• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Saban

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban doesn't make the schedules. No coach does.
That's a cop out statement and you know it. Saban isn't "No coach" and you know that too. Some other coaches may not be able to dictate a schedule to their AD, but Saban has the cache to tell the AD if he wants to play a game or not...and said AD will have to listen or he will be gone. End of discussion.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a cop out statement and you know it. Saban isn't "No coach" and you know that too. Some other coaches may not be able to dictate a schedule to their AD, but Saban has the cache to tell the AD if he wants to play a game or not...and said AD will have to listen or he will be gone. End of discussion.

It's not like the old days when Bear Bryant was both the head coach and the athletic director; but I'm pretty sure Saban gets to have some input into the schedule-making, even though he doesn't make the schedules, himself. In his early days at Alabama many of the schedules were already set and he was more occupied with creating the kind of football program that could sustain itself from year-to-year, and lobbying for the facilities upgrades that helped that cause.

He probably didn't think a whole lot about future scheduling until Alabama had to face 7 straight opponents coming off of bye weeks in the 2010 season. That was enough to get anyone's attention. I'm sure his input is valued (which is probably why we are getting more home-and-home games in future seasons), but he still doesn't make the schedules.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure his input is valued (which is probably why we are getting more home-and-home games in future seasons), but he still doesn't make the schedules.
You made me spit my iced tea all over the computer screen. "I'm sure his input is valued...." Really? That's the biggest downplay or understatement I've heard in a long, long time.

Since about the time of the 2nd natty at Bama, I'd bet Saban's been able to run things football as he sees fit. He probably hasn't wanted to do anything stupid...but I'd bet his "input" is more of an edict than suggestion. Thinking he doesn't have the final say in all football matters is just being naive.

I think Saban is sincere in wanting to improve schedules. He's wise enough to know some of the most faithful Bama fans don't really enjoy many of the OOC games they are given. They only attend out of school loyalty.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like the old days when Bear Bryant was both the head coach and the athletic director; but I'm pretty sure Saban gets to have some input into the schedule-making, even though he doesn't make the schedules, himself. In his early days at Alabama many of the schedules were already set and he was more occupied with creating the kind of football program that could sustain itself from year-to-year, and lobbying for the facilities upgrades that helped that cause.

He probably didn't think a whole lot about future scheduling until Alabama had to face 7 straight opponents coming off of bye weeks in the 2010 season. That was enough to get anyone's attention. I'm sure his input is valued (which is probably why we are getting more home-and-home games in future seasons), but he still doesn't make the schedules.

Did you just say, Saban’s input is valued by the AD?!?

Nothing happens with Bama’s football program unless Saban says so. Same goes for any of the top programs with coaches who have been there a while.

I would wager — there isn’t an OOC game put on Bama’s schedule without Saban giving the OK.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close!

The home / home series was never set. When they started talking about playing, Wisc. wanted a home / home, but Alabama only wanted the neutral. So, it was a one off neutral set-up from Jump, not scheduled and changed. HOWEVER, like you said, it is awesome that they have set-up for the home / home in 2024-5! I will most definitely go to the game @ Wisc.!

On the other side of the coin, Alabama and Michigan State were scheduled for a home / home in 2016 and 2017. That was flat out cancelled as a mutual decision. Alabama scheduled USC @ Arlington in 2016 and FSU @ Atlanta to replace it. I would have preferred the Michigan State home / home, but it wouldn't have mattered from a result point of view.

My only point is the friendly jousting with @Texas Jefe is that this is not "par for the course". Alabama sets up neutrals when they want a one off and home / home when they want a true home / home. Only Michigan State was cancelled, and that was a mutual decision. Basically, 'Bama bogeyed that hole, but it is not "par for the course". :)

That is a tangential point, that is "they always set up neutrals", which leads to talk of switching home and homes w/a neutral: Alabama gets neutral site games that their fans can dominate. They need to play more good opponents on their home turf, with the Bama fans sitting in the little sliver set aside for visiting fans.

Throw all that in a pot, and I guess that's what I find in my memory banks

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a tangential point, that is "they always set up neutrals", which leads to talk of switching home and homes w/a neutral: Alabama gets neutral site games that their fans can dominate. They need to play more good times on their home turf, with the Bama fans sitting in the little sliver set aside for visiting fans.

Throw all that in a pot, and I guess that's what I find in my memory banks
That is fair. FWIW, I prefer and support more home an homes for the Tide! They are signed with @ Texas, @ South Florida, @ Wisconsin, @ West Virginia, @ Notre Dame and @ Oklahoma starting with @ Texas in 2022!