• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Points of Emphasis

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, the referees have points of emphasis that the league wants addressed. We've seen what happens. These points of emphasis get called lots during the preseason and tails off through the regular season. Last year we had flopping. The year before that we had technicals for complaining too much. What I've seen so far based on three Lakers preseason games is that the following are this season's points of emphasis:

1. Illegal Screens - There have been a lot of whistles so far for illegal screens. I think there was one sequence Sunday night where illegal screens were called on three straight possessions. The refs have really been making sure that the screener establishes and keeps his position on the screen. They seem to want to cut down on players sliding in and out, or you know, call it like the rules already state. The ball-handler will need to be more aware of the screeners action. A lot of times illegal screens are called because the ball-handler goes to use the pick too early not giving the screener the opportunity to establish position.

2. Travelling - I've seen a lot of travelling calls made that haven't been made for a long time. The refs have been really cognizant of which foot the player establishes as his pivot foot after catching a pass. No more taking an extra step to better position yourself for that next action. The refs have also been calling players for taking an extra step before putting the ball down on the dribble. I even saw some Euro/crab-step travelling calls. I hope they keep this up during the regular season. It's egregious how bad the NBA has allowed traveling to get. Players routinely get to the rim after picking up their dribble at the top of the key. That's a long ways to go without travelling.

I've only watched Lakers games so far this preseason. You guys seeing this, or any other points of emphasis, in other games?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you aware of the rule this year where players can't touch the ball after a made basket?
It was called in the Heat game the other night.
I'm not talking the hit the ball away, delay of game call.
I'm talking the natural reaction of just tapping the ball to the ref or opposing player.

It resulted in a technical foul shot.

Can you imagine a tie game decided in the last seconds because a player innocently touches a ball after a made basket?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you aware of the rule this year where players can't touch the ball after a made basket?
I'm talking the natural reaction of just tapping the ball to the ref or opposing player.

Can you imagine a tie game decided in the last seconds because a player innocently touches a ball after a made basket?

Yeah, I remember now in yesterday's game that they called a T on Denver for doing that. I think it was Faried who grabbed the ball after Denver made a basket and threw it to the referee. This will be interesting one. A lot of times an offensive player may make incidental contact with the ball after a basket.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't thought about it prior to watching some games but while watching I said "moving screens must be a point of emphasis"... They are taking things too for...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are doing the right thing.

Make it fair and just for everyone. I can't tell you how annoying it was watching the refs fix games last year calling shit that either never gets called or stuff that did not exist.

By being stricter across the board minimizing this is going to make it a little tougher for those type of actions.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are doing the right thing.

Make it fair and just for everyone. I can't tell you how annoying it was watching the refs fix games last year calling shit that either never gets called or stuff that did not exist.

By being stricter across the board minimizing this is going to make it a little tougher for those type of actions.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the refs fixed any games last season. They can certainly influence a game in one direction or another, but players ultimately still have to make the plays.

The refs just need to call the rules like they are already in the rule books. Things like moving screens and traveling are already in there.

I thought this thread might get a little more action. I guess the only way to do that is to say Lebron or Kobe sucks :lol:.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go as far as saying the refs fixed any games last season. They can certainly influence a game in one direction or another, but players ultimately still have to make the plays.

The refs just need to call the rules like they are already in the rule books. Things like moving screens and traveling are already in there.

I thought this thread might get a little more action. I guess the only way to do that is to say Lebron or Kobe sucks :lol:.

Lebron sucks!!! :sadbron:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried starting a thread about the Rockets, that got a lot of hits once somebody brought up dwight leaving LA

:doh:

:rollseyes:

:lol:

:suds:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm following the game through Heat beat writers tweet and they called a T on Detroit for doing this

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm following the game through Heat beat writers tweet and they called a T on Detroit for doing this
I was at the game and was really confused when they called delay of game. I think Wade airballed the FT :lol:.

I agree about the refs calling travel calls. I saw a lot of the travel calls that weren't especially obvious when players (especially Kyle Singler) were catching the pass.

I'm not sure about the illegal screens but I've only seen the Heat vs Pistons in person and all the screens looked clean.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a messed-up bit of rule making.

Punishing a player who's trying to help the ref rather than complain about a debatable call????:wtf2: