• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential NFL expansion...

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm generally against expansion for at least another few years. As others have said, 32 teams allows each division to have the same number of teams and it has worked out well so far. Still, considering the money involved, I understand why the owners and players would be in favor it--it would benefit both of them.

While a team shared by the Austin/San Antonio would be a great idea, Jones and McNair will strongly oppose a 3rd team in Texas. Ditto trying to put a 4th team in Florida, as the Jags, Bucs, and Phins could probably shoot that down.

I like the idea of Portland getting a team. I would also be in favor of a Salt Lake City team called the Utah _____ (ala Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Panthers).

I don't see it happening soon, like in the next 2 or 3 years, but I'd be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 10 b/c the last expansion was 19 years ago, making it the longest period the NFL has ever gone without expanding.
The previous 4 expansions:
76 Bucs and Seahawks
95 Panthers and Jags
99 Browns
02 Texans

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing a 8 team, 4 per conference, Canadian division.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing a 8 team, 4 per conference, Canadian division.
Does Canada have a football field that isn't 150 yards long? I'm not being a smartass. I'm legit curious. I respect Canada, but I'd rather all NFL franchises be in the states.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Canada have a football field that isn't 150 yards long? I'm not being a smartass. I'm legit curious. I respect Canada, but I'd rather all NFL franchises be in the states.

Probaably

I would do:

AFC Canada: Toronto*, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax or Winnipeg

NFC: Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver/Victoria*

* would have to pay Expansion Fees

Start out with AFC East and NFC West

And if it goes...

for NFL Fans. type Sask in your search bar and you'll get it

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all forget that Jacksonville has first dibs on the London location.

So move the Jags to London and give one of the new teams to Jacksonville where there is already a stadium and fan base.

I thought that one of the "unwritten" rules was that there had to be a population of at least 15M within 100 mile radius. Or has that gotten bigger or gone away? That rule is because the population of New England isn't that much and half of Connecticut is basically a New York suburb. This was back in the 90's when Kraft bought the team and the league was excited about the Patriots being moved to St. Louis before he did.

Does St. Louis have any dibs after losing two teams?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what color scheme a new team will have, considering every traditional one is taken. I’d do a a maroon with a little bit of silver.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more teams the more bad QB's, the less teams a higher quality of play, 32 is too many, we dn't need more.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at teams right now that literally don't have an NFL-caliber quarterback. Does anyone think the league even has 32 first class starters? It's been this way for years, and it is NOT getting better.
Not nearly as many teams with unplayable starters either. Andy Dalton struggles to find a starting job nowadays. Ditto with Cam Newton.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Florio theorizes that with the improved QB play expansion is inevitable within the next 10 years. I figure it would be 36 teams meaning 4 new franchises. I'm not exactly a proponent of this, but if it happens so be it. Where would the four new teams be located? I've watched some YouTube videos and looked online at some ideas. One video had:
(1)Austin, TX
(2)San Diego, CA
(3)*San Antonio, TX
(4)*Louisville, KY
(5)St Louis, MO (I don't think so)
(6)*Portland, OR
(7)Honolulu, HI
(8)Birmingham, AL
(9)Orlando, FL
(10)*Omaha, NE (Warren Buffett and his crew could swing it)

For the sake of argument I chose the four cities with an asterisk. Let's see how it would look if the league was realigned "correctly" with 6 divisions of 6.
West--LAC, LAR, LV, Portland, SEA, SF
Midwest--ARZ, DAL, DEN, HOU, KC, San Antonio
North--CHI, DET, GB, IND, MIN, Omaha
South--ATL, JAX, MIA, NO, TB, TEN
Central--BAL, BUF, CIN, CLE, Louisville, PIT
East--CAR, NE, NYG, NYJ, PHI, WAS

THERE'S NO WAY THEY WOULD ____________________ (insert angry response here).

There may be some people who are actually for this. I chose the four cities at random where I think it could work. Feel free, of course, to choose your own cities and realignment.

Louisville Mustangs
Omaha Twisters
Portland Cougars
San Antonio Marshals
...just spit balling. :D

I Think San Antonio/Austin and San Diego areas makes sense. Other possible areas not mentioned would be Ok City & Columbus, OH. Maybe Sacramento & Virginia Beach/Norfolk area??

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probaably

I would do:

AFC Canada: Toronto*, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax or Winnipeg

NFC: Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver/Victoria*

* would have to pay Expansion Fees

Start out with AFC East and NFC West

And if it goes...

for NFL Fans. type Sask in your search bar and you'll get it
Would need to require dome stadiums for them, gets really cold up in some of those parts in November.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would need to require dome stadiums for them, gets really cold up in some of those parts in November.

Vancouver and Toronto.

I've been in Ottawa's once for a grey cup. It is actually nice from a surrounding view as it is in downtown but the Rideau Canal runs around it

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vancouver and Toronto.

I've been in Ottawa's once for a grey cup. It is actually nice from a surrounding view as it is in downtown but the Rideau Canal runs around it
I love both of those metro areas, been to each numerous times. Not Ottawa though, on bucket list. Been to Montreal a few times as well. Quebec City too, want to go there

Last edited:

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philadelphia should get a 2nd team.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard question so what about this:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this whole idea about QB play improving will result in expansion still seems off to me.

If you expand the league, the CB and EDGE groupings will be even thinner and I dont really think they're all that stellar right now. Then it will look like QB play will improve again because teams will be getting CBs off the street to play their Nickel and Dime packages.

Eventually it will lead to more lopsided matches where 1 team will get a key player or two injured and a whole unit will stop functioning. Mahomes was able to carry a bad oline to the Super Bowl and got smoked. Not sure who watches that game and thinks 'we need more of this'

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this whole idea about QB play improving will result in expansion still seems off to me.

If you expand the league, the CB and EDGE groupings will be even thinner and I dont really think they're all that stellar right now. Then it will look like QB play will improve again because teams will be getting CBs off the street to play their Nickel and Dime packages.

Eventually it will lead to more lopsided matches where 1 team will get a key player or two injured and a whole unit will stop functioning. Mahomes was able to carry a bad oline to the Super Bowl and got smoked. Not sure who watches that game and thinks 'we need more of this'
All true, and even though there's more NFL quality QB's at the moment there's no guarantee it continues. Ebb and flow has to taken into account.