• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

phils sign miguel alfredo gonzalez

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's actually.. shocking. says the deal is worth over 50 million. hard to believe we outbid teams for an international player. another fan already had my joke comment before i could post it..

"Wow. I guess his real Cuban age is 37 if the Phillies just signed him."

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely. this is the type of move i love. we have the money, especially with the new tv deal coming, and it's in the not too bad range of 8-10 million per year. age, 26-32.. prime years. they say he throws mid 90's and his split and changeup are slightly above average. if he projects to the #3 they label him as, it's a great deal.

we don't lose any prospects and it's not a major hit on the payroll. i think this is it.. it might be the moment. cue the band...

ruben :thumb:

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is really surprising. I mean, REALLY surprising.

It was widely speculated that the Red Sox were pretty much the choice team for the pitcher.

So, now, trade Papelbon, Utley, Young, Ruiz, and Rollins. Keep Lee (because he's actually good and equally good pitchers wouldn't be much cheaper), bring up all the prospects for the next 2+ months, see who has promise, and then sign/trade during the off season to fill holes/production needs.

Also, If Halladay comes back and can actually pitch AND they trade away the above mentioned players, I would be okay if they signed him to a reasonable contract. Lot's of "ifs" & "ands" for that, though.

IF they don't fuck this up, they could have a really good rotation with a competent, younger, and more durable starting line up next year.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a little bit of a gamble because that's a lot of money for someone who's not proven in the major leagues but I like it. International signings like this is a way you can use your ability to have a higher payroll to your advantage. The way mlb is set up it is not easy to improve your team just by being "buyers". With free agents from other teams you are paying a high price and many times the player has already had most of his best seasons. You also have to give up a draft pick sometimes. When you trade for star players you are paying the price in prospects. If Gonzalez turns into a solid starter for the Phillies next year will be a great deal.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a little bit of a gamble because that's a lot of money for someone who's not proven in the major leagues but I like it. International signings like this is a way you can use your ability to have a higher payroll to your advantage. The way mlb is set up it is not easy to improve your team just by being "buyers". With free agents from other teams you are paying a high price and many times the player has already had most of his best seasons. You also have to give up a draft pick sometimes. When you trade for star players you are paying the price in prospects. If Gonzalez turns into a solid starter for the Phillies next year will be a great deal.

apparently, he is major league ready and could be up as early as mid-august

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gonzalez can go well into the game say, consistently into 6-8 innings or even a complete game like certainly Halladay and Hamels and Lee used to, then this guy is worth his money and its makes Papelbon expendable who isn't worth his money. Then maybe they'll bring up some of those heavy bats we have in the farm system.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's actually.. shocking. says the deal is worth over 50 million. hard to believe we outbid teams for an international player. another fan already had my joke comment before i could post it..
"Wow. I guess his real Cuban age is 37 if the Phillies just signed him."

His deal reportedly is worth $60 million over six years, which would make him the highest paid international player.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Gonzalez can go well into the game say, consistently into 6-8 innings or even a complete game like certainly Halladay and Hamels and Lee used to, then this guy is worth his money and its makes Papelbon expendable who isn't worth his money. Then maybe they'll bring up some of those heavy bats we have in the farm system.

Papelbon is expendable either way.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be true Caligula and you and I know that but brain-dead Reuben is gong to reason in the manner I presented in my first post. The dope has to have a legitimate (in his mind) reason to move Paplebon and that would be one. If Amaro can't call up young bats now and start moving aging vets, he ain't gonna move Paplebon unless of the aforementioned reason.