• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Draft Changes...Not Good

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, fair. I do however think their scouts have done their jobs since I was 18, they just have had GM’s who either seem to go with what other experts say or go against what those experts say instead of listening to their scouts. Obviously it is futile now but McNamara did say prior to the draft he thought Trout was the best offensive player in the draft.

That's true, it's a miss manage on both sides and that sums up the M's the last 20 yrs.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really seems weird there would be a draft this year anyway. It doesn’t seem really fair to the players or the franchises. How is a scout suppose to evaluate kids who haven’t played competitive ball games in months and how is it fair to the HS or college player who busted their ass off in the winter. I swear god (insert whatever) just hates the Mariners.

Well you have to figure that at least for the college guys if their seniors NC2A will give the option of a 5 year due to the crisis. So you could easily draft a guy first three rounds and he say's " Nah I'm going back to school for another year".

The High school kids are the ones that will get screwed the most, not drafted, and can't get a scholarship to go play for a school cause the school would have to honor scholarship kids returning for a 5th year.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you have to figure that at least for the college guys if their seniors NC2A will give the option of a 5 year due to the crisis. So you could easily draft a guy first three rounds and he say's " Nah I'm going back to school for another year".

The High school kids are the ones that will get screwed the most, not drafted, and can't get a scholarship to go play for a school cause the school would have to honor scholarship kids returning for a 5th year.....

I don’t disagree with the NCAA allowing them to come back, but it just really sucks for us as fans of the Mariners because Jerry has made it a point he likes drafting college kids over HS kids.

Obviously there is no right answer, it’s just weird to me they would make changes to the draft instead of either moving it until the winter after most players are back playing fall ball. And as you said, it puts HS players in a hell of a bind.

After thought though, college players are screwed too because we won’t know how college baseball will even be after this since baseball is a revenue loser and most universities are about to lose a crap load of revenue that subsidizes baseball programs with college football most likely not having fan revenue.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with the NCAA allowing them to come back, but it just really sucks for us as fans of the Mariners because Jerry has made it a point he likes drafting college kids over HS kids.

Obviously there is no right answer, it’s just weird to me they would make changes to the draft instead of either moving it until the winter after most players are back playing fall ball. And as you said, it puts HS players in a hell of a bind.

After thought though, college players are screwed too because we won’t know how college baseball will even be after this since baseball is a revenue loser and most universities are about to lose a crap load of revenue that subsidizes baseball programs with college football most likely not having fan revenue.

It does suck the M's only get 5 guys out of this years class, I mean the depth needed from this draft and next year will be huge for the restock. Personally I like the "college approach" in the draft cause the history of them drafting HS kids isn't that great, ( 2 players that actually made the team)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does suck the M's only get 5 guys out of this years class, I mean the depth needed from this draft and next year will be huge for the restock. Personally I like the "college approach" in the draft cause the history of them drafting HS kids isn't that great, ( 2 players that actually made the team)

I definitely won’t question someone’s feelings on college vs HS. Generally speaking IMO HS players have a much higher ceiling but lower floor. But the bust rate is much higher. But to be fair, the Mariners have sucked at drafting college players just as much as they have sucked at drafting HS players. Ackley, Hultzen and Zunino busting when the scouts really liked Trout (but I can’t fault them for not taking him 2) and Rendon really hurt the club the franchise.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely won’t question someone’s feelings on college vs HS. Generally speaking IMO HS players have a much higher ceiling but lower floor. But the bust rate is much higher. But to be fair, the Mariners have sucked at drafting college players just as much as they have sucked at drafting HS players. Ackley, Hultzen and Zunino busting when the scouts really liked Trout (but I can’t fault them for not taking him 2) and Rendon really hurt the club the franchise.

No the history is there to say they swung and missed on multiple players.
I find it hard that scouts don't have have more input on drafting players. I know its all a numbers game now a days but these scouts are out traveling and seeing these young guys live in action so why not listen to what these guys have seen instead of throwing numbers into a computer and letting the computer spit out who you should be drafting.

That movie "Trouble with the Curve" basically showed that this make up of not believing your scouting department hurts you. ( Holy shit I just admitted I watched a chick flick)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does suck the M's only get 5 guys out of this years class

Just to correct something small, M's actually have 7 picks. Your point is still dead on, but we do have a couple extra picks. Maybe they can buy one or two more or just roll the dice on UDFA's.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to correct something small, M's actually have 7 picks. Your point is still dead on, but we do have a couple extra picks. Maybe they can buy one or two more or just roll the dice on UDFA's.

I forgot to take my shoe off for the other two picks.....my bad

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the history is there to say they swung and missed on multiple players.
I find it hard that scouts don't have have more input on drafting players. I know its all a numbers game now a days but these scouts are out traveling and seeing these young guys live in action so why not listen to what these guys have seen instead of throwing numbers into a computer and letting the computer spit out who you should be drafting.

That movie "Trouble with the Curve" basically showed that this make up of not believing your scouting department hurts you. ( Holy shit I just admitted I watched a chick flick)

It’s a Clint Eastwood movie, it ain’t no chick flick. And that is kind of what is going on in baseball. Combine money ball and Trouble with the Curve and it is old school vs new school and for reason in baseball the two sides hate each other and can’t find common ground IMO. Scouts can admit there is another way about and analytic people can’t admit that you shouldn’t play the entire baseball season on a computer at an Ivy League school.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a Clint Eastwood movie, it ain’t no chick flick. And that is kind of what is going on in baseball. Combine money ball and Trouble with the Curve and it is old school vs new school and for reason in baseball the two sides hate each other and can’t find common ground IMO. Scouts can admit there is another way about and analytic people can’t admit that you shouldn’t play the entire baseball season on a computer at an Ivy League school.

thanks for clarification on the chick flick cause I can watch Amy Adams movies all day long!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for clarification on the chick flick cause I can watch Amy Adams movies all day long!

Any sports movie that is a Clint Eastwood movie starring a hot chick I would get a hall pass from my wife cannot be considered a chick flick IMO.