• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Saban

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because no AD talks to coaches they just tell them to play the fucking games they are told to play.
You have quite a bit to learn about the sport you try to follow. Schedules are made between several entities in modern College Football and it takes more than 1 program to be willing to play each other. You'll learn with a dozen more years of study at this pace.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have quite a bit to learn about the sport you try to follow. Schedules are made between several entities in modern College Football and it takes more than 1 program to be willing to play each other. You'll learn with a dozen more years of study at this pace.
Yes but again, ADs have no conversations with their coaches on who they want to play. ADs just dial random phone numbers until the find another AD to talk to and schedule games. It definitely isn’t because one AD spoke with a coach about teams they would be open/want to playing and the AD tried to make direct contact with another school in order to start the steps in order to get a game(s) scheduled. Teams just show up to random stadiums hoping another team is there to play.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it is not par for the course. All of Alabama's Neutral Games in the Saban Era have been one off games agreed to by both programs.
that's exactly what I said, and that I'm not sure Texas would agree. Alabama has changed home and home to a home and neutral at a later date before, or it was changed to just one neutral site game.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Carolina South Carolina UAB Wofford Noth Texas Northern Arizona. Does it really matter? Lol.

Well, to be fair The Citadel gave Alabama a better challenge in Tuscaloosa than Southern Cal did at a neutral site the last time they played.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't think that the however many programs Alabama has played at a neutral site the past few years wouldn't have preferred a home and home? Clemson did the math a long time ago. A neutral site game has to pay out a hell of a lot more than they currently do to balance out the value of a home and home. It's why we've only agreed to one neutral site game since '09 to play Georgia. Playing UGA is of utmost importance to us since they are are second biggest rival.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's exactly what I said, and that I'm not sure Texas would agree. Alabama has changed home and home to a home and neutral at a later date before, or it was changed to just one neutral site game.
Which one? I'm not a neutral site fan, but all of the Alabama neutral site games in the Saban Era were scheduled as one off games from jump - not a home and home series later switched to a home and neutral series.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think that the however many programs Alabama has played at a neutral site the past few years wouldn't have preferred a home and home? Clemson did the math a long time ago. A neutral site game has to pay out a hell of a lot more than they currently do to balance out the value of a home and home. It's why we've only agreed to one neutral site game since '09 to play Georgia. Playing UGA is of utmost importance to us since they are are second biggest rival.
The math was done in 2008, when Clemson was the To 10 team, favored, closer to home and got their butts kicked 34-10 by Alabama in the ATL! That was actually the start of the Saban-Alabama Dynasty. Clemson is as good or better now, but that was a lesson well learned by the Tigers in 2008!

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The math was done in 2008, when Clemson was the To 10 team, favored, closer to home and got their butts kicked 34-10 by Alabama in the ATL! That was actually the start of the Saban-Alabama Dynasty. Clemson is as good or better now, but that was a lesson well learned by the Tigers in 2008!

We only did it that year because we already had seven home games scheduled and La Tech bought out the second half of a home and neutral game in Shreveport, but nice try.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only did it that year because we already had seven home games scheduled and La Tech bought out the second half of a home and neutral game in Shreveport, but nice try.
Interesting! Did not know that. Was just being funny, because the timing was right! Actually, kudos to Clemson for having a home and neutral with LA Tech. :)

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to be fair The Citadel gave Alabama a better challenge in Tuscaloosa than Southern Cal did at a neutral site the last time they played.
And the Citadel finished ranked #3 in the country too right. Syracuse gave Clemson a better game so that says something about Alabama right? Or do you have to take the games on their own?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Citadel finished ranked #3 in the country too right. Syracuse gave Clemson a better game so that says something about Alabama right? Or do you have to take the games on their own?

Bama didn't play The Citadel in 2016 (the year they annihilated USC). They played Chattanooga that year; but even the Mocs gave Alabama a better game than the Trojans. So did every other team they played that year, except for Kent St. (48-0) and Mississippi St. (51-3). USC should be commended for the way they came back & put together 9 straight wins to end the season after starting 1-3.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
already done.

Bama is not even close to the worst offender, though they do have one real cupcake, minimum each year. Which if you're a Bama fan would suck.

90% of FBS plays an FCS school every year, Bama is not an exception, Texas however is, kudos for that.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you math well then, a neutral site game every year has been very profitable for Alabama, an away game pays nothing, for some teams a home game may generate more revenue than a neutral site game, but not more than two neutral site games and incurs less expenses...and our stadium holds 20,000 more than yours. In point of fact, our football revenue was twice what yours was last year...partly because we can math apparently.

If you took the entire revenue of Clemson Football last year...$45.9 million and divided it among the 7 home games you would get $6.55 million. Unfortunately for you though, less than half of that figure is ticket and concession sales. We are getting $9.5 million for FSU and Duke. We are getting more than you will make off two home games...so GTFO with balancing the value.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one? I'm not a neutral site fan, but all of the Alabama neutral site games in the Saban Era were scheduled as one off games from jump - not a home and home series later switched to a home and neutral series.
I don't know, it's rattling around in my memories somewhere, of course that's a red flag now that I think about it.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, it's rattling around in my memories somewhere, of course that's a red flag now that I think about it.

I believe the Wisconsin neutral-site game was originally set to be a home-and-home, but got changed to a one-off because some schedule changes had to be made to accommodate future games with new conference members. But they just set that right by scheduling a future H&H with the Badgers. I believe that's the only series that got changed. All the rest were one-offs from the get-go.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Wisconsin neutral-site game was originally set to be a home-and-home, but got changed to a one-off because some schedule changes had to be made to accommodate future games with new conference members. But they just set that right by scheduling a future H&H with the Badgers. I believe that's the only series that got changed. All the rest were one-offs from the get-go.
Close!

The home / home series was never set. When they started talking about playing, Wisc. wanted a home / home, but Alabama only wanted the neutral. So, it was a one off neutral set-up from Jump, not scheduled and changed. HOWEVER, like you said, it is awesome that they have set-up for the home / home in 2024-5! I will most definitely go to the game @ Wisc.!

On the other side of the coin, Alabama and Michigan State were scheduled for a home / home in 2016 and 2017. That was flat out cancelled as a mutual decision. Alabama scheduled USC @ Arlington in 2016 and FSU @ Atlanta to replace it. I would have preferred the Michigan State home / home, but it wouldn't have mattered from a result point of view.

My only point is the friendly jousting with @Texas Jefe is that this is not "par for the course". Alabama sets up neutrals when they want a one off and home / home when they want a true home / home. Only Michigan State was cancelled, and that was a mutual decision. Basically, 'Bama bogeyed that hole, but it is not "par for the course". :)

Last edited:

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close, but the home / home series was never set. When they started talking about playing, Wisconsin wanted a home / home, but Alabama only wanted the neutral. So, it was a one off neutral set-up from Jump, not scheduled and changed. HOWEVER, like you said, it is awesome that they have set-up for the home / home in 2024-5! I will most definitely go to the game @ Wisconsin!

On the other side of the coin, Alabama and Michigan State were scheduled for a home / home in 2016 and 2017. That was flat our cancelled as a mutual decision. Alabama scheduled USC @ Arlington in 2016 and FSU @ Atlanta to replace it. I would have preferred the Michigan State home / home, but it wouldn't have mattered from a result point of view.

My only point is the friendly jousting with @Texas Jefe is that this is not "par for the course". Alabama sets up neutrals when they want them to be neutral and home / home when they want them as a one off. Only Michigan State was cancelled, and that was a mutual decision. Basically, 'Bama boggied that hole, but it is not "par for the course". :)

Just curious: was the MSU series cancelled before or after Bama throttled Sparty in the 2015 playoffs?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious: was the MSU series cancelled before or after Bama throttled Sparty in the 2015 playoffs?
Before. During 2013-14 range IIRC, as it played a part in me giving up my season tickets (from afar). So, after the CapitalOne Blowout @ Orlando but before the Cotton Bowl blowout @ Arlington!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama didn't play The Citadel in 2016 (the year they annihilated USC). They played Chattanooga that year; but even the Mocs gave Alabama a better game than the Trojans. So did every other team they played that year, except for Kent St. (48-0) and Mississippi St. (51-3). USC should be commended for the way they came back & put together 9 straight wins to end the season after starting 1-3.

Well Alabama did hold Clemson to 2 less points than Furman did last season. There's that.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta has been neutral for Alabama and the teams they have played there. With the exception of West Virginia from the Big Xii, the other opponents there have been ACC programs with easy drive access to Atlanta - which is an ACC and SEC town after all. Even WVU to ATL is an easy drive. There were plenty of Mountaineer fans there.

No two teams are ever exactly the same distance from a neutral spot, but Atlanta has been easy enough for all of the teams Alabama has played. Definitely, more neutral than all of those USC Rose Bowl Games (as an example). It's other teams like Georgia (Boise State) and Auburn (Washington) who play Western teams in Atlanta.

Alabama plays those type of games @ Arlington (as you know!:). Southern California (Pac-12), Michigan (B1G) and Wisconsin (B1G) were all in Arlington, not Atlanta. That's a flight for all of those teams including Alabama (which is 3 states away). Once again, I am looking forward to the 2020 Alabama-USC Game @ Arlington! Wish it was in Los Angeles (3-0) and glad it is not in Birmingham (0-2). lol. :)
True, but I'd bet that the RRSO is about as close as it can get to exactly the same distance for a neutral site game. Google maps shows:
OU to Cotton Bowl 192 miles
UT to Cotton Bowl 196 miles

While I'm an old traditional fart, I'd rather see them play the game in Norman and Austin in alternate years...but that's just me. But only a few of my rusty cow and land thieves fans agree with me.