• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post your name here if

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time it actually was a steal of a deal keeping him out of arbitration and free agency. Who in the world thought 3B would become the RB of baseball where there is zero value anymore or that organizations would wisen up and quit paying outrageous contracts anymore? Seager heading into his prime shouldn't have regressed as bad as he has.
It was never a steal.

2014 SEA 25 96 .268 .334 .454 .788
2013 SEA 22 69 .261 .339 .427 .766
2012 SEA 20 86 .259 .316 .423 .739

Even the outrageous contract Boston gave the fat Panda would have had more value.

But hindsight is 20/20 and there isn't much you could do now. I'd trade/pay Seager to go away and have Cano play 3rd and keep Cruz.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is Cruz in their only consistent offensive player.
I fully understand that, and yet with him and his productivity they haven't made the playoffs. If payroll is part of it and we can't get rid of Felix or Cano's to make room for higher value pitchers and other pieces to get over the hump, our hands are tied. We can't bring up talent from within because the farm system is a joke. They have limited options.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation will get us nowhere. Dipoto is going to do whatever the hell he wants to do, and more likely than not, whatever he does will make some of us happy and will piss off the rest of us. Bottom line, it probably won't make any sense to any of us anyway. Three years in and look what kind of team we have. :noidea: The dude is a loose canon...period. :doh: Fuck him, Servais and the horse they rode in on. Preseason football starts tonight!! and it's time to switch gears. :thumb:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said any of the following:

This team sucks
We need to blow it up and rebuild
Jerry Dipoto doesnt know what he is doing
Jerry Dipoto should be fired
We traded away good prospects for Wal Mart pitchers
Its going to be another long season
Its going to be another long 5-6 years with this Management

The list can go on, the mariners are currently 1 game out of first and 13 games above .500. Has all the trades and signings our Jerry has done worked out no? but he didnt have much to work with when he took over and things are looking descent. We won the trade with Arizona, Gordon looks great, Gonzales finally looks descent and we are finally not a joke anymore. We have along season still but I am excited about the direction we are going in.

*Knocks on wood
This team sucks
We need to blow it up and rebuild
Jerry Dipshito doesn't know what he is doing
Jerry Dipshito should be fired
We traded away good prospects for wal mart pitchers
Its going to be another long season
Its going to be another long 5-6 years with this Management
Every bit of what you scored is true. 100% of it. Those saying those things were sages, or at least just been around long enough to know what the inevitable end to EVERY M's season is and will be.

Did I read correctly that the M's got swept at home in a 4 games series by the worst team in the AL? Is that right? :lol: Sounds like they gave up before the end of the year. Again. :L

They entirely suckered some of you into thinking they were legit this year. I feel for all of you that thought that way. It does suck a little less when you anticipate this ending.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of self entitled people in this group is ridiculous. Listen I am just as frustrated as you guys and I think its embarrassing that the Mariners hold the longest playoff drought in all of professional sports but to say this team should blow up and Jerry Dipoto should be fired after having a 245-226 record since taking over 3 years ago which is better than a lot of teams right now is stupid.

We all know how hard it is to win in Seattle in any sport? We are a smaller market we dont attract big name free agents unless we shell out a ton of money, our high school athletics are average we have to recruit from california and other states to be competitive in college. We have to draft perfectly to build winning teams. International prospects arent dying for the mariners to sign them. You guys act like we came from a winning tradition I remember when this team SUCKED and would win 60-70 games and be a top 5 in the draft. Now all of a sudden winning 85 games a year isnt to your standard. Well I would rather be in the playoff hunt and not make it then compete for high draft picks.

This is the same conversation I have with seahawk fans that say we should trade Russell wilson and fire Pete Carroll and blow up the seahawks and start new. The seahawks used to SUCK. Today the state of washington is are competitive in the NFL, College football, College Basketball, MLB, MLS and we just won the WNBA championship.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give Jerry 1 more year to fix the problems. He says he's embarrassed and he should be, so go do something about it. I want to see action this off season and put a competitive team on the field with a massive upgrade at SP.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are you going to do if next year's season is a similar shit mess like this season has been? Fire Dipoto?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are a smaller market we dont attract big name free agents unless we shell out a ton of money, our high school athletics are average we have to recruit from california and other states to be competitive in college.

1- We are not a smaller market. We just say we are to keep from spending. We are ranked 12th by TV Market Size (Major Pro Sports Teams By TV Market Size)
2- Nothing else mentioned matters.

The value of each team in Major League Baseball.
Forbes is one of the premier business publications in America and provides market research for a number of different fields. Here are Forbes’ rankings of Major League organizations based on their team value.

1. New York Yankees ($4 billion)
2. Los Angeles Dodgers ($3 billion)
3. Chicago Cubs ($2.9 billion)
4. San Francisco Giants ($2.85 billion)
5. Boston Red Sox ($2.8 billion)
6. New York Mets ($2.1 billion)
7. St. Louis Cardinals ($1.9 billion)
8. Los Angeles Angels ($1.8 billion)
9. Philadelphia Phillies ($1.7 billion)
10. Washington Nationals ($1.675 billion)
11. Houston Astros ($1.65 billion)
12. Atlanta Braves ($1.625 billion)
13. Texas Rangers($1.6 billion)
14. Chicago White Sox ($1.5 billion)
15. Seattle Mariners ($1.45 billion)
16. Toronto Blue Jays ($1.35 billion)
17. San Diego Padres ($1.27 billion)
18. Pittsburgh Pirates ($1.26 billion)
19. Detroit Tigers ($1.225 billion)
20. Arizona Diamondbacks ($1.21 billion)
21. Baltimore Orioles ($1.2 billion)
22. Minnesota Twins ($1.15 billion)
23. Colorado Rockies ($1.1 billion)
24. Cleveland Indians ($1.045 billion)
25. Milwaukee Brewers ($1.030 billion)
26. Oakland Athletics ($1.020 billion)
27. Kansas City Royals ($1.015 billion)
28. Cincinnati Reds ($1.010 billion)
29. Miami Marlins ($1 billion)
30. Tampa Bay Rays ($900 million)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Dipoto should be fired after having a 245-226 record since taking over 3 years ago which is better than a lot of teams right now is stupid.

And ZERO playoff appearances which to my understanding is the only reason we play the game...to make the playoffs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was never a steal.

2014 SEA 25 96 .268 .334 .454 .788
2013 SEA 22 69 .261 .339 .427 .766
2012 SEA 20 86 .259 .316 .423 .739

Even the outrageous contract Boston gave the fat Panda would have had more value.

But hindsight is 20/20 and there isn't much you could do now. I'd trade/pay Seager to go away and have Cano play 3rd and keep Cruz.

I guess we can disagree, I did and still think it was a steal for how the market was during that period. He has progessively gotten better and was heading into his prime years. $18 million at the time wasn't a huge deal to me as had he hit the open market $18 IMO would have been the starting point.

Noone, especially a con man like Jack Z could have forseen the market dropping off the map as GM's wisened up or the fact that a player who exceeded even the wildest of expectations would take a nose dive during him prime.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- We are not a smaller market. We just say we are to keep from spending. We are ranked 12th by TV Market Size (Major Pro Sports Teams By TV Market Size)
2- Nothing else mentioned matters.

The value of each team in Major League Baseball.
Forbes is one of the premier business publications in America and provides market research for a number of different fields. Here are Forbes’ rankings of Major League organizations based on their team value.

1. New York Yankees ($4 billion)
2. Los Angeles Dodgers ($3 billion)
3. Chicago Cubs ($2.9 billion)
4. San Francisco Giants ($2.85 billion)
5. Boston Red Sox ($2.8 billion)
6. New York Mets ($2.1 billion)
7. St. Louis Cardinals ($1.9 billion)
8. Los Angeles Angels ($1.8 billion)
9. Philadelphia Phillies ($1.7 billion)
10. Washington Nationals ($1.675 billion)
11. Houston Astros ($1.65 billion)
12. Atlanta Braves ($1.625 billion)
13. Texas Rangers($1.6 billion)
14. Chicago White Sox ($1.5 billion)
15. Seattle Mariners ($1.45 billion)
16. Toronto Blue Jays ($1.35 billion)
17. San Diego Padres ($1.27 billion)
18. Pittsburgh Pirates ($1.26 billion)
19. Detroit Tigers ($1.225 billion)
20. Arizona Diamondbacks ($1.21 billion)
21. Baltimore Orioles ($1.2 billion)
22. Minnesota Twins ($1.15 billion)
23. Colorado Rockies ($1.1 billion)
24. Cleveland Indians ($1.045 billion)
25. Milwaukee Brewers ($1.030 billion)
26. Oakland Athletics ($1.020 billion)
27. Kansas City Royals ($1.015 billion)
28. Cincinnati Reds ($1.010 billion)
29. Miami Marlins ($1 billion)
30. Tampa Bay Rays ($900 million)

Any buyers for 1.45B...anybody...anybody :hope:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of self entitled people in this group is ridiculous. Listen I am just as frustrated as you guys and I think its embarrassing that the Mariners hold the longest playoff drought in all of professional sports but to say this team should blow up and Jerry Dipoto should be fired after having a 245-226 record since taking over 3 years ago which is better than a lot of teams right now is stupid.

We all know how hard it is to win in Seattle in any sport? We are a smaller market we dont attract big name free agents unless we shell out a ton of money, our high school athletics are average we have to recruit from california and other states to be competitive in college. We have to draft perfectly to build winning teams. International prospects arent dying for the mariners to sign them. You guys act like we came from a winning tradition I remember when this team SUCKED and would win 60-70 games and be a top 5 in the draft. Now all of a sudden winning 85 games a year isnt to your standard. Well I would rather be in the playoff hunt and not make it then compete for high draft picks.

This is the same conversation I have with seahawk fans that say we should trade Russell wilson and fire Pete Carroll and blow up the seahawks and start new. The seahawks used to SUCK. Today the state of washington is are competitive in the NFL, College football, College Basketball, MLB, MLS and we just won the WNBA championship.
Pretty much none of that.

Entitled? Because we weren't buying this team was already locked into a playoff slot in May/June and want more than what we have been spoon fed for the last 17 years? If you are satisfied with only kind of loosely going after playoff spots and never making it then good on you, but anyone else who wants more is entitled? :L

This isn't a 'small market'. It's the 12th largest market in the country. As in upper half. And they are the only professional baseball team in hundreds of miles in any direction. They get fans from at least 5 states. So their reach is FAR beyond their local TV market. Look at their merchandising power.

What does college level skills have to do with professional baseball? Like nothing. That might be a small valid point for college teams trying to find local high school talent, but how many players on any MLB team grew up and played in the market they are now playing for? It's a global sport.

We did have a winning tradition. At least long enough that anyone who was around from 95-2001 shouldn't EVER accept the excuses we were given for all those years before it. What did it take to win? Bringing in Lou. That's it. They brought in the right people and got lucky on a couple of players and gave us a taste of playoff baseball.

IMO any 'fan' that is willing to go along with the status quo really isn't a 'fan', as in fanatic which is what that stands for. Browns fans shouldn't just accept losing. Neither should we. Why are they here if it's not to fight to get into the playoffs and have their chances at a world title?

And I was only being a bit tongue in cheek with reading you back your own list. They don't have to fire Dipoto, but so far he hasn't really given you anything more than you had before he came has he? And it is clear Servais isn't the answer in the clubhouse. He's not. You have a fragile flower #1 that really can't be a #1, an overpaid and clearly spent former #1 that can't be seen even as a #5 unless he FINALLY reinvents himself this off season. Gonzo has some solid potential as a middle of the rotation kind of guy. And then what? You have a 3rd basemen that was near dead last in defense and has been terrible on offense for long enough not to simply view it as a short term thing. And you may have a good defensive catcher, but he was ruined by the prior regime and this one hasn't found a way to fix him yet. He's the biggest head case at the plate I've seen in years. Robbie is drugged up and getting older. Cruiz is well past his prime. Segura and Haniger have flashes and are both fragile.

They have a LOT of holes and problems and really not a lot of reason for anyone to believe they know how to fix it. They don't suck because of their market size. They suck because of BAD mismanagement for years and years and years to the point where their minor league system is the biggest joke in the sport.

And no, this isn't the same conversation as idiots who blame Wilson for the issues with that offense for the hawks. We are clearly laying out a list of reasons this team is bad. Blaming the QB in football or simply calling out the play caller is low lying fruit.

Your last bit makes me wonder what any part of the rest of your rant was about. This is too small of a market to win championships in baseball, but you point out they have won recently in the NFL, MLS, WNBA, and have college teams back on the rise. Doesn't that fly in the face of your first point?

No sir. I will not sit by and accept mediocrity. I won't. We deserve more and there is no excuse for this many years of not having at least a blip or two. I'm not asking for dominating every year. Make the playoffs 2-4 times a decade if that's all you can muster, but going 17 fucking years? :L
That
is
not
acceptable
at
all

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ZERO playoff appearances which to my understanding is the only reason we play the game...to make the playoffs.

so if I understand everything correctly according to what you are telling me missing the playoffs by a few games in the wild card and being the worst team in your conference is the same thing because they both missed the playoffs? If so then my opinions are my own and yours is yours we have nothing else to talk about.

Pretty much none of that.

Entitled? Because we weren't buying this team was already locked into a playoff slot in May/June and want more than what we have been spoon fed for the last 17 years? If you are satisfied with only kind of loosely going after playoff spots and never making it then good on you, but anyone else who wants more is entitled? :L

This isn't a 'small market'. It's the 12th largest market in the country. As in upper half. And they are the only professional baseball team in hundreds of miles in any direction. They get fans from at least 5 states. So their reach is FAR beyond their local TV market. Look at their merchandising power.

What does college level skills have to do with professional baseball? Like nothing. That might be a small valid point for college teams trying to find local high school talent, but how many players on any MLB team grew up and played in the market they are now playing for? It's a global sport.

We did have a winning tradition. At least long enough that anyone who was around from 95-2001 shouldn't EVER accept the excuses we were given for all those years before it. What did it take to win? Bringing in Lou. That's it. They brought in the right people and got lucky on a couple of players and gave us a taste of playoff baseball.

IMO any 'fan' that is willing to go along with the status quo really isn't a 'fan', as in fanatic which is what that stands for. Browns fans shouldn't just accept losing. Neither should we. Why are they here if it's not to fight to get into the playoffs and have their chances at a world title?

And I was only being a bit tongue in cheek with reading you back your own list. They don't have to fire Dipoto, but so far he hasn't really given you anything more than you had before he came has he? And it is clear Servais isn't the answer in the clubhouse. He's not. You have a fragile flower #1 that really can't be a #1, an overpaid and clearly spent former #1 that can't be seen even as a #5 unless he FINALLY reinvents himself this off season. Gonzo has some solid potential as a middle of the rotation kind of guy. And then what? You have a 3rd basemen that was near dead last in defense and has been terrible on offense for long enough not to simply view it as a short term thing. And you may have a good defensive catcher, but he was ruined by the prior regime and this one hasn't found a way to fix him yet. He's the biggest head case at the plate I've seen in years. Robbie is drugged up and getting older. Cruiz is well past his prime. Segura and Haniger have flashes and are both fragile.

They have a LOT of holes and problems and really not a lot of reason for anyone to believe they know how to fix it. They don't suck because of their market size. They suck because of BAD mismanagement for years and years and years to the point where their minor league system is the biggest joke in the sport.

And no, this isn't the same conversation as idiots who blame Wilson for the issues with that offense for the hawks. We are clearly laying out a list of reasons this team is bad. Blaming the QB in football or simply calling out the play caller is low lying fruit.

Your last bit makes me wonder what any part of the rest of your rant was about. This is too small of a market to win championships in baseball, but you point out they have won recently in the NFL, MLS, WNBA, and have college teams back on the rise. Doesn't that fly in the face of your first point?

No sir. I will not sit by and accept mediocrity. I won't. We deserve more and there is no excuse for this many years of not having at least a blip or two. I'm not asking for dominating every year. Make the playoffs 2-4 times a decade if that's all you can muster, but going 17 fucking years? :L
That
is
not
acceptable
at
all

First of all the whole point of my rant was everyone is complaining about where we are about to finish and that we should fire the GM when the mariners did the right thing in extending his contract. you talk about my fan hood just because I am trying to support them and get excited for them to push into the playoffs? How the hell is firing the GM at this stage better than building off a team that won around 85 games. I am saying this is a SMALLER market than many of the teams that have constant success? So you guys want to be in the same conversation at New York, Boston, and LA well unfortunately we arent so we have to be more creative in our means to be competitive. If we want big named free agents to come like Robinson Cano and retain big name players like Felix Hernandez then we need to shell out a mega contract to do so. There are plenty of players that have us on their no trade clause in their contract.

The reason why I brought up those other sports is to show you all how hard it is to be relevant playing in this region. People forget the seahawks had a few 7-9 win seasons under pete caroll before drafting Russell Wilson. According to you guys we should have fired Pete Caroll by that time according to your logic. The Storm had sucked, the sounders sucked, huskies sucked etc it is all apart of the process.

How many years its been since the mariners last made the playoffs is 100% irrelevant when evaluating the job of your GM. I dont want anyone on this board mentioning the mariners playoff draught when talking about Jerry Dipoto because you have 0 argument. You evaluate him based on whats happened since 2016 and it is a fact that this franchise has gotten better since our last GM. Since Jerry took over we have acquired Haniger, Segura, Leake, Gordon, Healy, Gonzales, and leblanc. Other than Leblanc those guys are good enough to be on the team for the next 3-6 years. Other than not making the playoffs the Mariners are better than like 80% of the teams in the league. and btw the team that beat us out for the 2nd wild card spot has a better record than any national league team and are neck and neck with the yankees both whom will probably be near 100 wins at the end of the season, thats our excuse for not making the playoffs what is everyone elses?

I tell you what some of you guys should never have been a Houston Astros fan in another life because when they hired Jeff Luhnow back in 2011 and had 3 straight years of 50 win seasons before they started winning 70-85 games a season but they should have fired him long before that. In his time they acquired Carlos Correra, Springer, Charlie Morton, Alex Bergman, Lance Mccullers etc.

Unless we go back to 60 win seasons I would give Jerry Dipoto 3 more years I want to see how his draft picks pan out in the majors before I would make any decision on him.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we're just in the wrong division. 82-67 is good enough for 3rd in the AL West. But we'd be tied for 1st in the NL West. We should petition MLB to be switched to the NL next year.

82-67 isn't exactly terrible. But when the Astros, A's, and Yankees are all having a better season, there's not much you can do about that.

Basically just trying to say, keep things in perspective. We're heading in the right direction. No need to bail just because there are better teams than ours this season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if I understand everything correctly according to what you are telling me missing the playoffs by a few games in the wild card and being the worst team in your conference is the same thing because they both missed the playoffs? If so then my opinions are my own and yours is yours we have nothing else to talk about.

Agreed.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we're just in the wrong division. 82-67 is good enough for 3rd in the AL West. But we'd be tied for 1st in the NL West. We should petition MLB to be switched to the NL next year.

6-14 vs the NL. Sorry no matter the league this team isn't good enough right now

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow up

True the market size isn't NY, Boston, LA or Chicago but Seattle has more money than any of those towns. We have 3 of the top 10 wealthiest men in the world in the town. But Seattle's population is tiny and so is the metro area but a majority of Seattle sports fans come from outside the census Seattle market. If you tailgate at a Hawks game I'd guess 15% of the fans would be counted towards the Seattle metro area compared to the other top markets which are all massive populations in smaller areas.