• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

possible bad news for Donald fans

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I disagree with your general feeling about Donald, I 100% agree that trading up for him would be a mistake. Just too many good players to worry about one guy.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I disagree with your general feeling about Donald, I 100% agree that trading up for him would be a mistake. Just too many good players to worry about one guy.

Let me ask you one question. Before the mock drafts moved him up was he your 2nd rd pick or did you have someone else even if he was on the board. I know some were passing on him 6 weeks ago. Just not 100% sure all those some are. I don't want to wrongly accuse anyone.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team takes a step backwards if it bypasses better players just to draft a DT or end based on need. There are no elite safties,defensive lineman available at 16.

Are you serious? No elite safties, defensive lineman at 16?

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I wanted Donald bar-none until we signed Melton. Now, I don't see the payoff in making Donald our #1. To take our two biggest bullets and fire them at the same hole makes little sence to me. Plus, why would we structure Melton's contract the way we did if we didn't think we could get a potential starting DT for a few years. Even throwing our second rounder at a 3tech doesn't make sence unless we know he could man the nose too (which I don't think is Donald). In the case Melton gets injured, you make a provision for a backup plan. I would not draft my backup plan with a first or second rounder. I think it is more likely we take a DE, S, or OLB than a DT in round 1. I think there is plenty of depth in this draft at WR, RT and G that we don't need to take one at #1. I worry about Jerry taking BPA b/c that could include a QB. The likelyhood of us trading back seems to be getting lower each day as the reports of QB-needy teams that may pass on QB grows.
My gut says we take Barr or Shazier at 16 or trade down and take a DE like Ealy, Crichton or Lawrence. After that, I see a safety like Ward in the second, followed by an upside/injured guy like Dominique Easly. From there, Jerry could go one of a hundred ways, but I think he lands a RT early on day three.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded: Totally agree IF that is what they do. Picking for need alone usually gets you an inferior player. The draft is what builds your team for 10 years. You cannot just look at the year one impact. Well, a fan can, but a team cannot unless their GM is a guy like you know who. BUT,,,why can't the best player be a DT or DE? Jsut because we take one doesn't mean it was a reach based on how our scouts have graded the guys.

The underlined: Completely disagree with the notion that there are no DL or Safeties worthy of that pick. Even if you want to assume they all go before we pick, then it just pushes down a different player who likely should have gone higher. Only 15 guys can go before us. Assuming a couple QBs go I think we have a lot of talent to choose from. I would say there are easily 16 guys I like in the first round and that is ignoring QB.

Agree there will be a player for us at 16 that can help this team now.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why that matters. When this discussion started we still had Ware and there was talk of Hatcher possibly returning. The picture was different 6 weeks ago. The picks weren't made 6 weeks ago, they are made 3 weeks from now. All that matters is what you think as of that date. This time last year Bridgewater was a lock to be the top pick. That doesn't mean Houston will take him. Sometimes it takes a while to sift through all the info and make a decision. The worst thing you can do is dig in your heels and stand by an opinion just because you thought it a while back.

But, to answer your question, neither. I said from the beginning there is no way he would be there in the second round so I never considered him there. I saw him as a mid to late 1st. He was not my number one pick then and he still isn't today to be honest. My hope is a guy like Lewan or Barr drops, but unless someone unexpected drops I prefer safety if it's my call and have all along. My guy was Dix from the beginning. My concern is that the team doesn't have Dix ranked high enough to take and I don't really like Pryor or Ward enough to take there. I know a lot love Pryor, but I don't. I'd be OK with him, but there are probably 20 plus guys I like more. Most importantly, my gut tells me they aren't going safety at #16. I am starting to like Ward more and more each day and am starting to like some of the late safeties a little better than I did originally. That is one of the reasons I don't want to see them force the first round pick if they don't have the guy ranked as the best player. If they see Dix as the center fielder that I see, then I really want to take him. But, if we get Ward in the 2nd and a DL in the first I think that could help our team.

Like I've been saying there are probably 20 guys I'd be happy with including Crichton and some others that are looked at by most as mid 2nd rounders. I try not to get hung up on where a player SHOULD go. I think that is more for mocks and the such. My biggest concern when talking about a "reach" is who else is there. People lock in on a player based on these mocks and the real draft never goes that way. I won't know for sure who I want until team #15 picks. That is one of the reasons why I always say that it's premature to talk about trading back (or up). How can you possibly know in April that trading back is good when you don't know who is or isn't available. Above all, I am more in the BPA camp than most. I don't have a problem going DT, DT back to back and I don't have a problem going OT, S in the first two rounds either. With some exceptions (like QB and TE for us) If you always take the best player available you can find a way to get them on the field. The draft is about the next 10 years, not this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Yes, Donald is one of the many guys I would be very happy with at #16

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I wanted Donald bar-none until we signed Melton. Now, I don't see the payoff in making Donald our #1. To take our two biggest bullets and fire them at the same hole makes little sence to me. Plus, why would we structure Melton's contract the way we did if we didn't think we could get a potential starting DT for a few years.

I think this is off a little. We structured it that way BECAUSE we weren't sure. Whether because of talent, off the field concerns or injury ( my guess is injury) we clearly structured the contract the way we did in case he wasn't the player we hope he is. We can cut him after this year with no penalty. Also, the way his contract is structured is a reason why we shouldn't be concerned about using a first round pick (or our two biggest bullets) on a 3 tech. If we draft Donald and he turns out to be great we can cut Melton and use the money he was going to cost us in 2015 on something else.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is off a little. We structured it that way BECAUSE we weren't sure. Whether because of talent, off the field concerns or injury ( my guess is injury) we clearly structured the contract the way we did in case he wasn't the player we hope he is. We can cut him after this year with no penalty. Also, the way his contract is structured is a reason why we shouldn't be concerned about using a first round pick (or our two biggest bullets) on a 3 tech. If we draft Donald and he turns out to be great we can cut Melton and use the money he was going to cost us in 2015 on something else.
not only that, but I bet all the DL will line up in other spots than just the designated spot. What if on a passing down they are both in the game. & we always try & put fresh players in, so to have Donald & melton & have them both succeed would be awesome. I am never against depth on the DL.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In the case Melton gets injured, you make a provision for a backup plan. I would not draft my backup plan with a first or second rounder. I think it is more likely we take a DE, S, or OLB than a DT in round 1"

:agree:....if it's LB, Shazier needs to be the pick. Solid LB with instant game.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my 1st hope is still that the cowboys still have a good 4+ players they really want when 16 comes around & they trade back some & still get one of their guys. We have a ton of directions we could go now.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my 1st hope is still that the cowboys still have a good 4+ players they really want when 16 comes around & they trade back some & still get one of their guys. We have a ton of directions we could go now.

I don't like trading back when a player you need is staring you in face. You make the pick. Don't be cute see Stephen Jackson.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was not referring to the first year of Melton's deal. The 3 year extention is good for us if Melton returns to form, as we only have to give out 9 mill in garanteed money. That part was not structured for an injured guy, but for the team as we took a chance and it payed off. If he gets reinjured, he's not on this team period. What he is or isn't in 2014 remains to be seen, but Jerry won't use a first rounder that only sees the field as a rotational player by design. So unless Rod's design is to have Melton take a backseat and play more at the nose, then I think its a bad idea to shoot for Donald. My 2 cents.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In the case Melton gets injured, you make a provision for a backup plan. I would not draft my backup plan with a first or second rounder. I think it is more likely we take a DE, S, or OLB than a DT in round 1"

:agree:....if it's LB, Shazier needs to be the pick. Solid LB with instant game.

That is my view as well. He is a faster version of Lavonte David. David somehow fell to the latter part of round 2. I don't expect teams to be caught sleeping this time around. Shazier will go in the first, just not sure how high.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like trading back when a player you need is staring you in face. You make the pick. Don't be cute see Stephen Jackson.

I agree if there is that one player we want staring us in the face, but if there are 4+ players all with similar grades to me isn't the same scenario as the "guy" you want being there.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree if there is that one player we want staring us in the face, but if there are 4+ players all with similar grades to me isn't the same scenario as the "guy" you want being there.

But if you trade back and those other guys are now gone what do you do? See 2009 draft. Make the pick.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hated that shit but that trade gave us ware so it was a trade off

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that get us ware? Our record got us Ware. That got us Marcus Spears LOL

If you research it Parcells wanted Spears to be the first pick. The Scouts and Jerry convinced him that Ware was the better player and Spears would be available at 20 and if we passed on Ware he would be gone the next pick.

Also some Merriman hype in there also

But your correct the record gave us Ware at 11

That's what happens when you are posting and have drank several cold ones :)

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you research it Parcells wanted Spears to be the first pick. The Scouts and Jerry convinced him that Ware was the better player and Spears would be available at 20 and if we passed on Ware he would be gone the next pick.

Also some Merriman hype in there also

But your correct the record gave us Ware at 11

That's what happens when you are posting and have drank several cold ones :)
:laugh3: Good one. As we get closer to the draft, I am starting to get ill thinking about jerry in the draft room.