• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post draft assessment and concerns (First 3 picks)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We begin with the first pick, Dwayne Haskins:

Disagree or agree on this pick but one thing is certain, the team made the pick and it's an effort to solve the QB conundrum that its had for years. Personally, I'm impressed with this selection, the young man, as I've stated before in stature and build reminds me of a young Peyton Manning (6-4 230, arm length 31.50 inches, Hand size 10.13 inches, BMI 27.71 not much of a hardbody) Compared to Dwayne, 6'3 and 3/8 (6-4), 231, arm length 33.5 inches, hands 9 5/8 inches.

On field, his delivery, stance, quick release, powerful arm, accuracy, ability to make the quick and proper read, how he functions in the pocket, the way that he climbs the pocket vertically and stands tall in the face of pressure. Displays natural touch on throws to the outside hash and sideline throws. Not a statue, showing enough athleticism to move the pocket and pick up yards as a rusher. He is an incredibly clutch playmaker, showing toughness, character, leadership and poise when game is on the line. To me this Dan Marino all day, 24-7 and twice on Sundays! I know that it's high praise and I've seen the comparisons to Drew Bledsoe but Bledsoe didn't work the pocket as these two do nor did he have the quick release and as powerful arm.

My biggest concern about him is his work habits which we have yet to realize at the professional level. He sometimes lets a couple of bad plays snowball into more and must overcome this at the highest level in order to succeed. I've seen him from time to time make throws off balance and miss some when on the run but there's nothing about his game that isn't easily correctable.

Beyond his is the organization that he now works for. As you read this he is already the best QB on the team. He will undoubtedly, as we say where I come from, "show his ass" in the preseason and on the practice field and the temptation will be to start this young man immediately and it's going to take every bit of restraint to do so, but refusing to start him right away is a must!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Montez Sweat:

An immediate starter and possibly an impact player, something that this team has lacked for years. By now we all know the numbers, 6-6, 260-pounds, officially ran a 4.41-second 40, setting the NFL scouting combine record for defensive linemen dating back to 2003. By almost all assessments this guy should terrorize opposing offensive linemen and QB's for year to come.

That's the good news:

Potential shortcomings could be exacerbated by the organizations insistence upon playing him on the right side of their defense because Ryan Kerrigan currently mans the spot and not being willing to move him there's no other place for Sweat except on the right side. Not that Sweat can't make the adjustment to playing opposite his natural position but that is the point, he's going to haver to make those adjustments and the result might be that his weaknesses become more pronounced. These weaknesses include the sometime choppy and segmented upfield rush, a bit stiff on counter play and transitions, doesn't have a very effective chop or swipe move, needs to work on converting his speed to power and has to work on being able to slide laterally. Considering his age and relative inexperience, I wonder if he would be initially more effective on the left and moving Kerrigan to the right side.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Terry McLaurin:

This team needed a leader who doesn't allow his teammates to get down on themselves when the team is losing and in McLaurin they got that and more. When you all get a chance watch some of his video and pay attention to what his teammates say about him. From what I've seen he is a workaholic who doesn't ask of his teammates what he doesn't do first. His on field positives include his willingness to block and seems to take as much pleasure from doing that as he does making the play himself. Has deceptive speed as he easily goes from zero to top speed quickly and speaking of quick that shows up in every bit of film on this guy. Once the catch is made he's one who is able to take it to the house every time, defenses are going to have to worry about this player whenever his number is called. He is a legitimate deep threat who's able to take the top of defenses. BTW: if the thinking is to jam him at the LOS, no worries, he consistently gets clean releases off the line and changes up his technique throughout the game to keep corners guessing. Here's a bonus, although I'm not sure if they will ask this of him... He is an experienced special teams player; served as a gunner on punt coverage, helping him hone his press release abilities.

This player and a healthy Richardson should create more opportunities available for Doctson in his quest to finally prove his value to a desperate wide receiving corp.

The Bad: His ball skills are lacking as he tends to rely on body catches, rarely wins contested catches and doesn’t have much play strength against contact. This guy can leap and displayed it with a 37.5 inch vertical at the combine. The problem with having it is that he rarely makes catches at the high point, preferring to allow the ball to come to him. I couldn't find it on video but there are questions about his abilities to make contested catches. If true, and again, I couldn't find examples of this, that is something that he's definitely going to have to work on in order to become what his potential seems to be. He's been compared to Paul Richardson and that could mean sharing time, or possibly moving to the slot position.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some scouting reports on Haskins:

NFL.com: “Big and talented with explosive arm talent but limited mobility Haskins is a chance-taker with the arm strength to get away with some tight window throws that most in this class can’t make. Haskins is still very early in his journey and is prone to misreading coverage and stalling in getting through his progressions. While this is normal for an inexperienced quarterback, Haskins is going to be forced to learn on the fly against NFL speed and defensive coordinators conspiring to defeat him. His athletic limitations could keep him pocket-bound, but he has the arm talent, confidence and pocket savvy to become a good NFL starter if he’s protected and given the time to develop early on.”

Walter Football: There is no doubt that Haskins has the skill set to be an NFL starting quarterback. He has a powerful arm that can rifle the ball into tight windows to beat good coverage. He has a serious fastball and can really spin the football. Along with throwing lasers, Haskins shows the ability to put air underneath the ball and throw touch passes. He is adept at throwing the deep ball and stretching the field vertically. Along with his good size, Haskins shows impressive pocket presence with patience and comfort despite the rush flowing around him. Haskins possesses the potential to be an accurate passer, but he could stand to improve the consistency of his ball placement.

While there is no doubt that Haskins has special arm talent, there also is no debate that he is a raw quarterback who needs development. That is not surprising considering Haskins was only a 1-year starter in college. As a result of his rawness, there are stretches on tape during which everything is just a little bit off with him. His footwork can get thrown off, and his field vision can be slow. For the next level, Haskins is going to need to speed up the process. He has to get faster at working through his progressions and getting the ball out. His decision-making is not consistent, and he made some gambles with ball security that he could stand to improve. While Haskins has some mobility, he is not a dangerous running threat for the pros.

Bob McGinn: "Rewrote the Big Ten record book in only season as a starter with 4,831 yards and 50 TD passes. “He threw 50 touchdown passes and they run the ball there,” one scout said. “He is a really good pocket passer that can also roll out and throw on the move. He’s not a runner. Being a black guy people think he’s going to be an athlete-runner. He’s not, but he has good feet. He’s far from a statue. The guy can throw the ball. Holy hell. Big-time arm. Accurate. He’s just not ready to be an NFL starter.

“Turns 22 a week after the draft. Played eight games off the bench in 2017, igniting a comeback victory at Michigan in relief of injured J.T. Barrett, and started 14 games in ’18. Third-year sophomore bypassed his final two seasons. “He reminded me of Steve McNair (6-1 1/2, 225), and it wasn’t because McNair was black,” another scout said. “He didn’t have great speed, either, but he knew how to move around in the pocket. Haskins is a pocket guy. He’s exactly what you want in the National Football League. Some day, (Patrick) Mahomes is going to get hurt. Deshaun Watson is always hurt. RGIII got hurt. This guy is special.” Passer rating of 123.2 in 2018. “If he’s at his best he’s a bottom-15 QB in the NFL,” a third scout said. “Franchise quarterbacks make everybody better. He’s not that guy.”

CBS Sports: "When I think of ‘pure’ pocket passers — and in this case that comes with a touch of a negative connotation denoting a serious lack of mobility — Drew Bledsoe is one of the first quarterbacks who comes to my mind. Bledsoe was statuesque in the pocket; he just wanted to live there and fire rockets all over the field. Yes, there was an occasional step up away from pressure, but most often Bledsoe either delivered the football from inside the pocket or was hit or sacked inside the pocket. I see a lot of that with Haskins, a slow-footed, pure pocket passer.

“He’s a little more athletic than Bledsoe was, but Bledsoe had a stronger arm. I wasn’t scouting Bledsoe when he was a prospect in 1993. I was scouting bad guys Power Rangers had to fight. But I do have vivid memories of Bledsoe in the NFL. Haskins can read the entire field, is mostly accurate, and wants to set up shop between the tackles on every snap. If protected well, he can be an awesome quarterback in the NFL. Like with Bledsoe, I’m worried about Haskins when he faces pressure.”

So opinions are like …. well you know. As I said a minute or two after he was drafted there is potential for sure. He had a hell of a year in his only year. He does not have a lot of experience. I have read a couple of times that he does not do well under heavy pressure. We will see. I think he should sit for a year. My fear is he sits for a year, they fire Gruden and he has to start all over again with a new coach in year two. My fear part two is Snyder rushes this kid.

My question for you Sty is …. Murray or Haskins?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is healthy I have the most confidence in Montez Sweat. His length and speed will help him a lot. Not make him a star, he still has to learn and work hard.

McLaurin is a nice compliment at WR. You have to love the speed. He sees himself as a DJax type of player. I hope he learns to be a good intermediate WR also. Would work real well with a full compliment of receivers but the Skins haven't had that since Pierre, DJax, Clam and Reed.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Rb Love Pick like my bro said love is are 2nd rd 2020 pick ..

The biggest shock to me is it's going to be Connell run offense not a gruden no more play calling for gruden which will give us more wins

I like all the picks I thought we needed at least one more dlineman iron man is always hurt

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Rb Love Pick like my bro said love is are 2nd rd 2020 pick ..

The biggest shock to me is it's going to be Connell run offense not a gruden no more play calling for gruden which will give us more wins

I like all the picks I thought we needed at least one more dlineman iron man is always hurt

coach - where you get your info from? Ionaddis has played 28 games the past 2 years while Allen played 21. :noidea:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some scouting reports on Haskins:

NFL.com: “Big and talented with explosive arm talent but limited mobility Haskins is a chance-taker with the arm strength to get away with some tight window throws that most in this class can’t make. Haskins is still very early in his journey and is prone to misreading coverage and stalling in getting through his progressions. While this is normal for an inexperienced quarterback, Haskins is going to be forced to learn on the fly against NFL speed and defensive coordinators conspiring to defeat him. His athletic limitations could keep him pocket-bound, but he has the arm talent, confidence and pocket savvy to become a good NFL starter if he’s protected and given the time to develop early on.”

Walter Football: There is no doubt that Haskins has the skill set to be an NFL starting quarterback. He has a powerful arm that can rifle the ball into tight windows to beat good coverage. He has a serious fastball and can really spin the football. Along with throwing lasers, Haskins shows the ability to put air underneath the ball and throw touch passes. He is adept at throwing the deep ball and stretching the field vertically. Along with his good size, Haskins shows impressive pocket presence with patience and comfort despite the rush flowing around him. Haskins possesses the potential to be an accurate passer, but he could stand to improve the consistency of his ball placement.

While there is no doubt that Haskins has special arm talent, there also is no debate that he is a raw quarterback who needs development. That is not surprising considering Haskins was only a 1-year starter in college. As a result of his rawness, there are stretches on tape during which everything is just a little bit off with him. His footwork can get thrown off, and his field vision can be slow. For the next level, Haskins is going to need to speed up the process. He has to get faster at working through his progressions and getting the ball out. His decision-making is not consistent, and he made some gambles with ball security that he could stand to improve. While Haskins has some mobility, he is not a dangerous running threat for the pros.

Bob McGinn: "Rewrote the Big Ten record book in only season as a starter with 4,831 yards and 50 TD passes. “He threw 50 touchdown passes and they run the ball there,” one scout said. “He is a really good pocket passer that can also roll out and throw on the move. He’s not a runner. Being a black guy people think he’s going to be an athlete-runner. He’s not, but he has good feet. He’s far from a statue. The guy can throw the ball. Holy hell. Big-time arm. Accurate. He’s just not ready to be an NFL starter.

“Turns 22 a week after the draft. Played eight games off the bench in 2017, igniting a comeback victory at Michigan in relief of injured J.T. Barrett, and started 14 games in ’18. Third-year sophomore bypassed his final two seasons. “He reminded me of Steve McNair (6-1 1/2, 225), and it wasn’t because McNair was black,” another scout said. “He didn’t have great speed, either, but he knew how to move around in the pocket. Haskins is a pocket guy. He’s exactly what you want in the National Football League. Some day, (Patrick) Mahomes is going to get hurt. Deshaun Watson is always hurt. RGIII got hurt. This guy is special.” Passer rating of 123.2 in 2018. “If he’s at his best he’s a bottom-15 QB in the NFL,” a third scout said. “Franchise quarterbacks make everybody better. He’s not that guy.”

CBS Sports: "When I think of ‘pure’ pocket passers — and in this case that comes with a touch of a negative connotation denoting a serious lack of mobility — Drew Bledsoe is one of the first quarterbacks who comes to my mind. Bledsoe was statuesque in the pocket; he just wanted to live there and fire rockets all over the field. Yes, there was an occasional step up away from pressure, but most often Bledsoe either delivered the football from inside the pocket or was hit or sacked inside the pocket. I see a lot of that with Haskins, a slow-footed, pure pocket passer.

“He’s a little more athletic than Bledsoe was, but Bledsoe had a stronger arm. I wasn’t scouting Bledsoe when he was a prospect in 1993. I was scouting bad guys Power Rangers had to fight. But I do have vivid memories of Bledsoe in the NFL. Haskins can read the entire field, is mostly accurate, and wants to set up shop between the tackles on every snap. If protected well, he can be an awesome quarterback in the NFL. Like with Bledsoe, I’m worried about Haskins when he faces pressure.”

So opinions are like …. well you know. As I said a minute or two after he was drafted there is potential for sure. He had a hell of a year in his only year. He does not have a lot of experience. I have read a couple of times that he does not do well under heavy pressure. We will see. I think he should sit for a year. My fear is he sits for a year, they fire Gruden and he has to start all over again with a new coach in year two. My fear part two is Snyder rushes this kid.

My question for you Sty is …. Murray or Haskins?

Because we lack any sort of dynamic presence... it's Murray.