• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playing Head Coach: Denver at Detroit

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows the Lions have a difficult game Sunday night versus the Broncos and I'm assuming everyone has their own opinion about what it will take to beat them. Maybe this is stupid but I want to try something new here to try and get some solid football discussion here.

What do the Lions need to do offensively and defensively to beat Denver? How would you attack their offense and defend theirs?

What do you expect to see as far as game plans from both teams?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will probably get crickets. Mostly fire Mayhew or bring back Suh from Miami bullcrap.

I will have to go back and read what happened in Denvers games and get back later.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. I'm trying though. I expect to see those types of things.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions offense has proven to be inconsistent unless their in up-tempo just like last year and the year before. I'm giving solid football discussion by calling the Lions Offense sandbaggers!! The Lions defense has some missing pieces due to injuries or a ploy on just how bad Suh is missed and it's one of those things where the Offense has to out score their Defense.

The patsy Lions half ass slow motion Offense is no match for the Broncos Defense!! What Peyton Manning will bring against the Lions Defense is well, Peyton Manning.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm steering clear of the pointless threads about who is in the others head, etc. -- But this is actual question regarding football and the Lions.

Defense -- Pressure Manning, early and often. The OL for Denver has been atrocious this year, though once Kubiak scrapped his offense to let Manning run the hurry up last week -- Denver really started moving the ball. If Denver goes back to playing out of the shotgun, with Peyton calling plays at the line of scrimmage. It could be a long game. Best hope -- Kubiak goes back to his conversative play calling.

Offense -- Draft a running back you can hand the ball off to more than 7 or 8 times a game. I love Abdullah, but from the looks of it -- the coaches don't feel he is a guy who can take being a bell cow RB. Joique Bell looks like he is running in slow motion and the OL looks lost on what they are supposed to be doing out there. Detroit needs to simplify the offense. In the end -- if the OL cannot open a hole for the RBs or pass protect -- Detroit isn't beating many teams. Minnesota didn't just beat Detroit -- they beat up Detroit and Denver has much better pass rushers than Minnesota.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm steering clear of the pointless threads about who is in the others head, etc. -- But this is actual question regarding football and the Lions.

Defense -- Pressure Manning, early and often. The OL for Denver has been atrocious this year, though once Kubiak scrapped his offense to let Manning run the hurry up last week -- Denver really started moving the ball. If Denver goes back to playing out of the shotgun, with Peyton calling plays at the line of scrimmage. It could be a long game. Best hope -- Kubiak goes back to his conversative play calling.

Offense -- Draft a running back you can hand the ball off to more than 7 or 8 times a game. I love Abdullah, but from the looks of it -- the coaches don't feel he is a guy who can take being a bell cow RB. Joique Bell looks like he is running in slow motion and the OL looks lost on what they are supposed to be doing out there. Detroit needs to simplify the offense. In the end -- if the OL cannot open a hole for the RBs or pass protect -- Detroit isn't beating many teams. Minnesota didn't just beat Detroit -- they beat up Detroit and Denver has much better pass rushers than Minnesota.

I liike most of this.

Defense I would add that we should play press again and force Manning to make the outside throws. I remember last year he could not do it.

Offense, I might try going jumbo. Put the FB in and Bell in to block and then give AA the rock. Let Riddick get some too outside mostly though. Run it right down their throats. Every once in a while play action and chuck it long to either CJ or Tate.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have the personal to beat a winning team like Denver, scheme doesn't matter. Their D is going to rock our QB all game long. Look for Emmanuel Sanders to have a huge game.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions are basically 0-4 right now, cause they aren't beating Seattle or Green Bay on the road. 0-5 if you want to assume they'll lose to Denver too, which I do.

The silver lining in it all is after 15 long years, Mayhew will finally be shown the door when it's over. You think I'm in a good mood now?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure it will work but I would try pressuringManning with only four or five early and play more coverage. Sanders and Thomas will have a huge day if we blitz, imo.

You might be right about Abdullah. They dont want to put the load on him but its worth a shot if you ask me. They need to go to the TEs in this one.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have the personal to beat a winning team like Denver, scheme doesn't matter. Their D is going to rock our QB all game long. Look for Emmanuel Sanders to have a huge game.

Unfortunately, Manning with probably be killing us with the underneath stuff.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions are basically 0-4 right now, cause they aren't beating Seattle or Green Bay on the road. 0-5 if you want to assume they'll lose to Denver too, which I do.

The silver lining in it all is after 15 long years, Mayhew will finally be shown the door when it's over. You think I'm in a good mood now?

Seems that way. Only way to redeem what is lost or earn some respect right now is to win this week and next week.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that way. Only way to redeem what is lost or earn some respect right now is to win this week and next week.

Were gonna see what this team is made of in the next two weeks.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense I would add that we should play press again and force Manning to make the outside throws. I remember last year he could not do it.

Offense, I might try going jumbo. Put the FB in and Bell in to block and then give AA the rock. Let Riddick get some too outside mostly though. Run it right down their throats. Every once in a while play action and chuck it long to either CJ or Tate.

Normally I would be all for playing press coverage, but with Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryus Thomas -- I think they will put a hurting on us. That is why I'm hoping for the Gary Kubiak offense. If Manning runs the hurry up and throws it a ton -- it could be a long game.

Offensively -- I'd love to go jumbo, but we don't have the personnel to do so. Jumbo is what SF did to Minnesota's defense and they ran the ball all over them. They were bringing out 2 and 3 TE's -- Detroit doesn't even have one TE that can block now that Pettigrew is out. So while I would love to see the Lions run the ball on Denver -- I'm not sure how we will accomplish that. Maybe a fullback with Zach Zenner running up the middle. I had high hopes for Bell, but he looks like a completely different player this year -- He isn't just a step slower, he looks a couple steps slower.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, Manning with probably be killing us with the underneath stuff.

Talk about the wrong QB to face when you are having issues with your LB's being able to cover anyone. We just have to hope we get pressure on him before he has the chance to pick us apart. If we make him throw outside -- I like our chances. If the middle of the field is wide open -- it will be a long day.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it will work but I would try pressuringManning with only four or five early and play more coverage. Sanders and Thomas will have a huge day if we blitz, imo.

You might be right about Abdullah. They dont want to put the load on him but its worth a shot if you ask me. They need to go to the TEs in this one.

I agree -- we can't send the house and leave our CBs on an island. While I have faith in Slay, Mathis has been a disaster thus far.

And I'm all for giving AA more carries. If anything -- I'd rather see AA getting the majority of the carries and if they want to use Bell -- use him on 3rd down to either help pass protect or catch balls. As far as the TE's -- we really only have one right now. Pettigrew's hamstring injury hurts the options we have. He is the only TE that can block on the roster.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think if Ansah becomes more consistent in getting home, he could be a major factor for the Lions defense obviously.. We already know he is a great run defender.. The Linebackers are getting better each week and 3/4 of our secondary is still decent.. It's all a matter of if the rest of the D-Line plays respectable and if the Nickel and 2nd CB can play average..

The offense needs play better as a whole.. Nothing really good about it atm. Honestly they should just run the ball more often this week if they can.. Don't let Stafford work in the pocket for too long.. If they can run better the playaction could be sold better..

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Linebackers are getting better each week

I like the rest of your post. Our LB's this year have struggled though. With no Levy and Tulloch 'shaking off the rust' -- It has been pretty ugly.

I don't think we will see what the Lions defense can be until they get Levy back.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the rest of your post. Our LB's this year have struggled though. With no Levy and Tulloch 'shaking off the rust' -- It has been pretty ugly.

I don't think we will see what the Lions defense can be until they get Levy back.
They were terrible the first week.. But I think Tulloch has improved a bit last week.. He's just not good in pass coverage and we need Levy ASAP.. It is what it is with him..

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense needs play better as a whole.. Nothing really good about it atm. Honestly they should just run the ball more often this week if they can.. Don't let Stafford work in the pocket for too long.. If they can run better the playaction could be sold better..

I'm hoping that maybe playing in front of the home crowd gets them pumped up. Only way we run the ball better though is if the OL plays better. It is actually really terrible we can't run the ball consistently, as no team is doing anything to stop the run. With safeties 20+ yards off the line of scrimmage -- the Lions should be able to move the ball on the ground. It just isn't happening.