• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Competition

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I think the strategy is with the 49ers quarterback "competition". I don't think it is a competition. I think the plan is for Gabbert to start all along. I think the reason is that they expect Gabbert to struggle and want Kaepernick available to come in and pull some games out.

Kaepernick is so predictable and so easy to defend when you have a chance to game plan for him but if you have game-planned for Gabbert and then Kaepernick comes in later in the game he can be effective. he always had his best games when coming in for Alex Smith. So I think they are hoping to get something out of both of them and the only way Kaepernicjk can be effective is if a team has not had a chance to prepare for him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its good thinking but I dont see Kelly playing a 2 QB system.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was really their plan, then the coaching staff is foolish. That doesn't work with QBs. QBs need consistency and need to find rhythm in games. Harbaugh tried bringing Kap off the bench with Alex but that quickly became ineffective. Walsh also briefly tried that with Steve Young, didn't work. They just need to pick a starter and stick with it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Depends on the opponent and game conditions?

In general, do agree with playing just one QB, but using Kaep for a series or two isn't "far fetched". If he's successful running the offense, let him play more. So yeah, don't "split the reps", but depends on the opponent?

Was this the plan all along, no, don't think so. There is no way to plan this because you just don't know how these guys will do in Kelly's offense?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the opponent and game conditions?

In general, do agree with playing just one QB, but using Kaep for a series or two isn't "far fetched". If he's successful running the offense, let him play more. So yeah, don't "split the reps", but depends on the opponent?

Was this the plan all along, no, don't think so. There is no way to plan this because you just don't know how these guys will do in Kelly's offense?

I agree with playing just one QB. Harbaugh used Kap for one or two series when Alex was the starter. He had a couple of nice runs but the defenses started to catch on. Just my opinion, but when you do that you upset the QB's rhythm on a drive and the QB coming in has to quickly adjust. Just doesn't seem to work. I really don't think Chip would employ that anyway.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with playing just one QB. Harbaugh used Kap for one or two series when Alex was the starter. He had a couple of nice runs but the defenses started to catch on. Just my opinion, but when you do that you upset the QB's rhythm on a drive and the QB coming in has to quickly adjust. Just doesn't seem to work. I really don't think Chip would employ that anyway.

Yeah, IF they do this, you'd start with a new series, not after a 1st or 2nd down.

Anyway, not saying this will happen or should happen, just we don't have to shelve this idea 100%.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but with Kap missing the 2nd game its over for him to be the starter unless Gabbert gets hurt. I have a feeling this is all a set up. Something just isnt right.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but with Kap missing the 2nd game its over for him to be the starter unless Gabbert gets hurt. I have a feeling this is all a set up. Something just isnt right.

That is the rumor floating around. But I just am not into all these conspiracy theories. There is still a couple of weeks to go. Well see who comes out on top. I've had injuries like this. You have to rest them or they eventually become bigger issues.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

haaa, just because you're guy Kaep isn't playing, you reach for conspiracy theories?! i don't see any reason for purposely keeping Kaep out of the competition. If we're going to pay him $16M, i'd think you'd WANT him to win the job.

injuries are one of those things, so tough luck and bad timing for Kaep. We all want him to compete and see what he can do in this offense.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haaa, just because you're guy Kaep isn't playing, you reach for conspiracy theories?! i don't see any reason for purposely keeping Kaep out of the competition. If we're going to pay him $16M, i'd think you'd WANT him to win the job.

injuries are one of those things, so tough luck and bad timing for Kaep. We all want him to compete and see what he can do in this offense.
Because deep down everyone in the NFL knows the 49ers dont want him. its a proven fact. They look like they are pulling a RG3 here the only difference Wash actually had a back up QB that could start. We dont.

He isnt my guy. I do think he did a good job the 1st couple of years but has fallen off. He hasnt gotten better. I have stated multiple times both arent the future of this team. Do I want him to be the starter over Gabbert hell yeah, Gabbert makes me sick watching him throw only 5-10 yards. Reminds me of the Ty Detmer days and early Alex Smith years. I rather go for Boom or Bust with Kap.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB competition is really over. Gabbert will be the starter and frankly, I'd rather start him over Kap anyway.

I agree with @purguy12 that it looks like the Niners may shrink-wrap Kap to ensure he doesn't get hurt, so we can cut or trade him in the offseason (ala Skins/Griffin). That's not a stretch or a wild theory imo.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was really their plan, then the coaching staff is foolish. That doesn't work with QBs. QBs need consistency and need to find rhythm in games. Harbaugh tried bringing Kap off the bench with Alex but that quickly became ineffective. Walsh also briefly tried that with Steve Young, didn't work. They just need to pick a starter and stick with it.
Completely disagree. That was when Kaepernick was at his best.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because deep down everyone in the NFL knows the 49ers dont want him. its a proven fact. They look like they are pulling a RG3 here the only difference Wash actually had a back up QB that could start. We dont.

He isnt my guy. I do think he did a good job the 1st couple of years but has fallen off. He hasnt gotten better. I have stated multiple times both arent the future of this team. Do I want him to be the starter over Gabbert hell yeah, Gabbert makes me sick watching him throw only 5-10 yards. Reminds me of the Ty Detmer days and early Alex Smith years. I rather go for Boom or Bust with Kap.

This is just my opinion obviously, but i'd rather see 8 of 10 completions at 5 yards, than 2 of 10 at 20 yards. On top of that, of Kaep's eight "incompletions" he actually ran OB twice for losses; took two sacks for losses; and twice just threw it away. That is how i envision the two QB's but again, JMHO.

Granted, can't imagine anyone running the ZR better than Kaep? But that isn't a staple play for Kelly, running Hyde will be.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The QB competition is really over. Gabbert will be the starter and frankly, I'd rather start him over Kap anyway.

I agree with @purguy12 that it looks like the Niners may shrink-wrap Kap to ensure he doesn't get hurt, so we can cut or trade him in the offseason (ala Skins/Griffin). That's not a stretch or a wild theory imo.

If it turns out that way due to his inability to play in the pre-season, fine with me. But this would be a result of his on-going injuries, and Gabbert's head start. Don't see it as the 'grand scheme' of Baalke that started months ago. To me we REALLY do want to see what Kaep can do in this offense, but unfortunately he isn't back 100%.

Once April 1st passed, it was imperative to find out what he can do? If you're going to pay him $16M, why would you plan to sit him all along?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree. That was when Kaepernick was at his best.
No he wasn't. He got a few good runs until defenses figured it out and the gains stopped. I don't think he even completed a pass. He was most effective when Smith was hurt and he became the full time starter

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just my opinion obviously, but i'd rather see 8 of 10 completions at 5 yards, than 2 of 10 at 20 yards. On top of that, of Kaep's eight "incompletions" he actually ran OB twice for losses; took two sacks for losses; and twice just threw it away. That is how i envision the two QB's but again, JMHO.

Granted, can't imagine anyone running the ZR better than Kaep? But that isn't a staple play for Kelly, running Hyde will be.

What we saw in Kap at the end of his playing time last year was really bad. On the other side, seeing Gabbtert throwing a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 9 and a 3 for 20 something third down conversation rate is bad also and equally frustrating.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

can't compare the 2. This is a different Oline and the past shows Kap plays well when he has a good Oline. 2nd both throw around the same %. Both will throw Ints. Kap is more of a threat to run and make the big play.
Gabbert Career Comp 55%, Rating 72, Career TDs 33, 31 Ints 1 Rushing TD
Kaps Career Comp 59%, Rating 88, Career TDs 56 Ints 26, 11 rushing TDs

Numbers point to Kap.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it turns out that way due to his inability to play in the pre-season, fine with me. But this would be a result of his on-going injuries, and Gabbert's head start. Don't see it as the 'grand scheme' of Baalke that started months ago. To me we REALLY do want to see what Kaep can do in this offense, but unfortunately he isn't back 100%.

Once April 1st passed, it was imperative to find out what he can do? If you're going to pay him $16M, why would you plan to sit him all along?
I do think it was a plan to get rid of Kap, they ended up having to keep him and now it seems like they will hold him back. Kap has mention he is fine to throw but they are holding back to make sure he is 100%. Sounds a little odd to me especially when they are in a QB battle. Also before the the Injuries Kap seemed like he was having a slight better camp. Now that its game time its odd. Yes this past week was an injury but I don't get why he can't play this week. It wasn't Kaps decision he wants to play. THey are being ext a cautions for some reason. Its not like he is a Franchise QB right now. What matters if he gets hurt. He wants to battle.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope this is the case. Gabbert is just a stop-gap for the QB of the future, but at least you know his teammates have more belief in him than they do with Kaepernick. Colin's ship has sailed, given both his decline and the fact that he wants out - he should never see the field as a 49er ever again. Stash him away to prevent injury, Ponder is the backup and Gabbert the starter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this is the case. Gabbert is just a stop-gap for the QB of the future, but at least you know his teammates have more belief in him than they do with Kaepernick. Colin's ship has sailed, given both his decline and the fact that he wants out - he should never see the field as a 49er ever again. Stash him away to prevent injury, Ponder is the backup and Gabbert the starter.
report came out yesterday is Kap has been the leader and the players really respond to him. He has been a great locker room guy.