• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason is useless

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will either.

However, they would get another home game every other year that they don't currently have.

You could look at it that way...I just don't see an unbalance season ever happening.

In the meantime...win your DIV...that'll get you an extra home game...:D

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could look at it that way...I just don't see an unbalance season ever happening.

In the meantime...win your DIV...that'll get you an extra home game...:D
I love that the NFL, for the most part, is balanced so well.
8 four team divisions.
16 regular season games
6 division games
Rotating schedule of which other divisions you play

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams bring in a lot of new guys every year. Practice and drills only show so much. They need a few preseason games to know who stays and who loads boxes at UPS.

Season ticket holders should not be forced to buy those tickets, though. And I won't watch the games, even on free TV.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams bring in a lot of new guys every year. Practice and drills only show so much. They need a few preseason games to know who stays and who loads boxes at UPS.

Season ticket holders should not be forced to buy those tickets, though. And I won't watch the games, even on free TV.

Yeah, you need to see how these players will perform in semi-real games.

You just touched on why the owners are so enamored with 4 preseason games...even if the stadium is half empty...if the team has 60,000 season ticket holders, the owner has 60,000 x facevalue of the preseason game ticket coming in regardless.

Couple that with players not getting normal game checks for these games...the owners make money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that the NFL, for the most part, is balanced so well.
8 four team divisions.
16 regular season games
6 division games
Rotating schedule of which other divisions you play

Yep...another reason why I don't expect to see any expansion in the NFL...Goodell wants European/London expansion on his watch, but I don't see it happening unless Kahn moves the Jags over there.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me that 18 game season asap.

Remember the days when starters would play a series in the 1st game, 2 series or a quarter in the 2nd game, & close to half in the 3rd game?

Now these starters are usually sitting until the 3rd game of preseason
deonte harris is gonna be a start for you guys returning kicks. hes a new dante hall. a local kid i followed at assumption college in worcester. holds the all NCAA (not just D2 or 3) record with 14 kick returns for TD.

5'6 and fast as all fuck. looked awesome yesterday.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People that go to preseason games are useless.....

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Got offered to go to the Saints/Jets game this weekend. Turned it down.

Waste of time

I've turned down dozens of offers to go to games through the years.....Not a fan of sitting in a muggy stadium in August watching players that probably won't sniff the field.....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see extending the season to 18 games. Injuries are bad enough with a 16 game season. I don't think preseason is useless. It might be useless to established teams like New England and New Orleans where they have established coaching staffs and systems and are probably set after the first week of camp but rebuilding teams with new coaching staffs can use at least a couple of those preseason games.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me that 18 game season asap.

Remember the days when starters would play a series in the 1st game, 2 series or a quarter in the 2nd game, & close to half in the 3rd game?

Now these starters are usually sitting until the 3rd game of preseason
The 18 game season is a complete money grab, and preseason is far from useless. Your post was but not preseason.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People that go to preseason games are useless.....
I disagree. If you are a season ticket holder and were forced to buy the tickets, giving them to someone who doesn't normally get to go to a game is a nice thing. I had a vendor give me a couple tickets to the Colts/Browns game. I didn't go, but I gave them to a Browns fan I work with and he went.
Some people just want to check out the stadium.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will watch the games on TV. Not the same as real games, but it's fun to check out new players (Kelly).

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. If you are a season ticket holder and were forced to buy the tickets, giving them to someone who doesn't normally get to go to a game is a nice thing. I had a vendor give me a couple tickets to the Colts/Browns game. I didn't go, but I gave them to a Browns fan I work with and he went.
Some people just want to check out the stadium.

My comment was more tongue and cheek, most of my friends that have season tickets give them away as well.....Often finding no one that wants them.....

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe players will never (& nor should they) be allowed to play more than 16 games. So until people warm up to the idea of sitting all star players (kinda like in baseball) they will never go above a 16 game schedule.

As far as merging the practice squad to the main team. Owners wont allow that. They pay the practice squad guys normal job type salaires. Where if merged to the main team they would pay league min. at worst. But if they did merge them. They still shouldnt expand game day rosters. Coaches just need to figure out who dresses & who doesnt.

If the NFL is looking to make more money. They could go to a 3 week preseason & 18 week season with 2 bye weeks. it would be an easy sell as they merely have to point out it is to help players get/stay healthy during the season. then they get an extra week of professional football. Gives an extra week for teams to be on TV etc ......... While still only playing 16 weeks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe players will never (& nor should they) be allowed to play more than 16 games. So until people warm up to the idea of sitting all star players (kinda like in baseball) they will never go above a 16 game schedule.

As far as merging the practice squad to the main team. Owners wont allow that. They pay the practice squad guys normal job type salaires. Where if merged to the main team they would pay league min. at worst. But if they did merge them. They still shouldnt expand game day rosters. Coaches just need to figure out who dresses & who doesnt.

If the NFL is looking to make more money. They could go to a 3 week preseason & 18 week season with 2 bye weeks. it would be an easy sell as they merely have to point out it is to help players get/stay healthy during the season. then they get an extra week of professional football. Gives an extra week for teams to be on TV etc ......... While still only playing 16 weeks.

If they somehow did add more games without expanding rosters, the players are even more clueless than 1st suspected.

You said owners wouldn't allow that...IDK about that...think about it...the only reason the owners care about 18 games is more revenue, so they have to know those 2 games won't come w/o additional cost.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they somehow did add more games without expanding rosters, the players are even more clueless than 1st suspected.

You said owners wouldn't allow that...IDK about that...think about it...the only reason the owners care about 18 games is more revenue, so they have to know those 2 games won't come w/o additional cost.
think you misunderstood what I am saying.
expanding to 18 week season with an extra bye. it would still be a 16 game season. (it is a 17 week season now)

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still mostly enjoy the preseason but 4 games is probably overkill.

Ideally they would go to 3 preseason games and then an 18 week regular season with each team playing 16 games and getting two bye weeks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think you misunderstood what I am saying.
expanding to 18 week season with an extra bye. it would still be a 16 game season. (it is a 17 week season now)

Oh maybe I don't...18 week season...gotcha.

An extra bye week with a 16 game season helps some, but I don't know if the owners would put that on the table.