• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pick Up Jean Machi, Drop A.J. Ramos

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jean Machi is available for my league and I am thinking of picking him up... I am thinking about Dropping

A.J. Ramos for Machi

Should I?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jean Machi is available for my league and I am thinking of picking him up... I am thinking about Dropping

A.J. Ramos for Machi

Should I?

What is your goal or end game with this Red? I mean these are otherwise just 2 middle relief guys. What makes them stand out are the wins they have "vultured" so far. As such, neither can be counted on to give you very much as far as counting stats go, as these guys can not be counted on for wins going forward, though they may both end up with a handful more by the time the season is over.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how competitive the save chase in your league is.

With Fernandez going down, the Marlins are a lock to fall out of contention, which means that Cishek will likely be dealt at the deadline. When he is, Ramos is likely next in line.

That is two months away, but if owners in your league kill for saves, I would keep Ramos.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just looking at saves right now and right now Machi has them and Ramos does not AND Machi has more wins than Ramos... Granted I don't really need wins since I have Wainwright, Gerit Cole, Ventura, Verlander, I do have Cishek

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not add I have Kimbrel and Frieri

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just looking at saves right now and right now Machi has them and Ramos does not AND Machi has more wins than Ramos... Granted I don't really need wins since I have Wainwright, Gerit Cole, Ventura, Verlander, I do have Cishek

With that in mind, I would follow Tlance and go with Ramos. I also think that he would be next in line for saves is Cishek is moved. With closers or possible closers in mind, I think the A's & Cubs pens are in the most flux, and with that, I think you should give Sean Doolittle or Hector Rondon a look-see as well if you have not already.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.. So even though right now Ramos has no saves, higher ERA, less wins, more Ks and walks than Machi I should keep Ramos? Granted both haven't pitched much

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok.. So even though right now Ramos has no saves, higher ERA, less wins, more Ks and walks than Machi I should keep Ramos? Granted both haven't pitched much

If saves are what you are looking for, then yes. He has the better chance to get them going forward. That said, a new and different option can come up at anytime, so maybe just hold Ramos for now, but if a different closers job comes open, be ready to jump on that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If saves are what you are looking for, then yes. He has the better chance to get them going forward. That said, a new and different option can come up at anytime, so maybe just hold Ramos for now, but if a different closers job comes open, be ready to jump on that.

Dang this doesn't make my decision any easier

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang this doesn't make my decision any easier

Tis the volitile nature of the closers job. On one team I have, I have had and dropped the A's Jim Jonhson TWICE already this year. And, as I could find a suitable replacement, I ended up dumping him for Derek Norris, as I would rather play mix and match at my catcher spot than try to figure out who the next best is right now.

That said, if a new closers job opens up, it will be bye, bye Derek.

Remember, fantasy is a marathon, not a sprint......

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tis the volitile nature of the closers job. On one team I have, I have had and dropped the A's Jim Jonhson TWICE already this year. And, as I could find a suitable replacement, I ended up dumping him for Derek Norris, as I would rather play mix and match at my catcher spot than try to figure out who the next best is right now.

That said, if a new closers job opens up, it will be bye, bye Derek.

Remember, fantasy is a marathon, not a sprint......

Yeah this is a good point... Closers are a fickle bunch and are a dime a dozen. I had Johnson for about 2 weeks than let him go.. It is a marathon, but I would like to be well ahead of everyone before I drop and or pick someone up

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is a good point... Closers are a fickle bunch and are a dime a dozen. I had Johnson for about 2 weeks than let him go.. It is a marathon, but I would like to be well ahead of everyone before I drop and or pick someone up

Some very minor new info just in. I see that it is time to watch the Mets closer situation, as they are in "by committee" mode as of today. Sadly, there is no real sexy front runner to recommend from the get go, so you will just have to monitor and jump on whoever ends up running with that job after a time.

It's not much, but gives you something to shoot for anyway.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Things got pretty bad for the Mets then huh?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some very minor new info just in. I see that it is time to watch the Mets closer situation, as they are in "by committee" mode as of today. Sadly, there is no real sexy front runner to recommend from the get go, so you will just have to monitor and jump on whoever ends up running with that job after a time.

It's not much, but gives you something to shoot for anyway.

Mejia and Familia are the two guys to watch there. I think Mejia might get it if he pitches well in his new role.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mejia would be sneaky too... always blows through the first lineup, his nasty stuff would work well in one inning spurts.

As for the Machi thing, never ever, ever pick up middle relievers for wins. Machi could get three more wins this week, and I'd say the same thing next week. Never.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like how he had wins.... But I was thinking Machi would get more chances and more saves.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like how he had wins.... But I was thinking Machi would get more chances and more saves.

Would you rather have 2 saves in June, or 20 in August + September?

Besides, I am not even sure that Machi is 2nd in line in SF. Ramos clearly appears to have overtaken Dunn in Miami. The wins are great, but like others have said you can't count on relief wins.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather have 2 saves in June, or 20 in August + September?

Besides, I am not even sure that Machi is 2nd in line in SF. Ramos clearly appears to have overtaken Dunn in Miami. The wins are great, but like others have said you can't count on relief wins.

damn you and your sound logic! :nod:

I did not pull the trigger on this and kept Ramos.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn you and your sound logic! :nod:

I did not pull the trigger on this and kept Ramos.

Good Luck!

FYI, the SF bullpen heirarchy appears to be:

Romo, Casilla, Affeldt, Machi

I am not sure what the circumstances were when Machi got his save, but he may not get another all season.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Luck!

FYI, the SF bullpen heirarchy appears to be:

Romo, Casilla, Affeldt, Machi

I am not sure what the circumstances were when Machi got his save, but he may not get another all season.

Thanks for this information! And thanks for the good luck!