• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Saban

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can call for it all he wants, but when is the last time he has actually scheduled that for himself? Until then he looks like a hypocrite.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can call for it all he wants, but when is the last time he has actually scheduled that for himself? Until then he looks like a hypocrite

For the most part I do not disagree. He does use the system to his advantage. My only question would be are there any SEC rules that may prevent some scheduling.

I would add that it is probably not the championship caliber teams that are most against this but, the marginal teams that need an easy win to go Bowling.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part I do not disagree. He does use the system to his advantage. My only question would be are there any SEC rules that may prevent some scheduling.

I would add that it is probably not the championship caliber teams that are most against this but, the marginal teams that need an easy win to go Bowling.
Nothing has been stopping Georgia from scheduling two P5 opponents most years so I doubt there is anything stopping them from scheduling that except Alabama’s own athletic department. They do, for now, have two P5 OOC opponents for only the 2025 season.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No rules against it.

He is just one big fat hypocrite and has basically said he can't do it until other teams do because it would put his team at a disadvantage.

It's like a democrat promising the new green deal knowing it will never pass in congress.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rules against it.

He is just one big fat hypocrite and has basically said he can't do it until other teams do because it would put his team at a disadvantage.

It's like a democrat promising the new green deal knowing it will never pass in congress.
I was going to say like Bernie Sanders demanding an $18/hr minimum wage while paying his staffers a starvation wage.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the last part for sure. Conferences have to fill those bowl slots ya know.

But I'm not sure the "championship" caliber teams want to risk another loss in the current environment (CFP) either. Stakes are high. Now, if ALL teams were willing to do it, then I definitely think the "championship" caliber teams wouldn't mind it at all.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rules against it.

Someone should point out to him that the last two times he's lost in the NCG the team that beat him played 10 P5 opponents in the regular season.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had four slots every season he can schedule to his hearts desire. He can choose to schedule a cupcake and a couple decent teams and a really good team or even two pretty good teams. But no. Chattanooga , Mercer, Towsend, South Texas , Southern Carolina type teams have been used for three of the four slots for a decade now.
At first glance i thought you said Southern California type teams.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance i thought you said Southern California type teams.

LOL. We get them again next season in Tejas. That means I will have watched Alabama play live two times which is two times more than our absent Bama fan/ homer.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC could solve it's 8-game scheduling problems by going to a true 6 + rotating 2, or do away with divisions, go to an 8-game fully rotating schedule, and have the two teams with the best records play in the SECCG.

What's done with the 4 OOC games will impact the conference's overall rep. The SEC could go to all P5s with exceptions being granted every now and again for members giving lower division in-state schools a bigger stage. Exceptions might also be granted when unforeseeable circumstance doesn't allow subbing a new P5 for a canceled P5 game on the schedule. Gotta play 12. No bucks, no buck rogers, so to speak.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
source.gif

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC could solve it's 8-game scheduling problems by going to a true 6 + rotating 2, or do away with divisions, go to an 8-game fully rotating schedule, and have the two teams with the best records play in the SECCG.

What's done with the 4 OOC games will impact the conference's overall rep. The SEC could go to all P5s with exceptions being granted every now and again for members giving lower division in-state schools a bigger stage. Exceptions might also be granted when unforeseeable circumstance doesn't allow subbing a new P5 for a canceled P5 game on the schedule. Gotta play 12. No bucks, no buck rogers, so to speak.
I’ve long said that the 14 team conferences should kill divisions, 3 permanent rivals, the other ten split into two groups of 5 (alternate which you play every year), top two conference records in the CCG, mandatory 2 P5 opponent. A certain PAC12 fan comes crying about how “but, but, but, they won’t play each other” as if he gives a shit about how many times teams play each other.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rules against it.

No, he’s just not stupid enough to do it if it’s not a requirement for everyone. Nobody is making Auburn play Samford either, maybe Malzhan should step up and call for the rest of the SEC to join them.

DayDrinkinginDurham

Healed Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was the case then all the many cupcake schools of the ACC would be getting much more out of conference competition.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of fired up folks in this thread and anytime anything about Alabama's OOC comes up. Bottom line, there are only a few OOC teams who have a real chance to beat Alabama at this point in time home, away or neutral. Clemson is a given + Ohio State and Oklahoma would have a 50/50 chance. Tough to get those 3 teams on the schedule because they have a say in it too. I'd like to see those games though!

Besides that, it really doesn't matter who they play OOC at this point in time (until they come back down to earth). They literally toss aside teams with strong names who cannot keep it on the field with them (in the Regular Season and in the Playoffs) including Blue Bloods such as Southern California, Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan and Florida State in the Saban Era. Double digit wins ALL.

Sheesh, Alabama has beaten all of the P5 Conference Champions at least once since 2015: 2015 B1G Champion Michigan State in the Cotton, 2015 ACC Champion Clemson in the Championship Game @ Glendale, 2016 Pac-12 Champion Washington in the Peach, 2017 ACC Champion Clemson in the Sugar, 2017 SEC Champion Georgia in the Championship Game @ Atlanta and 2018 Big Xii Champion Oklahoma in the Orange. Has any other program done that this Century, let alone in the CFB Playoff Era? Maybe, but I doubt it.

The good news is that Saban supports 9 SEC Games (and has for years) and now supports 8 SEC + 2 P5 OOC games (since the rest of the SEC does not support 9 Conference games) - which they are working on now. After their next 3 Neutral Games with Duke (ACC), Southern California (Pac-12) and Miami (FLa.)(ACC), they have started scheduling home and home with Texas (Big Xii), Wisconsin (B1G), West Virginia (Big Xii), Notre Dame (Independent-ACC) and Oklahoma (Big Xii) coming up. Plus, they are filling in gaps with other decent game like playing @ South Florida when they play Texas @ Tuscaloosa and FSU @ Atlanta when they play Wisconsin @ Tuscaloosa. There will be others too, as they start this better scheduling. Encourage it across the board instead of the faux outrage against Saban and 'Bama.

fyi: IMO, the main reason for this is that it is very tough to sell the extra tickets (mentioned by Saban) for the newer Upper Deck North and South End Zone seats that pushed expansion to 100,000 plus with 3 crummy OOC games. Those seats suck, and nobody wants to sit there for a good game, let alone a crummy game. As a former season ticket holder (good seats), it would be much better to see teams like Syracuse, Purdue, Iowa State and Cal than the current home OOC games, BUT do you think they want to get squashed by 'Bama? Either way, regardless of quality, Alabama hasn't lost an OOC game in the Regular Season since 2007, and that includes games vs. ACC teams (6), B1G teams (4), Big Xii Teams (1) and Pac-12 teams (1) ALL by DOUBLE digits!

Instead of getting upset, send an email to your favorite team's A.D. and ask them to try to schedule 'Bama while they are on this current P5 scheduling spree. The more P5 games the better for Alabama and everybody else. :) BTW, PROPS to all of the teams who have already agreed to play 'Bama. Much Respect!

Last edited:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he’s just not stupid enough to do it if it’s not a requirement for everyone. Nobody is making Auburn play Samford either, maybe Malzhan should step up and call for the rest of the SEC to join them.
Malzhan is on record to go to 9 conference games. He just isn't hypicrital like Saban is especially when your main OOC opponent this year is Duke. Bama is playing the worst OOC schedule in the SEC.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malzhan is on record to go to 9 conference games. He just isn't hypicrital like Saban is especially when your main OOC opponent this year is Duke. Bama is playing the worst OOC schedule in the SEC.
And Saban is on record for 9 conference games and 10 P5 games, so Gus is just a pussy for not calling for 10 too I guess.

Nobody is very happy about playing Duke as a P5 opening game this year, but since Saban has been here we’ve opened with Clemson, Virginia Tech twice, Michigan, West Virginia, Wisconsin, USC, FSU, and Louisville, and open with USC next year and Miami the next, followed by a home and home with Texas. We’ll live with an occasional clunker.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see more consistent scheduling. For me I'd rather see more close games in the season than these blowouts we see far to often in college football.