• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Fallout 4 announcement tomorrow

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What paths, perks, specials, etc. would you recommend for first timers? As in, first starting out in the game? What makes life easiest?

It never hurts to have some basic gun-skill shooting perks to start off with.

I have to say having some level of lock-picking is almost essential. You will be miserable until you have the ability to pick decent level locks on doors and safes and other locked boxes. I was so happy when I maxed out that skill. Perception is important for both areas and worth starting out at certain decent level. 7 or higher.

Hacking computer terminals is similar but I've found you can get around many of those.

Both picking locks and hacking take some practice so save before you start until you get better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It never hurts to have some basic gun-skill shooting perks to start off with.

I have to say having some level of lock-picking is almost essential. You will be miserable until you have the ability to pick decent level locks on doors and safes and other locked boxes. I was so happy when I maxed out that skill. Perception is important for both areas and worth starting out at certain decent level. 7 or higher.

Hacking computer terminals is similar but I've found you can get around many of those.

Both picking locks and hacking take some practice so save before you start until you get better.
I have found that both of those skills are FUN, but not necessary. The loot in safes is usually relatively worthless. You get your best stuff (save for the Cryolator) from mob-drops. And you never have to hack or pick to finish a quest.

I have both maxed, and they are decently fun side-games. But I dont think they are mandatory.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have found that both of those skills are FUN, but not necessary. The loot in safes is usually relatively worthless. You get your best stuff (save for the Cryolator) from mob-drops. And you never have to hack or pick to finish a quest.

I have both maxed, and they are decently fun side-games. But I dont think they are mandatory.

I wouldn't say worthless. I think most contents are often useful and worthwhile to pick.
For much of the game everything is useful. Particularly since they made junk collecting important in Fallout 4.

Yes, you don't need it to finish quests, but I just hated not knowing what's in there and that's why I said it will make you miserable if your skills aren't enough.

Plus picking doors to get where you want to go is usually very helpful. Sometimes it helps you get around a potential obstacle, surprise an opponent etc.

In the start it all matters. While at some point you are throwing more crap away then you pick up, in the beginning it all matters.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say worthless. I think most contents are often useful and worthwhile to pick.
For much of the game everything is useful. Particularly since they made junk collecting important in Fallout 4.

Yes, you don't need it to finish quests, but I just hated not knowing what's in there and that's why I said it will make you miserable if your skills aren't enough.

Plus picking doors to get where you want to go is usually very helpful. Sometimes it helps you get around a potential obstacle, surprise an opponent etc.

In the start it all matters. While at some point you are throwing more crap away then you pick up, in the beginning it all matters.
Agree with everything here.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good info gents! Thanks for sharing! :suds:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiot Savant is the best perk in the game, the lower the intelligence the more that pops. I have kept my intelligence at 4, so I can be a master hacker/Idiot Savant.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best things about the safes is the silver spoon or fork, lol.

Work on getting a Strong back perk asap, at level 30 you can fast travel with all the junk you are hauling around.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just got the Castle. I think I will move in. Perfect alcoves for organized storage and shopping. Close to down town. Lots of unexplored territory nearby.

So far, I still have my primary base as Santuary, but it is sooo far out of the way. I have utilized Hangman's Alley as my staging area because of the perfect location, but it is just too small. I keep all my companions there.

Advice?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiot Savant is the best perk in the game, the lower the intelligence the more that pops. I have kept my intelligence at 4, so I can be a master hacker/Idiot Savant.
I guess, but with no level cap, I don't really see the big picture reason to worry about it. You're going to get there anyway, with Idiot Savant, you just get there earlier.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the question, the stealth build kinda' makes your character pretty godlike. You run around in the shadows sniping or shooting at people with silenced weapons doing 3.5 damage with perks like 'Ninja' active. Even a modded out 10 mm pistol and you're putting down tough enemies.

If you're looking for a tougher challenge, the stealth build is a bit overpowered once you get up some levels. But if you want to kick ass and take names, good build.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the question, the stealth build kinda' makes your character pretty godlike. You run around in the shadows sniping or shooting at people with silenced weapons doing 3.5 damage with perks like 'Ninja' active. Even a modded out 10 mm pistol and you're putting down tough enemies.

If you're looking for a tougher challenge, the stealth build is a bit overpowered once you get up some levels. But if you want to kick ass and take names, good build.
I have also found that you can snipe-kill your enemies from far enough away that their bodies will not spawn and you dont get their loot. Sucks when you one-shot a legendary.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just got the Castle. I think I will move in. Perfect alcoves for organized storage and shopping. Close to down town. Lots of unexplored territory nearby.

So far, I still have my primary base as Santuary, but it is sooo far out of the way. I have utilized Hangman's Alley as my staging area because of the perfect location, but it is just too small. I keep all my companions there.

Advice?

I setup at the Red Rocket gas station outside of Sanctuary. Had a problem with Mutants and Raiders for a while until I set up 7 machine guns around the shop.

It's hard to move once you've setup roots.

I think if you follow a number of the quests you'll get pulled into areas that you hadn't considered. That's certainly one of the good things about this game.

But I still haven't actually found the Institute. By the time I do I may be able to walk in just wearing underwear and I'll win the battle.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bit the bullet and made the move.

I set up a very nice armor station and I am working on my weapon station now. I need to set up shopping and a garage still. I don't have Armor-1 yet, so I can't start on the garage until I get that, and I am currently adding all the crit perks, so I will not have that ability for a while.

I saw some images of people who have rebuilt the walls of the Castle. It looks real nice, but the wall placement in this game leaves a lot to be desired. Tedious as all hell.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a level 21 or so and the best gun I have is an automatic pipe pistol with explosive bullets. I never have enough supplies to do upgrades though...I've done it maybe 3-4 times and they were small modifications for weapons I rarely use.

Usually the locked doors/terminals are where the best loot is. I'm almost always running low on bullets and picking and hacking that stuff helps a lot.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd recommend at least one level of the scavenging perk. That will help with your ammo issues. And get the local leader perk as soon as you can afford it. Building scavenging stations at all your outposts and being able to share stuff between them makes your worries about modding raw materials a thing of the past.

Those don't seem like real valuable perks, but they actually are pretty great.