• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff format question

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, they added a 2nd wildcards team- for a 1 game playoff. I despised the format, sending best seeds to start on the road, but there were statements its going to change.

My question is this- previous format was 3 division winners and the next best record got the wildcard, wildcards supposed to play best record team, but couldn't start playoffs against the team from their division.

Can both wildcard teams come from the same division ?

Right now the Cards, Pirates and Reds are easily among the 5 best records in the NL, but all in the same division.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can find is that the "top two teams that did not win their division" will be wild-cards.
I have a hunch that the brain-challenged Selig never considered that it might be two teams from the same division. As of now, the odds aren't that great that it won't happen.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of these days, Selig or his descendants may forge a MLB with 6 divisions, and a couple if "independent" at large teams that always make the playoffs under that rule...im sure the Yankees would be a first choice for Selig.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of these days, Selig or his descendants may forge a MLB with 6 divisions, and a couple if "independent" at large teams that always make the playoffs under that rule...im sure the Yankees would be a first choice for Selig.

The Japan championship team is an automatic for this.
Maybe after we decide to grow up about Cuba, we can get them to play.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I've seen on this year's playoff format said the two teams with the best records among non-divisional winners would be the wild card teams. The winner of the one game playoff is the #4 seed and plays the #1 seed determined by record regardless of the division of either team.

Last I heard the format was going to be 2-2-1 this season in the divisional round.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes for a nice conversation but in order for it to work ... well, never mind.
I see the Pirates hammered on a rookie tonight. Lucky for the Reds, we won't face the guy for awhile.