QB's don't do well under pressure, but there was a stark contrast between how good he was when he was well-protected and how less-than-stellar he was when he was pressured.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are mixing criticisms, here. The idea that Penix only ever went to his 1st option last year (or the year prior) is, frankly, fucking insane. He had the best OL in college football, which gave him (most of the time) plenty of time to go through progressions, which was a big reason for his excellent seasons.

What he did struggle with, that is a legitimate criticism, is being effective when his OL didn't protect him well. Most QB's don't do well under pressure, but there was a stark contrast between how good he was when he was well-protected and how less-than-stellar he was when he was pressured.

I had said before the championship game that if Penix were to have a big game against the UM defense, it could push him really high into the draft. He didn't which, unfortunately for him, emphasized the questions about how he handles pressure. I don't think it hurt his draft stock but it really offset his big performance in the semi-final.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, he only went to his 1st option every time... That's how you read that?

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he only went to his 1st option every time... That's how you read that?
Exactly as you stated it, and it is grossly incorrect. I mean, even in his (arguably) worst game, he did this, where he watched his 1st option get held, pointed it out, then threw a TD to his 2nd (or 3rd?) option... and he was even under pressure on this one:

Edit: Sorry, this is how you stated it: "I wanted to see a game where he had to go to 2nd and 3rd options because he really never had to do that yet up to the Michigan game this season", but that is implying that he rarely had to go down a list of progressions, and it is not accurate. He did that all of the time, but he also had time to do it all of the time.

Last edited:

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion: I really like Penix and I think he could be a star in the NFL, but I am given pause by the times I saw him struggle under pressure. I think he can overcome that and his other attributes (incredibly strong arm, deadly accurate, reads the field well (when not pressured) are great.

McCarthy: I would be absolutely shocked if he is anything better than a mediocre career backup. I just don't see anything there that looks like more than a solid college QB.