• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Week 4: vs. CAR

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really much to say about this game. The annual pillow fight with CAR. Just hoping everyone stays healthy.

Offense: I assume we'll see Rudolph get the 1st half, and Dobbs the 2nd. I don't get the feeling that Landry is at risk anymore. Dobbs is on his way out. I have a feeling Samuels will get the bulk of the carries in the 1st half. Don't think they will risk Conner with the uncertainty surrounding Bell. And warm-bodies like Toussaint, Ridley & Franklin can finish the game out. Would like to see Patterson get a lot of work.

Defense: Still some battles in the OLBs & DBs to get sorted out. Would like to see Adeniyi continue to dominate. Not sure if we will get to see Watt at all this preseason, but he could use a few tune-up series. Adams & Huguenin are still battling. Hard to say what the plan is for the DBs on the 53. Burns, Haden, Hilton, Sutton, Davis, Burnett, Edmunds are locks... Sensabaugh has the clear leg-up on B-Allen & Phillips. And Berhe, M-Allen & Dangerfield are still vying for spots.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really much to say about this game. The annual pillow fight with CAR. Just hoping everyone stays healthy.

Offense: I assume we'll see Rudolph get the 1st half, and Dobbs the 2nd. I don't get the feeling that Landry is at risk anymore. Dobbs is on his way out. I have a feeling Samuels will get the bulk of the carries in the 1st half. Don't think they will risk Conner with the uncertainty surrounding Bell. And warm-bodies like Toussaint, Ridley & Franklin can finish the game out. Would like to see Patterson get a lot of work.

Defense: Still some battles in the OLBs & DBs to get sorted out. Would like to see Adeniyi continue to dominate. Not sure if we will get to see Watt at all this preseason, but he could use a few tune-up series. Adams & Huguenin are still battling. Hard to say what the plan is for the DBs on the 53. Burns, Haden, Hilton, Sutton, Davis, Burnett, Edmunds are locks... Sensabaugh has the clear leg-up on B-Allen & Phillips. And Berhe, M-Allen & Dangerfield are still vying for spots.

I've read somewhere that Dobbs will likely start...if he plays well, it's possible we could see a trade (yep I know, but if they like a guy, teams will trade for QBs they know will probably get cut). With the Switzer move, I think we can say Patterson is indeed in jeopardy. I still don't think he'll survive the PS...will get poached.

Samuels is the RB3 now so I think you're right, he and the warm bodies will get the brunt of the carries. If it were me, I would preserve Connor to start in CLE and work Bell in.

OLB...I think Adeniyi has made it, but needs to stay on a good path. If Watt is good to go, I would give him some snaps...as you said, the battle is between Adams and Huguein.

CB...for the 1st time in probably 5-6 yrs the Steelers have a little surplus at this position. I would not be surprised to see Sensabaugh traded. Brian Allen carved out a spot on ST LY...I don't know how much he's progressed as a CB...if they like his progress I can see them keeping his length around another year.

S...Berhe was thought to be a strong ST guy in the mold of Robert Golden...Idk if this staff still sees him in that role now, but Marcus Allen has made some strides since returning from injury...they like his size, athleticism...if he plays well in this game, they may end up going really young at S.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read somewhere that Dobbs will likely start...if he plays well, it's possible we could see a trade (yep I know, but if they like a guy, teams will trade for QBs they know will probably get cut). With the Switzer move, I think we can say Patterson is indeed in jeopardy. I still don't think he'll survive the PS...will get poached.

Samuels is the RB3 now so I think you're right, he and the warm bodies will get the brunt of the carries. If it were me, I would preserve Connor to start in CLE and work Bell in.

OLB...I think Adeniyi has made it, but needs to stay on a good path. If Watt is good to go, I would give him some snaps...as you said, the battle is between Adams and Huguein.

CB...for the 1st time in probably 5-6 yrs the Steelers have a little surplus at this position. I would not be surprised to see Sensabaugh traded. Brian Allen carved out a spot on ST LY...I don't know how much he's progressed as a CB...if they like his progress I can see them keeping his length around another year.

S...Berhe was thought to be a strong ST guy in the mold of Robert Golden...Idk if this staff still sees him in that role now, but Marcus Allen has made some strides since returning from injury...they like his size, athleticism...if he plays well in this game, they may end up going really young at S.
Agreed on all counts.

CB... A trade is possible, but the cost of which is a downgrade at the position. Even though Sens didn't particularly excel in this defense, he's still a much better CB than Allen at this point. I am not sold at all on Brian Allen. But thank God for Cam Sutton emerging. We wouldn't necessarily need Allen to play.

S... From the highlights that I have seen of Berhe, he is doing exactly what he was advertised as when they first signed him. Couple of hits I saw Tomlin get very pumped up over. I think Tomlin likes him. But its hard to say what he brings to the group given he's been relegated to playing with the 2nd & 3rd teams.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on all counts.

CB... A trade is possible, but the cost of which is a downgrade at the position. Even though Sens didn't particularly excel in this defense, he's still a much better CB than Allen at this point. I am not sold at all on Brian Allen. But thank God for Cam Sutton emerging. We wouldn't necessarily need Allen to play.

S... From the highlights that I have seen of Berhe, he is doing exactly what he was advertised as when they first signed him. Couple of hits I saw Tomlin get very pumped up over. I think Tomlin likes him. But its hard to say what he brings to the group given he's been relegated to playing with the 2nd & 3rd teams.

CB...I'm torn to be honest.

If the number was 5 overall and it came down to these two for the 5th guy. On the one hand, you're right that Sens has been the better player according to the people that have had eyes on camp and preseason. But...your CB5 is mostly an insurance policy...especially one that's not playing STs...he probably is inactive most weeks.

With Haden's injury history...you never know when you CB5 moves up to CB4.

With B. Allen being a converted WR, the learning curve was probably going to be longer than a guy that's played DEF all his life...with his size, baseline talent and ST skills...I would lean towards keeping Allen another season...if the progress is not there next yr, they can draft another long CB to push him.

I think 3 TEs, and 8 OL, will afford them 11 DBs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid just needs more experience under his belt. With every passing game he keeps getting better & better.

We don't quite know how the 3rd S is going to work or how they're going to use it, but I'm getting the feeling watching this kid run down slot WRs in space that Thomas is going to see some snaps this year and barring a major recovery from Shazier, he will be he starting Mack in '19.

LY IIRC, the NT came out for the nickel CB...this year I can see that again, plus Bostic coming out for either Edmunds as the 3rd S, or Thomas depending on what the OFC shows.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't quite know how the 3rd S is going to work or how they're going to use it, but I'm getting the feeling watching this kid run down slot WRs in space that Thomas is going to see some snaps this year and barring a major recovery from Shazier, he will be he starting Mack in '19.

LY IIRC, the NT came out for the nickel CB...this year I can see that again, plus Bostic coming out for either Edmunds as the 3rd S, or Thomas depending on what the OFC shows.
Agreed. Thomas' ceiling is much higher. If he can master the art of ILB coverages, then he'll become a solid Mack.

Schemes... That's how I see it shaping up this year. Going to be an interesting week 1. Browns appear to be a balanced offense with some bruisers up front to run the ball effectively. I don't think we'll see a whole lot of 3 S packages until week 2 vs the Chiefs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Thomas' ceiling is much higher. If he can master the art of ILB coverages, then he'll become a solid Mack.

Schemes... That's how I see it shaping up this year. Going to be an interesting week 1. Browns appear to be a balanced offense with some bruisers up front to run the ball effectively. I don't think we'll see a whole lot of 3 S packages until week 2 vs the Chiefs.

Thomas...just needs to keep working, learning...he seems to have the physical assets to play the Mack.

Schemes...With a 4some of Gordon, Landry, Chubb, Njoku and change of pace RB Duke Johnson...agreed Haley will try to be balanced, he has the goods. Bostic/Thomas probably will get the lion share of snaps in that one...maybe most of the DIV games.

The 3 S scheme just seems to fit what NE likes to do...KC, maybe NO, LAC.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas...just needs to keep working, learning...he seems to have the physical assets to play the Mack.

Schemes...With a 4some of Gordon, Landry, Chubb, Njoku and change of pace RB Duke Johnson...agreed Haley will try to be balanced, he has the goods. Bostic/Thomas probably will get the lion share of snaps in that one...maybe most of the DIV games.

The 3 S scheme just seems to fit what NE likes to do...KC, maybe NO, LAC.
Hoping that Thomas & Adeniyi's injuries aren't bad. Maybe they find a way to IR Patterson since Turf Toe can be a nagging injury.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping that Thomas & Adeniyi's injuries aren't bad. Maybe they find a way to IR Patterson since Turf Toe can be a nagging injury.

Exactly...I'm thinking Thomas was going to see some snaps on DEF...that may be the best way to stash Patterson.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3