• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Portland offers Enes Kanter 4 year $70 million max offer

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that should be interesting. OKC has 3 days to match the offer and is expected to do so.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, if OKC let this guy go then there's no chance for them to beat Warriors, Spurs, or Clips.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC is screwed.

Either they match a ridiculous soul crushing contract that makes them look silly in James Harden, retrospect.

Or, they simply let him go and have no options whatsoever.

There is no solution, unless some big man falls from the sky.

I would take my chances and let him walk.....as risky as that seems. it is the better of the two choices.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC may eventually have to blow it all up and rebuild if and when Durant and Westbrook leave.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand, I can't see how Enes Kanter is worth a max contract. On the other hand, as of next year, it won't be a max contract anymore. So, it could end up looking okay.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree Lakers+USC. These salaries that blur the lines of distinction at least from a CBA contractual context are becoming commonplace and I predict will eventually kill the golden goose in the NBA.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say the Thunder need to keep him. He is only 23 years old and will continue to get better. OKC made the finals with Kenrick Perkins at center. Kanter could be the key piece to put them over the top.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC made the finals with Kenrick Perkins at center

OKC made the finals with a young JAMES HARDEN.

Unless, Harden is walking in the door.....OKC is probably better off not overpaying for a 2nd tier guy like Kanter.

They could probably find a bargain basement center and save the money.

OKC wins 55 games with or without Kanter.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is one of the worst defensive players above 6'11" in the history of the NBA. Definitely worth a max contract :L

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One argument against going for Kanter...

Check out the Jazz defense before all-star (with Kanter)...
zIRy17p.png

And after all-star (without Kanter)...
Frq6ZAJ.png

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good contract for OKC knowing full well where the cap is going.

A guy like Kanter in two years is going to cost a team 4 years $120M+.

That is why Portland took the time to draw up a contract that they know OKC would likely match. Just in case OKC goes crazy and doesn't match, they wanted to be the ones who got the bargain of the deal long term.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team offering Kanter that much money needs to make some front office changes. Kanter is eddy curry in the sense that he will never be worth anything on defense.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah his defense can improve but you can't ignore his instant offense. The pick and roll he and Russell were working at the end of the season was awesome. The Thunder have Ibaka and Adams to back him up on the defensive side.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a great player, but wow...$70M? That's crazy. I can see him being worth it in the long run if he's put in the right situation with the right players and coach, though. Just seems like a ridiculous amount at this time. It'll be interesting to see if OKC feels the same way as I, and many of you do.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he is overpaid but 80 % of the league is. This was a must move for OKC, and a luxury they could do because they have Adams at C also. OKC showing they will spend money and this is just the start. Just wait this next offseason.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One argument against going for Kanter...

Check out the Jazz defense before all-star (with Kanter)...
zIRy17p.png

And after all-star (without Kanter)...
Frq6ZAJ.png

Well, in his defense, Gobert is pretty damn good defensively.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a great player, but wow...$70M? That's crazy. I can see him being worth it in the long run if he's put in the right situation with the right players and coach, though. Just seems like a ridiculous amount at this time. It'll be interesting to see if OKC feels the same way as I, and many of you do.

A little overpaid, but in this year, OKC has to show Durant that they're going to spend into the luxury tax and are committed to winning. Obviously the Harden thing bit them in the ass, they needed to hold onto a skilled offensive big man that could compliment Westbrook, Ibaka, and Durant.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Sports article that shows exactly why this match was a bad move:

The Oklahoma City Thunder has been debating whether to match the Portland Trail Blazers' $70 million max offer for center Enes Kanter, and now they have their guy. On Sunday, the Thunder announced they would match the offer sheet and retain Kanter.

Kanter's become somewhat divisive in that he's offensively brilliant and averaged 19 points and 9 rebounds in limited games with OKC last year, and yet is an absolute defensive sieve on a team that already has two of the best scoring threats in the league in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. After trading Reggie Jackson in a three-way deal for Kanter last year, however, OKC felt compelled to keep the Turkish sensation. His cap number under the current structure will look much less restrictive in the coming seasons as the salary cap increases and the idea was clearly to show that OKC is willing to pay to keep its talent.

You know, like they didn't with James Harden who became an MVP candidate and showed significantly better defensive principles with OKC than Kanter has, at a position that is less important defensively than Kanter is as a big man.

If you consider post scoring to be vital to Oklahoma City's success, for some reason, then the deal is fine, Kanter's young, has upside, could theoretically improve defensively and they surrendered assets for him. If you think Kanter is a league-wide horrific defensive presence and that post scoring on the Thunder is like putting tinted windows and a spoiler on an F-22 Raptor stealth fighter, then this was a drastic overpay for a team that still has Steven Adams and Mitch McGary.

Did I mention that Kanter had attitude problems in Utah, as well?

The money really doesn't matter here. OKC would have had no room to sign anyone this summer if they let Kanter go, and keeping him doesn't restrict their ability going forward. They can still pursue their plans, and if Kanter improves defensively, he gives an offense often criticized for being mundane and predictable a different, if outdated, new dimension.

With Kanter on the floor last season, the Thunder were outscored by 1.3 points per 100 possessions. With him on the bench, they outscored opponents by 2.3. When Kanter played, they gave up an unbelievable 109.9 points per 100 possessions defensively. When Serge Ibaka and Kanter played together, OKC surrendered 108.4 points per 100 possessions in the 11 games they played together, compared to the 103.2 points per 100 possessions they gave up with Ibaka on the floor and Kanter off.

But hey, at least they can say they kept their guy.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a not a 18/11 guy.

He got those numbers with a depleted OKC squad without Durant.
Once Durant comes back, he is not getting that many touches and shots.

He will be more like a 13/7 guy with that crowed frontcourt.
And now he will force the Thunder to overpay for Ibaka and Adams in two years.

was no easy solution as OKC seems in a desparate spot....with the Durant free agency looming.
I am not sure why Portland bent them over and did this knowing full well OKC had no choice to match.

Maybe, Portland wants to make a run at Durant? I have no idea. It just seemed spiteful.
They backed OKC into a horrible spot overpaying for a player.