1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Draft Changes...Not Good

Discussion in 'Seattle Mariners' started by NWinAZ, Mar 26, 2020.

1. NWinAZ

NWinAZ There Is Always Next Year...

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  2. SeattleCoug

SeattleCoug Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yea it already stinks enough from an experience standpoint for the younger guys to miss likely at least half a year of seasoning but yeah of course the year they are finally bad enough to get a top pick

• Like Like x 1
  3. Duders

Duders IDK - IDC - IDGAF

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Well this just sucks!! It seems like the M's can never catch a break. This Virus situation has made a mess out of just about everything. It seems to be consuming all our time and is effecting just about everything in our everyday life. Wish we knew how long this will go on for. :noidea: But someday, the Sun will shine again and things will slowly come back to "normal".....whatever that is. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. NWinAZ

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

The thing to me is how can a shutdown effect the draft as far as rounds go? I know they are using that excuse, but I believe they are using this tragedy to promote their agenda of squashing the minor leagues which started before the virus was around. This will backfire against baseball if it continues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Duders

Duders IDK - IDC - IDGAF

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

And I totally agree with you about the minor league BS they are pushing. Word will get out no doubt and it will blow up in their face.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Cloud

Cloud Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I had no idea they're trying to squash the minor league. what's up with that?

7. wazzu31

wazzu31 I am probably drunk

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Sure, but the counter to that is it protects the owners from blindly making picks that are generally reserved for lower level college players who have good seasons and HS players who realistically won’t probably sign. Truth be told, I think it is better for everyone involved if they cut the rounds down. It is better for college players and teams to hold open tryouts over scouting lower level college players and HS players who aren’t top prospects. But this is a bias POV as I care about the name on the front of the jersey.

8. NWinAZ

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

In my opinion, it all started when Congress looked into complaints about how minor leaguers were making less than minimum wage and there was a battle looming to get them decent money to live on. Those kids in lower minors were living with families and sharing meals to survive. After that came out, baseball owners decided to just gut the systems. I think it was more about power than money for these billionaires.

Starting pay for minor leaguers is between $1,100 and $2,150 a month, and only during the season, which can be as short as three months. “The average baseball fan knows that minor leaguers aren't getting rich,” Broshuis says. “But I think the average baseballfan is shocked to know what the salaries actually are.”

Good read:

Major League Baseball to raise minor league salaries in 2021

9. Cloud

Cloud Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Thanks for the info brother. Good read.

But going back to your post about reducing the draft rounds, why would the players and assuming the MLBPA as well approve of this? Are they afraid the minor leaguers are going to steal their salary? I would assume the players and MLBPA would side against reducing the rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NWinAZ

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

That is a great question and one I am still scratching my head over. MLBPA must have gotten something they really wanted in order to make the deal. The other thing that fascinates me on this is that minor leaguers aren't represented by MLBPA as I understand it and have their own union. So a non-representative makes a huge impact on their futures? How is that even legal?

The other thing that just make sense is that MLB complains every year that kids in the USA are looking at other pro athletic careers over baseball and that has been going on for a decade now. This will only push them to play other sports even more now with the odds of making the pros decreasing because lack of farm clubs. Just look at what the QB for AZ did and turn pro in football after already being a minor leaguer in baseball with the A's. Not good.

And you are welcome.

• Like Like x 1