• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

players who are free agents at end of the year

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The ones I highlighted I'd like to re-sign:

Signed through 2011
OT Alex Boone (EFA)
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA)
LB Ahmad Brooks
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Ted Ginn
S Dashon Goldson

LB Tavares Gooden
LB Larry Grant (RFA)
WR Joshua Morgan
TE Justin Peelle
RG Chilo Rachal
CB Carlos Rogers
FB Moran Norris
QB Alex Smith
S Reggie Smith

OL Adam Snyder
DB C.J. Spillman (RFA)
WR Brett Swain
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA)
S Madieu Williams

Read more: 49ers hope to work out contract extensions
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd think it would be prudent to re-sign either Snyder or Rachal. Ideally neither would be starting (hoping to see some of Kilgore as the season progresses), but Snyder should be reasonably affordable and is decent depth. Generally agree on the others.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think either Costanzo or Spillman should be signed for ST's too. Spillman hasn't shown up as much as last year, but Costanzo has quietly been doing a good job. It might be smart to sign Brock for CB insurance in case it isn't addressed again in the draft. Be good competition between him and Brown for the final spot on the team.

Wouldn't mind keeping Morgan, but he's a low priority if the other WR FA's are signed. Everything else looks fine to me.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder is at the very least good depth for the O-Line, like Crimson said.. hopefully Kilgore will be the starter at RG next year, but Snyder certainly holds value as a swing O-Lineman who can play Tackle, Guard, and Center if need be. I also agree with EaseUrStorm that Costanzo and Spillman hold ST's value... bring them back, and if need be cut them if they become expendable due to next year's draft class.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd think it would be prudent to re-sign either Snyder or Rachal. Ideally neither would be starting (hoping to see some of Kilgore as the season progresses), but Snyder should be reasonably affordable and is decent depth. Generally agree on the others.

Man I'd try to seriously add either Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rachal has not been impressive and Snyder is 30 and ok at best.

We could upgrade RG via the draft in 2nd or 3rd round, via free agency, or Kilgore could step up. So Rachal and Snyder are not a priority.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rachal has not been impressive and Snyder is 30 and ok at best.

We could upgrade RG via the draft in 2nd or 3rd round, via free agency, or Kilgore could step up. So Rachal and Snyder are not a priority.

Certainly not a priority, but Snyder should be relatively cheap, good team guy, and above-average depth. 30 isn't all that old for an OL, especially one who hasn't been a regular starter.

I'd also like to retain Morgan for largely the same reasons. Even if we don't see him as a starter, we're somewhat unlikely to retain Edwards IMO, and Morgan is an all-around solid player and teammate.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly not a priority, but Snyder should be relatively cheap, good team guy, and above-average depth. 30 isn't all that old for an OL, especially one who hasn't been a regular starter.

I'd also like to retain Morgan for largely the same reasons. Even if we don't see him as a starter, we're somewhat unlikely to retain Edwards IMO, and Morgan is an all-around solid player and teammate.

A little surprised by this. I think the knee thing might be a little beneficial. If he bounces back and play well on the back half, I think we'll try to retain him and he might not be able to demand as much because of the injury.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree about Edwards, one of the stories posted earlier in the year had a quote from him where he was upset that the CBA dispute had cost him a long-term deal. Which to me implied that he just wanted to use this one year with the 49ers to springboard him to another team with a large contract.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Edwards, one of the stories posted earlier in the year had a quote from him where he was upset that the CBA dispute had cost him a long-term deal. Which to me implied that he just wanted to use this one year with the 49ers to springboard him to another team with a large contract.

I thought he blamed the night club incident. Either way, he also commented early on that he likes it in San Fran and wanted to be the team's "go to" WR now and in the future.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he blamed the night club incident. Either way, he also commented early on that he likes it in San Fran and wanted to be the team's "go to" WR now and in the future.

I hope the 49ers can bring him back, just the little bit we saw of him so far this year was incredible. Not so much statistically, but he was fighting for every extra inch he could gain on his receptions and that was awesome to see.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'd try to seriously add either Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs.

Here's the thing...how much money do you want us to have invested in the O-line? I would love to have one of those guys so don't get me wrong, but I would rather have Kilgore or Rachal/Snyder and be able to spend that money elsewhere. If the price is right then it makes since, but we have a lot of guys that are going to be FA's after this season. We should try to re-sign and add to what we have in other areas.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OT Alex Boone (EFA)
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA)
LB Ahmad Brooks
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Ted Ginn
S Dashon Goldson
LB Tavares Gooden
LB Larry Grant (RFA)
WR Joshua Morgan
TE Justin Peelle
RG Chilo Rachal
CB Carlos Rogers
FB Moran Norris
QB Alex Smith
S Reggie Smith
OL Adam Snyder
DB C.J. Spillman (RFA)
WR Brett Swain
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA)
S Madieu Williams

The only players i'd like for the 49ers to re-sign LB Ahmad Brooks,CB Carlos Rogers,QB Alex Smith,S Reggie Smith,OL Adam Snyder,WR Braylon Edwards,WR Ted Ginn,S Dashon Goldson,WR Joshua Morgan

i wouldn't go crazy spending alot of money on these guys but they are key players....

first 3 rounds in the draft..1.Andrew luck.. 2.T.J. McDonald, S, USC 3.Ryan Broyles, WR/PR, Oklahoma

I think luck will pull a Eli manning and demand to be traded to 49ers

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT Alex Boone (EFA)
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA)
LB Ahmad Brooks
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Ted Ginn
S Dashon Goldson
LB Tavares Gooden
LB Larry Grant (RFA)
WR Joshua Morgan
TE Justin Peelle
RG Chilo Rachal
CB Carlos Rogers
FB Moran Norris
QB Alex Smith
S Reggie Smith
OL Adam Snyder
DB C.J. Spillman (RFA)
WR Brett Swain
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA)
S Madieu Williams

The only players i'd like for the 49ers to re-sign LB Ahmad Brooks,CB Carlos Rogers,QB Alex Smith,S Reggie Smith,OL Adam Snyder,WR Braylon Edwards,WR Ted Ginn,S Dashon Goldson,WR Joshua Morgan

i wouldn't go crazy spending alot of money on these guys but they are key players....

first 3 rounds in the draft..1.Andrew luck.. 2.T.J. McDonald, S, USC 3.Ryan Broyles, WR/PR, Oklahoma

We'd still have to trade a lot to get Luck and what does Luck have as an alternative? Manning got his treatment because of his name and family. Elway had his baseball career. What does Luck say? If you don't trade me, I will retire for a year? (In a holdout, a player goes into another draft the next year (?)) Players can't just demand trades and go where they want. Number 1 pick has more pull because wasting a number one is big but I doubt Luck would do this. Hypothetically if he did, it would have to be Miami to get the pick?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A little surprised by this. I think the knee thing might be a little beneficial. If he bounces back and play well on the back half, I think we'll try to retain him and he might not be able to demand as much because of the injury.

There's a chance Edwards returns, of course, but I don't think it's a stellar one. A lot will depend on how he plays from here on out. He wants a big contract, and I agree the knee issue will hurt him in that area. But I see two options: either he blows up and he'll test the market, in which case he'll go elsewhere, or he is only ok and may not want to sign a longterm contract. In the latter case, he might stick around for a year. If he's willing to sign a mid-range, multi-year deal, I'm tentatively all for it based on what he did show prior to the injury. I just don't see that happening.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT Alex Boone (EFA)
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA)
LB Ahmad Brooks
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Ted Ginn
S Dashon Goldson
LB Tavares Gooden
LB Larry Grant (RFA)
WR Joshua Morgan
TE Justin Peelle
RG Chilo Rachal
CB Carlos Rogers
FB Moran Norris
QB Alex Smith
S Reggie Smith
OL Adam Snyder
DB C.J. Spillman (RFA)
WR Brett Swain
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA)
S Madieu Williams

Even if he did demand to be traded we would still have to give up a boat load of picks for him meaning we wouldn't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year. Secondly, there is no way in hell Ryan Broyles will be around in the 3rd round. He probably won't even make it out of the first round. I would love to have Luck, McDonald, and Broyles but there is just no way.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luck family has money already

We'd still have to trade a lot to get Luck and what does Luck have as an alternative? Manning got his treatment because of his name and family. Elway had his baseball career. What does Luck say? If you don't trade me, I will retire for a year? (In a holdout, a player goes into another draft the next year (?)) Players can't just demand trades and go where they want. Number 1 pick has more pull because wasting a number one is big but I doubt Luck would do this. Hypothetically if he did, it would have to be Miami to get the pick?

Sitting out that one year wont hurt Luck so we will get him. He can sit out go back to college or do something for one year. He has leverage believe me. Isnt his dad a smart man? His dad wont let his son's career go down the drain because of a crappy team

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting out that one year wont hurt Luck so we will get him. He can sit out go back to college or do something for one year. He has leverage believe me. Isnt his dad a smart man? His dad wont let his son's career go down the drain because of a crappy team

If you declare you can't go back to play for a college team. That's why the declaring time is so important. Otherwise a lot of people would declare (if they knew their college team would wait for them) see where they were after the workouts (but before the draft). So his choice is to leave, finish his degree without playing and re-enter. I guess it could happen, I just doubt it. I think the examples out there had some circumstances beyond "I can go back to school" or "I don't want to play for you." If he's that good and has much confidence, he won't holdout for a standard crappy team. Miami - with a standard crappy team and bad management maybe (there are teams with good management but bad talent or injury problems, i.e. the Colts injury problem).

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing that really helped Manning with his refusal to play for the Chargers was the presence of Rivers. SD was able to get Rivers as well as another first round pick and some mid round picks. Landry Jones COULD be the Rivers to Luck's Manning, but that means if Miami has the first pick and Luck refuses to play there, the furthest down they would move is to whoever takes Jones and is willing to move up for Luck.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT Will Tukuafu (EFA) OT Alex Boone (EFA)
CB Tramaine Brock (EFA) CB Carlos Rogers
QB Alex Smith LB Tavares Gooden
S Reggie Smith mando!!