• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB film study

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With all the hype about Kaep and his muscle-building it got me wondering about what type of film studying he's doing and how much time he's dedicating to it. I know film study is probably the most important thing for a QB to do in the off-season but there is a limitation to how "game-like" this studying can be. What they see on the screen is not from the same perspective.

This got me to thinking...and I'm not even sure if the NFL would allow it...but can QBs wear mini cameras on their helmets in order to study this film later on? I would think going back and forth between the booth angle and helmet angle would be invaluable in film studying. If it's not allowed for games (and I imagine it's not), have they ever considered doing it in practice - just to have another valuable piece of the puzzle to study? I sincerely doubt I'm the first to consider this...just wondering if it's ever been implemented.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the hype about Kaep and his muscle-building it got me wondering about what type of film studying he's doing and how much time he's dedicating to it. I know film study is probably the most important thing for a QB to do in the off-season but there is a limitation to how "game-like" this studying can be. What they see on the screen is not from the same perspective.

This got me to thinking...and I'm not even sure if the NFL would allow it...but can QBs wear mini cameras on their helmets in order to study this film later on? I would think going back and forth between the booth angle and helmet angle would be invaluable in film studying. If it's not allowed for games (and I imagine it's not), have they ever considered doing it in practice - just to have another valuable piece of the puzzle to study? I sincerely doubt I'm the first to consider this...just wondering if it's ever been implemented.

A camera helmet wouldn't really work. I use a GoPro all the time and when you are moving your head and looking around it can get pretty messy. I feel like it wouldn't really get a clear/stable enough shot to help on a regular basis. I think that the goal line angle is used for the same purpose.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A camera helmet wouldn't really work. I use a GoPro all the time and when you are moving your head and looking around it can get pretty messy. I feel like it wouldn't really get a clear/stable enough shot to help on a regular basis. I think that the goal line angle is used for the same purpose.

with the video technology we have today you'd have to think we could smooth that sort of footage out and give a pretty level feed... it really only has to be for the first few seconds of a play. give the camera a wide angle view and then crop it down to our normal sight range based on where the reads on the field should be, then level/smooth out the footage...it's gotta be possible.

but i guess you're right, the goal line footage is probably the more economical option and reasonably effective.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the video technology we have today you'd have to think we could smooth that sort of footage out and give a pretty level feed... it really only has to be for the first few seconds of a play. give the camera a wide angle view and then crop it down to our normal sight range based on where the reads on the field should be, then level/smooth out the footage...it's gotta be possible.

but i guess you're right, the goal line footage is probably the more economical option and reasonably effective.

Maybe instead of a helmet cam, they could set something up just behind where his drop back should be so you can get a field level view. You wouldn't be able to see where his eyes are from any of the views so it might work.