• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pick your free agent

• Thread starter cubzzzfanincali
  • Start date

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What was intended is the that the Bears construct contracts so they can be changed at a later date if needed. How is that a no.
I tend to agree with that poster , that said you're looking for an argument.
Seems you nit pick anything said on this board.:wtf2:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was intended is the that the Bears construct contracts so they can be changed at a later date if needed. How is that a no.
I tend to agree with that poster , that said you're looking for an argument.
Seems you nit pick anything said on this board.:wtf2:

I have no fucking idea what you are trying to express. Try to be less drunk would you. Seems you are pretty much clueless when you are.....

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOUND ON THE INTERNET.,.............

With Free Agency just over 2 days away, each fan base dreams of what their team(s) will accomplish this off season. The salary cap jumped up exactly $10 million from a year ago, with that comes more cash to spend.

While the Chicago Bears appear to be strapped for space, there are many ways the team can create extra space. As of right now, the team currently projected to have right around $9.36 million to work with after the recent signing of Jeremiah Ratliff, who is projected to have a $1.4 million cap hit this season, according to ESPN”s Michael C. Wright.

With that being said, there are a few “hidden” costs to go over before we get started.

2014 Draft Class: Over The Cap projects that the team will need to set aside $2.4 million aside for their class, it’s always a good idea to round up, though. ($3 million)

Emergency Cash: Going into the 2013 season, the team had right around $3 million, after a large amount of injuries and contract escalators, they used right around $2.3 million of that money. ($3 million)

Practice Squad: Although, this does not count into the initial cap during the off season, this will be in the total costs when the season starts. ($2 million)

Final Two Players: Right now, the cap figure that has been projected is without the practice squad and also with just the top 51 players under contract. When the roster is set, the last two players will count against the cap as well. ($1 million)

After the hidden costs, the Bears technically only have about $.36 million to work with. Don’t fret though Bears fans, the team will have the full $9.36 million going into the off season to spend, without having to account for the hidden costs.

Now, for some good news. The team could save $17.25 million in cash with four realistic cuts. Along with that, the “Automatic Conversion” clause placed into Cutler, Jennings, etc contracts can provide the team with an extra $14 million in relief as well. The clause sounds great on paper and does not carry a penalty but the team would in turn create that money into a “bonus” to be spread through future years, thus, creating a higher cap hit over that period.

In this scenario, no money was borrowed and the team still had a small amount of wiggle room, even after the hidden costs. Backloads will be the key this year, much like it was last year.

Just remember, Bushrod, Bennett, Slauson, Williams, and Anderson were all signed for under an $8 million cap hit last year. All five started.

With the basics out of the way, lets get to my projections to how I see Phil Emery working this off season.

Cuts

Julius Peppers (Defensive End)- $9.8 million cash savings/$9.38 million in cap savings.

Michael Bush (Running Back)- $2.8 million cash savings/$2.38 million in cap savings. *June 1st designation

Eric Weems(Wide Receiver)- $1.1 million cash savings/$.68 million in cap savings.

Pay Cut

Earl Bennett (Wide Receiver)- $1.5 million cash and cap savings.

Re-signs

With Cutler, Jennings, Slauson, Gould, Fiammetta, Garza, Ratliff, Boggs, Rosario, and Hayden already being retained and counted into the cap projection, I will not cover their contracts.

Corey Wootton (Defensive End)- 3 years/$9 million. ($1.5 million cash hit) $1.08 million cap hit.

Zachary Bowman (Cornerback) 2 years/$2.5 million. ($1 million cash hit) $.58 million cap hit.

DJ Williams (Linebacker) 1 year/$.8 million ($.8 million cash hit) $.38 million cap hit.

Eben Britton (Offensive Lineman) 2 years/$2 million ($.8 million cash hit) $.38 million cap hit.

Craig Steltz (Safety) 2 years/$2 million ($.8 million cash hit) $.38 million cap hit.

Patrick Mannelly (Long Snapper) 2 years/$2 million ($1 million cash hit) $.58 million cap hit.

Sherrick McManis (Cornerback) 2 years/$2 million ($.88 million cash hit) $.46 million cap hit.

Total cap hit: $3.84 million.

Free Agency

Defensive Ends Austen Lane and Trevor Scott have already been accounted for in the cap.

Michael Bennett (Defensive End) 4 years/$30 million ($3.5 million cash hit) $3.08 million cap hit.

Bennett has been the talk of many teams during the start of the off season period. With his brother already here and Seattle not getting a deal done, the writing might be on the walls. He will step in and become the number one guy.

Linval Joseph (Defensive Tackle) 4 years/$24 million ($3 million cash hit) $2.58 million cap hit.

At just 25-years-old, Joseph will fly under most fans’ radars as a prime off season target. He may not be a pass rusher but he’s a big body up the middle and a ever improving run-stuffer. If the price is right, Emery will have a hard time looking him over.

TJ Ward (Strong Safety) 5 years/$35 million ($3.5 million cash hit) $3.08 million cap hit.

Ward or Byrd? The debate lives on but for this team, Ward fits the bill better. With Conte returning and the projected starter, a strong safety to the caliber of Ward will do nothing but help him. Ward is a hard hitter, great in the box and underrated in coverage. Value is not as high as his counterpart, Byrd.

Willie Young (Defensive End) 2 years/$3 million ($1 million cash hit) $.58 million cap hit.

Most may recognize him for his play with the Lions. He’s not a stand out player or a starter but any good line, needs a good rotation. This is what Young will bring. He’s more productive than his number suggest and is solid depth for the price.

Draft

Round one (Pick 14) Aaron Donald (Defensive Tackle) from Pittsburgh

Donald may be the second best defensive lineman in the entire draft. Knocked for his size, the kid simply produces. He averaged 1.5 sacks and 2.4 tackles-for-losses a game in 2013. Great fit at 3-tech after Melton departs via Free Agency.

Round two (Pick 20) Deon Bucannon (Safety) from Washington State

Even with Ward being brought in at Safety, the team still needs a long term option to groom after Conte’s contract is up this year. Bucannon has good size, speed and ability. He is a hard hitter and most importantly a play maker.

Round three (Pick 19) Keith McGill (Conerback) from Utah

At 6’3, McGill draws comparisons of Richard Sherman. Although he is still raw, McGill would be a great candidate to sit behind a veteran like Bowman for a year and simply develop. He is also very versatile and could convert to safety if needed. Good value this late.

Round four (Pick 18) Zach Mettenberger (Quarterback) from LSU

Before his ACL tear, Mettenberger was a 2nd round pick. Some may feel he won’t last until here but with that injury, this seems like a very realistic spot. Has great ability and could develop behind Cutler for the next few years and pull a later round Aaron Rogers. Also has great size at 6’5 & bring mobility. Fits Emery’s mold.

Round five (Pick 17) Dri Archer (Running Back/ Wide Receiver) from Kent State

Before the combine, Archer was mostly an unknown commodity but after running the fastest 40 time, he is now in the spotlight. It is no secret that the Bears could use a versatile “weapon” to stretch the field in a few different looks. Archer and De’Anthony Thomas are the most likely to fit this role.

Round six (Pick 14) Colt Lyerla (Tight End) from Oregon

After a pretty good combine outing, Lyerla has grown on many. At 6’4, he has good size and brings better speed than most anticipated. Would be a good prospect to develop as the number two Tight End behind Martellus.

Round six (Pick 16) Gabe Ikard (Center) from Oklahoma

Another Sooner? Yes, you read this right. Roberto Garza signed another one year deal to remain the Center for another season but the soon to be 35-year-old is obviously not the long term option. Ikard may not be high on many boards but he fits the bill for the Bears. Good size and best suited for a Zone Blocking Scheme, Ikard could be a steal with the last pick.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick it apart......

The one thing I found is the pratice squad counts 0 against the cap

How are practice squad players paid?

A player is eligible for the practice squad if he has accrued less than 9 games in an NFL season. Practice squad players earn a minimum of $6,000 per week (no maximum). Practice squad salaries DO count against the team's salary cap.

When a player is called up to the active 53 man roster from the practice squad, he is guaranteed 3 weeks pay at the current year's NFL minimum ($405,000 in 2013).

C

cubzzzfanincali

OK, so, I waited to see what everyone else's plans were, and with free agency imminent, it's only fair I put my thoughts on this out there to be picked apart.

I'm going to be a little bit of a weasel and put two out there instead of one, because I truly don't know if they are going 3-4 or 4-3 (I'm not even sure that they know).

I'm going to make a few assumptions here. They include:
- start with cap hit as of 3/9/2014, which from Sportrac sits at $125 leaving $8 mil in cap space
- then Peppers gets cut, saving $10, so cap now at $18
- the misc costs needed to sign draft class, mid-season, etc. is $9 million, so cap is now at $9 million
- no money shifted around a la Cutler contract to push hits into future years
- Bush not cut, or if he is, replaced with 2nd RB which hits cap about same amount
- Any Earl Bennett restructure is only a few hundred thousand worth, so doesn't materially affect cap very much
- they carry a pretty NFL-typical complement of roster spots, you know 9 DBs, 6 LBs, 9 D line
- maybe the diciest assumption, that Bears use first 5 rounds of picks of D and they all wind up making the roster

You can argue with those assumptions if you like, but for everything below, that's what I am assuming.
So, then, what do we do? Remember....there's $9 million available.

If Bears stay in 4-3
DE: draft, draft, Washington, Willie Young (figuring he goes for $2.5 million), Shea is swing DE (splits time between here and LB and for depth)
DT: Paea, Ratliff, draft, vet minimum guy (a la Collins, or maybe a guy like Kyle Love) for ~$1 million
SLB: sign another vet min guy, like Anderson, or maybe Haralson...just some proven SLB who is willing for $1 million
MLB/WLB: Briggs, Bostic, Greene, Shea (unless he wins MLB outright)
CB: Jennings, draft, Frey, Hayden, free agent in $2 mil a year range, maybe one of Robinson, Trufant, Bailey, Cook, or Will Allen
S: Conte, draft, and there's about $2.5 mil still left for two free agents, maybe 2 guys like Mundy or Nate Allen

So that's my basic 4-3 plan. No big names, but we, um, you know....have a full roster. Even with zero big name free agents, I've just blown all the cash and barely filled out the roster by consuming the draft class. But it's a team! Obviously, if you can trade Briggs for a pick, you get another $5.5 million...which..if it were me...I would not blow on one bigger player at one of those spots. I can tell you right now what I would do with that money. Take half of it and sign a better DE than a Willie Young type, maybe now you'd sign someone like Jones or Allen on a one year, and then take the other half and sign one better safety, maybe it could get you to Malcolm Jenkins (maybe). And you'd use the Briggs pick on a LB.

Or.....if the Bears go to a 3-4, here's what I would do:

NT: Cody (assuming he costs $2.5 million), draft
DE: Paea, Ratliff, Antonio Smith grade guy ($2.5 million), draft
rush linebacker: Shea,
ILB: Briggs, Bostic, vet min 3-4 ILB like Carpenter or Moats
OLB: Greene, draft, Rob Jackson type ($1.5 million)
CB/S: same as 4-3, except I'd have less money allocated to the free agent CB signing leftover.
Again no big names, but we, um, you know....have a full roster. Even with zero big name free agents, I've just blown all the cash and barely filled out the roster by consuming the draft class. Trading Briggs here would even be more beneficial, because then you'd get a true 3-4 instead of him with the free agency money, plus that extra pick would be huge.

So there you have it. Fire away. Obviously I've signed no big names, but as you should be able to realize, it takes more than 11 guys to play a defense, so I figured that rather than consign the defense to 6 starting grade guys and 22 undrafted walk-ons, I'd actually try to build a roster with some real depth.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Pick it apart......

It's extremely easy to pick this apart. It's absurd. How does he suggest we get a cap hit of only $9.5 million total after signing two of the priciest free agents on the market plus Willie Young and Linval Joseph? That's insane. Yeah I'd like to believe in unicorns too.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send your comments to David Haugh......still waiting on your plan Cali

C

cubzzzfanincali

Send your comments to David Haugh......still waiting on your plan Cali

I'm telling you since you are the one who posted it.

My plan is back a couple of posts. No need to wait.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm going to make a few assumptions here. They include:
- start with cap hit as of 3/9/2014, which from Sportrac sits at $125 leaving $8 mil in cap space
- then Peppers gets cut, saving $10, so cap now at $18
- the misc costs needed to sign draft class, mid-season, etc. is $9 million, so cap is now at $9 million
- no money shifted around a la Cutler contract to push hits into future years
- Bush not cut, or if he is, replaced with 2nd RB which hits cap about same amount
- Any Earl Bennett restructure is only a few hundred thousand worth, so doesn't materially affect cap very much
- they carry a pretty NFL-typical complement of roster spots, you know 9 DBs, 6 LBs, 9 D line
- maybe the diciest assumption, that Bears use first 5 rounds of picks of D and they all wind up making the roster

You can argue with those assumptions if you like, but for everything below, that's what I am assuming.
So, then, what do we do? Remember....there's $9 million available.

If Bears stay in 4-3
DE: draft, draft, Washington, Willie Young (figuring he goes for $2.5 million), Shea is swing DE (splits time between here and LB and for depth)
DT: Paea, Ratliff, draft, vet minimum guy (a la Collins, or maybe a guy like Kyle Love) for ~$1 million
SLB: sign another vet min guy, like Anderson, or maybe Haralson...just some proven SLB who is willing for $1 million
MLB/WLB: Briggs, Bostic, Greene, Shea (unless he wins MLB outright)
CB: Jennings, draft, Frey, Hayden, free agent in $2 mil a year range, maybe one of Robinson, Trufant, Bailey, Cook, or Will Allen
S: Conte, draft, and there's about $2.5 mil still left for two free agents, maybe 2 guys like Mundy or Nate Allen

So I wasn't way off, but missed some basic things. We signed Ratliff, Young, Mundy, Collins. Other safety was another misc scrub though no name. I mean...hey...Young and Mundy, that's a pretty good prediction!

But basically instead of the extra CB I had them signing, they re-signed Tillman, who I didn't think would play for us that cheap. Two, they cut Bennett and Bush, so we are a little thinner at offensive skill positions, but signed Houston on the DL instead.

Not THAT far off!

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Job.......when are you posting your mock draft?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Good Job.......when are you posting your mock draft?

I can't do that. Predicting the draft is like predicting where 32 kittens will run after you let them out of a box.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't do that. Predicting the draft is like predicting where 32 kittens will run after you let them out of a box.

well. eventually the males are gonna end up finding the titties. Thats all we can hope for in the draft, a few good titties.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well. eventually the males are gonna end up finding the titties. Thats all we can hope for in the draft, a few good titties.

:lol: And hope there's some size to them. Bigger is better. Again :lol: