• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Police want to speak with La'el Collins

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tomlinson was available in round 2, they would have. BPA right? :pissed:

Cant see him getting to the end of round 2 based on all the info that came out after the draft. Other teams even still in the first round had him on their list.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't let this one die out. No more on not pursuing him as an UDFA, that's been covered and Millenhew is an idiot, now on to why we didn't draft him in the first place. That involves the incompetence of the other half of The Clown Show.

Everyone wants to say that Collins would have held out if we spent a late rd pick on him, that's ridiculous. He would never have been advised to sit out an entire year and then reenter the draft. It would absolutely have hurt his draft stock and the financial side of it just wouldn't make sense.

Even if Collins was the first pick in the 2nd round of the 2016 draft, and that might be optimistic given a year away from the game, he would be signing roughly a 4yr /$5.5m deal with about $3.3m guaranteed. But he gets none of that for an entire year and cant hold out for a new deal until after 3 years of that deal would have passed. So it takes him 4 years to be able to potentially get a big payday, during which time he would have been paid about $4m.

If we spent our 7th rd pick on him his deal is more like 4 years $2.2m. Not that much of a signing bonus but I know of no rule that says the Lions couldn't guarantee that entire contract, which would be huge in narrowing the gap of why waiting another year is the best option. After 3 years of a 7th rd contract he would have been paid roughly $1.5m and be eligible to hold out for a new deal.

With the chance to get a big payday a full year earlier and a fully guaranteed contract that would make for a very attractive offer that IMO believe he and his agent would have taken. While you can say that 31 other teams also didn't elect to go that route I don't care, I'm talking about the Lions and less than a week later almost every team in the NFL was trying to sign him. So that thought as an arguing point is completely moot.

Their jobs are about evaluating risk vs reward, to be successful that also requires the vision to see more than just whats immediately in front of you. The two restructurings of Suh's contract is precisely what I mean by that. The Clown Show has NONE of those skills, absolutely NONE.

LewanDUI is supposed to advise Millenhew that from a numbers perspective he believed Collins would sign and not go back into the draft. With that knowledge Millenhew has to decide whether its then worth risking that draft pick in the event it doesn't happen that way.

Raise your hand if you think that based on the way I just explained that you truly think The Clown Show knows what its doing and wouldn't have risk that 7th rd pick? Why not take the extremely low risk of potentially wasting a 7th rd pick for a 1st rd talent while still protecting the image of the franchise by simply not actually letting him sign the contract or take part in anything Lions before his name was cleared? It's that simple and these bozos just don't get it.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, didn't realize it was that long. sorry.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last big time player to do that was Bo Jackson and he went 1st overall. Then the following year went 193rd.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hand raised. Here's why. I doubt he would have signed. I don't think that was a bluff. He would have sat out and been a high pick next year. Now if the question is should they have taken him in the 3rd round...I'd say probably, maybe. They did not have the time to give him the same lie detector test the Cowgirls gave him.

It would have been a risk for sure at that time. I have this feeling had he took him, you Dr evil would have been criticizing him for it.

All that being said...pre-draft mumbo jumbo is just that. Collins could be Jason Smith all over again. I will not fault him for playing it safe.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last big time player to do that was Bo Jackson and he went 1st overall. Then the following year went 193rd.
The Bucks sucked so bad he refused to play lol. That was a completely different situation, had he not been a baseball star it would have more likely played out like Eli Manning's crying for a trade. He probably has Bo to thank for that.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't let this one die out. No more on not pursuing him as an UDFA, that's been covered and Millenhew is an idiot, now on to why we didn't draft him in the first place. That involves the incompetence of the other half of The Clown Show.

Everyone wants to say that Collins would have held out if we spent a late rd pick on him, that's ridiculous. He would never have been advised to sit out an entire year and then reenter the draft. It would absolutely have hurt his draft stock and the financial side of it just wouldn't make sense.

Even if Collins was the first pick in the 2nd round of the 2016 draft, and that might be optimistic given a year away from the game, he would be signing roughly a 4yr /$5.5m deal with about $3.3m guaranteed. But he gets none of that for an entire year and cant hold out for a new deal until after 3 years of that deal would have passed. So it takes him 4 years to be able to potentially get a big payday, during which time he would have been paid about $4m.

If we spent our 7th rd pick on him his deal is more like 4 years $2.2m. Not that much of a signing bonus but I know of no rule that says the Lions couldn't guarantee that entire contract, which would be huge in narrowing the gap of why waiting another year is the best option. After 3 years of a 7th rd contract he would have been paid roughly $1.5m and be eligible to hold out for a new deal.

With the chance to get a big payday a full year earlier and a fully guaranteed contract that would make for a very attractive offer that IMO believe he and his agent would have taken. While you can say that 31 other teams also didn't elect to go that route I don't care, I'm talking about the Lions and less than a week later almost every team in the NFL was trying to sign him. So that thought as an arguing point is completely moot.

Their jobs are about evaluating risk vs reward, to be successful that also requires the vision to see more than just whats immediately in front of you. The two restructurings of Suh's contract is precisely what I mean by that. The Clown Show has NONE of those skills, absolutely NONE.

LewanDUI is supposed to advise Millenhew that from a numbers perspective he believed Collins would sign and not go back into the draft. With that knowledge Millenhew has to decide whether its then worth risking that draft pick in the event it doesn't happen that way.

Raise your hand if you think that based on the way I just explained that you truly think The Clown Show knows what its doing and wouldn't have risk that 7th rd pick? Why not take the extremely low risk of potentially wasting a 7th rd pick for a 1st rd talent while still protecting the image of the franchise by simply not actually letting him sign the contract or take part in anything Lions before his name was cleared? It's that simple and these bozos just don't get it.

So why didnt any of the other 31 teams do it either?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions had it all locked up and decided to pass. Worried about going to trial. You guys need to listen to XM radio more often. Not everything is on ESPN and Twitter.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why didnt any of the other 31 teams do it either?
I know it was a very long post but I addressed that.

31 other teams passed during the draft and then 27 were calling a week later. Anyone with any vision at all would have known the entire NFL was going to be after him as soon as he cleared his name.

How many teams would you prefer to compete against, 31 or zero? Draft him and you hold his rights for a year. Pass and you compete against 31 other teams. Not a difficult decision.

The numbers were easy to understand and present in such a way that Collins and his agent would easily see. In fact, I'm betting they wanted to go undrafted but also were well aware of the risks of sitting out an entire year. It just wasn't going to happen.

I call them The Clown Show because they are a couple of bozos. Lots of talk about how nobody seems to be on the same page in Allen Park and this an excellent example of why.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bucks sucked so bad he refused to play lol. That was a completely different situation, had he not been a baseball star it would have more likely played out like Eli Manning's crying for a trade. He probably has Bo to thank for that.
The Bucs sucking had nothing to do with it. He would have signed with them.....

But......

Tampa ended his baseball career at Auburn by making him ineligible. They flew him from Bama to Tampa for some meeting, then reported it to the NCAA so he'd be focused on football. (Knowing he wanted to continue playing baseball.)Instead he was crushed (the dude broke down on the field when his baseball coach gave him the awful news that he couldn't play anymore.)and refused to play for dishonest fuckwads.

Bo knows morals.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bucs sucking had nothing to do with it. He would have signed with them.....

But......

Tampa ended his baseball career at Auburn by making him ineligible. They flew him from Bama to Tampa for some meeting, then reported it to the NCAA so he'd be focused on football. (Knowing he wanted to continue playing baseball.)Instead he was crushed (the dude broke down on the field when his baseball coach gave him the awful news that he couldn't play anymore.)and refused to play for dishonest fuckwads.

Bo knows morals.

That is 100% correct Smitty. At least somebody else knew of the real story.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant see him getting to the end of round 2 based on all the info that came out after the draft. Other teams even still in the first round had him on their list.

End of round 2..... Funny, I didn't notice us winning the super bowl last year.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have this feeling had he took him, you Dr evil would have been criticizing him for it.

Nope, I understood passing on him the first two days if the team wasn't able to get more information on his situation. Once it was day 3 the reward far outweighed the risk and was screaming for him to be picked.

It is sooooo far beyond comical to see people defend Millenhew for using a 4th and 5th rd pick to acquire Ngata, with the reasoning being that you don't get any value from those picks anyway, and then try to defend him again that having used one of those no value picks on a 1st rd talent was also the right thing to do.

I don't think that was a bluff. He would have sat out and been a high pick next year

My post assumed him to be the #33 pick in 2016, which might be too optimistic after not playing at all for a year. If you took him in the 7th and guaranteed the entire contract the difference is only about $1m in guaranteed $ "IF" he was even drafted that high(#33) and he would have to wait another year longer to reach FA. If we drafted him in the 5th or 6th then that $1m in guaranteed money difference becomes even less. He signs to play now rather than waits a year. LewanDUI should have known that and explained to Millenhow how the business end of the game could land them a huge value on the personnel side of the game.

If The Clown Show had a clue how to do their jobs they would have seen this was a risk absolutely worth taking. Instead, they showed yet again how totally clueless they are, and yet somehow are inexplicably defended on this board.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I understood passing on him the first two days if the team wasn't able to get more information on his situation. Once it was day 3 the reward far outweighed the risk and was screaming for him to be picked.

It is sooooo far beyond comical to see people defend Millenhew for using a 4th and 5th rd pick to acquire Ngata, with the reasoning being that you don't get any value from those picks anyway, and then try to defend him again that having used one of those no value picks on a 1st rd talent was also the right thing to do.

My post assumed him to be the #33 pick in 2016, which might be too optimistic after not playing at all for a year. If you took him in the 7th and guaranteed the entire contract the difference is only about $1m in guaranteed $ "IF" he was even drafted that high(#33) and he would have to wait another year longer to reach FA. If we drafted him in the 5th or 6th then that $1m in guaranteed money difference becomes even less. He signs to play now rather than waits a year. LewanDUI should have known that and explained to Millenhow how the business end of the game could land them a huge value on the personnel side of the game.

If The Clown Show had a clue how to do their jobs they would have seen this was a risk absolutely worth taking. Instead, they showed yet again how totally clueless they are, and yet somehow are inexplicably defended on this board.

But...he's just La'el Collins. He might suck...bad.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? Because he's not a Lion?

He went to a team who already has the best O line in the league (and they don't even have Ravioli!). He'll be fine.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might, and so might LT. He might also be a Pro Bowler. I don't understand what you are trying to say?

In simple terms we should absolutely have drafted him because everything lines up to make it a very good risk to take. Even after The Clown Show screwed that up it appears we had every opportunity to sign him as an UDFA (even without making an extra effort), instead we chose to pass and didn't pursue him at all.

These are painfully obvious examples of why we have the worst front office in the league, and the worst ownership in the league for being so stupid as to not recognize the incompetance of the idiots running their team.

A horrible front office and an owner that doesn't care is what gets you one playoff victory in 25 years. Lions have been the joke of the league for a long time and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still pissed off we didn't draft Drew Brees.

Stupid MM ruined that weekend for me. I'm gonna have to start getting it off my chest here soon.