• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IT'S OK TO FEEL SORRY FOR YANKEES, BECAUSE THEY'RE NOWHERE CLOSE TO CONTENDING

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
typed gold

red sox - It's OK to feel sorry for Yankees, because they're nowhere close to contending - WEEI | John Tomase

IT'S OK TO FEEL SORRY FOR YANKEES, BECAUSE THEY'RE NOWHERE CLOSE TO CONTENDING
Fri, 04/10/2015 - 1:14am

Sabathia-CC%20Yankees%2004.09.15.jpg
CC Sabathia and the Yankees have reason to be concerned after missing the playoffs the last two years. (Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

PHILADELPHIA – The Yankeescan't spend their way out of this one.

Years of mismanagement and a blatant disregard for the future have finally caught up to the Bombers, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

The Red Sox open a series in New York on Friday, one day after the Yankees fell to 1-2 following a 6-3 loss to the Blue Jays.

While the Red Sox bask in the glow of perhaps the best offense and minor league system in baseball, the Yankees are more bloated than a beached whale.

Shortstop Didi Gregorius is the only regular in his 20s. Catcher Brian McCann and center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury already look like potential free agent mistakes. Alex Rodriguez is a (bleep)-show unto himself. The rotation could be the best in the division, but is just as likely to lose Masahiro Tanaka to Tommy John and CC Sabathia to osteoporosis.

The Yankees are built for the wrong era. Back when steroids coursed through the game like Alaskan crude, building around 30-somethings wasn't just a worthy gamble, but smart. Why bet on someone unproven when you could get an All-Star with the knowledge that his prime might stretch to 37?

Not anymore, though. The best teams recognize that it's hard to win without at least a complement of 20-something regulars. Mixing them with veterans is fine, as long as your aging stars aren't tripping on walkers en route to first base.

Just consider the respective lineups. The Red Sox start a pair of 22-year-olds in Mookie Betts and Xander Bogaerts, as well as 28-year-old Pablo Sandoval. The catcher was supposed to be 24-year-old Christian Vazquez, but even with Vazquez done for the year, 23-year-old Blake Swihart waits in the wings should a need arise.

Yes, there are guys in their 30s like Dustin Pedroia, Mike Napoli, Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, and of course, David Ortiz, but the Red Sox can augment them with players such as Rusney Castillo, Deven Marrero, or Garin Cecchini in the short term, and Yoan Moncada, Rafael Devers, and Manuel Margot down the road.

The Yankees are built like a 2008 All-Star team, and that's not a good thing. In addition to the aforementioned vets, they also start Carlos Beltran (37), Stephen Drew (32), Brett Gardner (31), and Chase Headley (31 shortly), a third baseman they signed to a four-year deal because they knew A-Rod was done there, despite being owed as much as $94 million.

On the pitching side, the Yankees are your ultimate boom-or-bust group. In addition to Tanaka's elbow and Sabathia's body, there's also the shoulder of big right-hander Michael Pineda. The Red Sox may not have an ace, but they've got depth. The Yankees hopes are hanging by a thread, though their bullpen is absolutely a weapon, particularly with the left-right tandem of Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances closing things out.

But age and injury are just the start. Then there's money. It turns out the Yankees have financial limits, and they're up against them, thanks to some of the worst contracts in baseball.

A-Rod is signed through 2017, when he'll make $21 million at age 42 to complete a $275 million disaster. Ellsbury ($153 million) and Tanaka ($155 million) are each signed through 2020. McCann and Headley are inked through 2018. Sabathia has a vesting option that could keep him in pinstripes through 2017. Beltran remains on the books through 2016.

In the days of Kevin Brown, Roger Clemens, Gary Sheffield, and Jason Giambi, the Yankees could live with such deals, because they knew the players would continue, um, producing. Now they're anchors.

The Red Sox figured this out, which is why they let Jon Lester walk, signed Ramirez for four years, and recently extended right-hander Rick Porcello for similar terms. They're not going to let themselves land in a Yankees situation, where they've got little choice but to wait for their horrible contracts to expire before they can even begin to think about rebuilding.

Those deals have a secondary effect that's just as onerous, however. Since many of the above players arrived via free agency, they cost the Yankees high draft picks. Twice in the past four drafts, the Yankees haven't picked their first player until the 50s (though to be fair, they had 3 first-rounders in 2013). The players that should've restocked their system either didn't sign (Gerrit Cole), didn't produce (Slade Heathcott, anyone?), or may as well not have existed (their 2010 draft has delivered a combined WAR of minus-0.1). Their farm system generally ranks in the bottom third of the game, even after a $17 million spending spree in the international market last summer.

The Red Sox, meanwhile, boast one of the two or three deepest farm systems in the game. They've refused to deal their prospects, have done a better job developing them, and now boast potential big leaguers throughout the system. Third base alone is packed, for instance, with Sandoval blocking the path of Cecchini, Sean Coyle, Devers, former first-round pick Michael Chavis, and maybe even Moncada down the road.

They've also got a number of pitchers with potential, including lefties Henry Owens, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Brian Johnson, the last of whom tossed five shutout innings Thursday night in a season-opening win for Triple A Pawtucket.

As crazy as it sounds, multiple evaluators consider the Yankees at least three years away. The Yanks need to turn over an aging core without succumbing to the allure of quick fixes in free agency, but also without upper-level prospects to fill the void.

If they're impatient, they could land in free agent jail, a lot closer to the Jets and Knicks among the Big Apple's sporting woebegone than anyone woud've imagined.

So when the Red Sox open on Friday, take a good look. This might be the closest the Yankees get to first place all season.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discuss

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Yankees will win 2 of 3 this weekend.

Very very very dumb to make judgements on a team with only 159 games left. Talk to me at the end of may/start of June

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Yankees will win 2 of 3 this weekend.

Very very very dumb to make judgements on a team with only 159 games left. Talk to me at the end of may/start of June
its not based on this season

its based on the roster, the depleted farm, and that you have one regular under 30 (didi)

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees aren't good.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably should wait at least a month before entertaining too much.

Not really. The writing has been on the wall for some time now for the Yankees. They're just too darn old. They have no organizational depth. it just is what it is and there's no reason to be upset about it.

I'll trade Yankess fans the last 20 years of Yankees ball for the Reds.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The writing has been on the wall for some time now for the Yankees. They're just too darn old. They have no organizational depth. it just is what it is and there's no reason to be upset about it.

this

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll pass

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for the TL;DR version:

Boston = gud, Yanks R old and feeble and broke.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me and my friend who are both big yankee fans, we were laughing watching the games this week...

We were playing the game WHO will hit the next Yankee HR... Nowadays it really is a crapshoot whether they even will hit one!!!

Also it is a sad day when the face of the Yankees is Brett Gardner... And I like Gardner a lot...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now for the TL;DR version:

Boston = gud, Yanks R old and feeble and broke.
boston average age:

pitchers - 26.2, non pitchers 29.6

starting fielders - 3 guys under 30 (xander 22, panda 28, mookie 22...and we may see castillo sooner than later, hes 27)

yankees

pitchers - 28.6, non pitchers - 31.8

starting fielders - one guy under 30 (didi, 25)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you know it's gonna suck when they win this series this weekend.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding castillo, fuck off..shane

PAWTUCKET 4, LEHIGH VALLEY 0

Brian Johnson tossed five innings, Noe Ramirez 2 1/3 and Heath Hembree the final 1 2/3 for the PawSox shutout. Johnson struck out six while allowing five baserunners (four hits, one walk), thereby carrying his terrific spring right into the regular season.

Rusney Castillo had two hits while playing right field on the night and created havoc on the bases, twice scoring on IronPigs errors (suggesting the Phillies' defensive future may be just as dim as their defensive present). Bryce Brentz went 1-for-2 with three walks, showing some impressive and not altogether characteristic discipline at the plate.