• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preparing for the ultimate bash fest!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Mayhew suppose to inherit his inner Ms. Cleo and should have seen the vision in his crystal ball knowing Houston was going to get injured. C'mon man.

Colossal botch by Mayhew, Houston was already injured.

Chris Houston still injured as Detroit Lions kick off minicamp | MLive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Chris Houston believes he can have a bounce-back season if he's healthy, which is encouraging for a Detroit Lions team that is desperate for help in the secondary.

Only problem? He's still not healthy.

The cornerback missed the opening day of Detroit's minicamp as he continues to heal from an injured toe that prematurely ended his 2013 season.

Houston was expected to be the team's top cornerback, after inking a $25 million deal, but struggled through various injuries and off-field distractions.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there are some fans who are already over the moon in love with the pick, whoever the hell it ends up being.

Can't be talking about me here because I don't agree with everything they do. I just don't complain as much.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayhew were to get fired before the draft, there'd be a lot less bitching. (Only option in the first that would piss me off is Gordon, I think.)

Like when Millen was fired and the Lemmings chanted "In Mayhew We Trust", for no reason other than he wasn't Millen.

What about Dorial Green-Beckham..... Mike Williams part Duex..... Millen calling MM before the draft "Think of how potent the offense would be with Tate,CJ,Ebron AAAAND Beckham!!

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping they resign both Sims and Houston to complete an offseason unlike any other in Lions history. And that includes one where a promising young G was tragically killed while doing yard work.

Only the Lions could pull off a mastery of taking that next step like they have this year. Waiting on the draft results for 2015 before beginning the discussion on who might be available for us to pass on in the 2016 draft with our pick in the 8-14 range.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Dorial Green-Beckham..... Mike Williams part Duex..... Millen calling MM before the draft "Think of how potent the offense would be with Tate,CJ,Ebron AAAAND Beckham!!
Id lose my shit if Marty drafts that fucker. I mean LooooooOOooooOOOOsssse it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Mayhew suppose to inherit his inner Ms. Cleo and should have seen the vision in his crystal ball knowing Houston was going to get injured

Fairley LeShoure I've read on this board how smart MMII was for letting Delmas and myBoy Willie walk, since he saw their injuries coming. He's evidently a freakin' clairvoyant.

(Never mind that our in coming SS missed aboot the same amount of games. Even the LongIsland Medium slips up e'ry now n then.)

I'm reading this as part reality, Delmas was a walking injury, and part sarcasm, on the Willie Young late season Achilles tear.

I know Willie was one who you liked, a lot.

I'll just put a call into the LongIsland Medium and ask her what would Joe Schmidt would pick this year

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colossal botch by Mayhew, Houston was already injured.

Houston injured a toe and had a hamstring injury late in the 2012 season but he didn't ink that new deal until March 2013. I do believe he had mentioned, after being cut in 2014, that the toe injury in 2012 lingered into 2013 training camp, pre-season and early on regular season of same year.

Saying he was already injured is correct but not to the extent that was later known and clarified in spring of 2014.
Chris Houston signs a five-year contract to remain with Detroit Lions | MLive.com
that link above doesn't even mention an injury which signifies his new 5 year deal.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He prolly has Gordon rated as the second best offensive weapon in the draft.

Well, we have seen how well he has drafted skill position players -- so I'm going to side with Mayhew on this one. It isn't as if he has struck out on any skill position picks in the past.

The way I see it. At some point Mayhew has to hit on one of these picks. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. (When I say one of these picks -- I'm talking about RB, WR and TE)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon would be a good pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still confused as to why a lack of free agency activity (completely by design) makes this such a bad offseason? You guys want us to be like the perennial winners, but you hate it when we approach an offseason in the same way they do every year? I honestly believe we could actually win the Super Bowl, and some of you would be on here complaining the next day that we won't make the playoffs the following year, so-and-so was still the wrong draft pick, we won't sign the right free agents in March, blah, blah, blah.

Aside from losing Suh (which royally sucks, don't get me wrong) this has been a great offseason. We stayed away from the free agent trap and replaced Suh with one of the next best DTs in the league. Nothing wrong with that, imo, and certainly not this disaster some of you seem so badly to want it to be...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still confused as to why a lack of free agency activity (completely by design) makes this such a bad offseason?
this has been a great offseason

Are you suggesting that we are a better team today than we were walking off the field in Dallas? And that was by design?? Was that so we could get a couple comp picks? If your honest answer to that is yes then its time for us to stage an intervention for you.

I honestly believe we could actually win the Super Bowl, and some of you would be on here complaining the next day that we won't make the playoffs the following year, so-and-so was still the wrong draft pick, we won't sign the right free agents in March, blah, blah, blah.

Let's test that theory, win the Super Bowl and we'll find out. Cause I honestly think we could win 5 games this season, Ngata and Walker both leave in FA (leaving us for the second year with no DT's other than Reid), but we get three comp picks and you would still say this was a great offseason.

The talented roster that Millenhew supporters use as the basis for defending the guy got weaker this offseason, not better. Getting better is the point of the offseason, we didn't do that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you suggesting that we are a better team today than we were walking off the field in Dallas? And that was by design?? Was that so we could get a couple comp picks? If your honest answer to that is yes then its time for us to stage an intervention for you.

Let's test that theory, win the Super Bowl and we'll find out. Cause I honestly think we could win 5 games this season, Ngata and Walker both leave in FA (leaving us for the second year with no DT's other than Reid), but we get three comp picks and you would still say this was a great offseason.

The talented roster that Millenhew supporters use as the basis for defending the guy got weaker this offseason, not better. Getting better is the point of the offseason, we didn't do that.
A.) Are we really that much worse than we were when we walked off the field against Dallas? We lost Suh from that squad and... and... CJ Mosley? We replaced Suh with a really, really good DT, which seems to be getting constantly and completely over-looked.

B.) There's more to the offseason than free agency, and beyond that all these "good" teams that we keep wanting the Lions to be like, don't piss around much in free agency, and, yes, it's for the comp picks. You can't knock Mayhew for "over-paying" for Ngata by giving up two mid-round picks, then turn right back around and bash him for trying to net mid-round picks by staying out of free agency.

The draft hasn't even happened yet but some of you are already chalking up this offseason as a loss because we didn't "improve" in free agency? I'm sorry but that's akin to looking at the whole thing with tunnel vision. If they don't do exactly what you want at every turn, that doesn't mean we're headed for a top-ten pick next season. I think its ridiculous that we lose Suh, don't sign any big free agents, and suddenly our 11 win team is a joke.

The silver lining for me is that this is the exact same group of guys crying up a storm about how much of a shithole this organization was at this time last year, and that worked out pretty well in the end, so...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from losing Suh..... We traded for a dude coming off a PED suspension and signed a backup.

But we did resign the kicker that we signed after he finished up his suspension. N'ermind, great work Marty.

Lets throw a party! (And not invite Prater. Or Reggie Bush. Or Darren Sharper.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If beating enough shitty teams in order to be a one and done playoff team is working out pretty well, Id like to see really well for a fucking change.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from losing Suh..... We traded for a dude coming off a PED suspension and signed a backup.

But we did resign the kicker that we signed after he finished up his suspension. N'ermind, great work Marty.

Lets throw a party! (And not invite Prater. Or Reggie Bush. Or Darren Sharper.)

Its better than worrying that he will get himself suspended for the playoffs for stomping on people and cheap shotting players. Suh is the dirtiest player in the game (although Dom was giving him a run) acording to the rest of the players and always a threat to get himself suspended for the season.

Ngata wont be a problem going forward.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that Sims and Dom are not replaceable. Just about anything should be a upgrade. Swanson and the rookie(apparently not a Vet) have to work out together. So I am not just looking at the defense, but also the offense is weaker than last years team. That is a scary thought...

TP can you say that the 97th pick next year or the 5th rounder for Fairley will perform better than a proven vet? I thought some were saying Ngata was better than any 4th or 5th pick anyway? or at least better than the production the Lions could get from those picks. So now a comp pick next year is better than a FA this year?
Mayhew makes the decision on whether a comp pick is good. Take a Warford and yes it was good. Take Derrick Williams and that comp pick is useless.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B.) There's more to the offseason than free agency, and beyond that all these "good" teams that we keep wanting the Lions to be like, don't piss around much in free agency, and, yes, it's for the comp picks. You can't knock Mayhew for "over-paying" for Ngata by giving up two mid-round picks, then turn right back around and bash him for trying to net mid-round picks by staying out of free agency.

I'm thinking many of the issues people have and this isn't fact, just my guess -- It has to do with Mayhew's ineffectiveness in the draft, while he has shown he is quite good signing free agents.

So while I agree -- sustainable success cannot be bought in free agency and has to be done through the draft, is Mayhew really the guy we are going to put our faith in? I think that is also why you see so many people cringe when a RB, WR or TE is talked about being a draft pick for Detroit -- Mayhew hasn't hit on one of those picks in 6 years. I know that is why I don't want to see anything but a OL or DL as they are much safer picks.

It is all well and good to say the Lions are being like other 'good' teams, but you have to draft like the other good teams to be able to hang with them on a consistent basis. So far -- Detroit has only shown they are better than the average to below average teams, but nowhere near the top tier teams.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its better than worrying that he will get himself suspended for the playoffs for stomping on people and cheap shotting players. Suh is the dirtiest player in the game (although Dom was giving him a run) acording to the rest of the players and always a threat to get himself suspended for the season.

Ngata wont be a problem going forward.
Is it better? I don't think it is. Can't really see how that picture could even be painted tbh.

He tests positive again, he's gone a year. That goes for the kicker too.

Suh got suspended once, for half the amount of time those guys got. (Suh has never even been the dirtiest on his own defense. (Fairley). And that guy was never the dirtiest guy on his own team. (Ravioli))

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the PED system set up different than substance abuse? I know right at the beginning of the season it changed some. The reason I ask is Prater was in rehab during his four games. I wonder had he not been, would of been reduced.
Either way I realize Prater is walking a fine line. I just am not sure are they different now?