• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies discussing two or three year deal for Utley

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read hat it's around 13 mil per year. Mid g-30's, chronic knee problems, and has only been able to stay on the field for 132 games in 4 of his 11 seasons. Great idea, rube!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More importantly, why is he even worrying about this right now? The trade deadline ends in a couple hours and he's talking about extensions?

That's like not having any Christmas presents for your kids on Dec. 23 and going shopping for a lawn mower.
(not a perfect analogy because I'm not talking about buying, I'm saying he needs to be doing everything he can to move Michael Young, who has zero chance of being here next season and at least listening to offers for Lee, Utley, Ruiz, or pretty much anyone if the deal is right)

pghkid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An extension is the best move. There is not a better option at second base than Utley. He is still the best bat on the team. I can't understand why the Phillie fans want to see him gone. Maybe all of the Freddi Galvis fans think he will eventually hit over .230, but that is questionable. Two or three years are the answer for Utley and quit worrying about the knees. He has addressed that issue and his trip to the DL this year had nothing to do with his knees.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish Rube would get fired. He is a horrible GM. I rather have Ed Wade back

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
An extension is the best move. There is not a better option at second base than Utley. He is still the best bat on the team. I can't understand why the Phillie fans want to see him gone. Maybe all of the Freddi Galvis fans think he will eventually hit over .230, but that is questionable. Two or three years are the answer for Utley and quit worrying about the knees. He has addressed that issue and his trip to the DL this year had nothing to do with his knees.

No, an extension is not the best move. Signing Utley to $13 million a year does not help the team.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think that deal hurts them too much. If Asche and Ruf stick with the team next year you have those two plus Brown and Revere all starting and making very little money. The starting pitchers are pretty much set (at least 3 or 4 any way). Their payroll after arbitrations might only be around 120 million not including Utley. I guess you could say Cesar Hernandez is close to ready at 2nd but I'm pretty sure if Utley plays he's better. If he doesn't, you have Hernandez in AAA. Maybe Ruben thinks Utley's value as a fan favorite is worth something too. I guess what I'm saying is, if they have a big TV contract coming and have the ability to pay 160-170 million I don't think they could spend that much on a bunch of middle relievers and I don't think they were going to sign Robinson Cano so what's the difference if they give Utley 13-14 million a year for two years. If they do make a trade for someone that costs some money hopefully that involves getting rid of a contract like Rollins or even Utley after he's signed.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think that deal hurts them too much. If Asche and Ruf stick with the team next year you have those two plus Brown and Revere all starting and making very little money. The starting pitchers are pretty much set (at least 3 or 4 any way). Their payroll after arbitrations might only be around 120 million not including Utley. I guess you could say Cesar Hernandez is close to ready at 2nd but I'm pretty sure if Utley plays he's better. If he doesn't, you have Hernandez in AAA. Maybe Ruben thinks Utley's value as a fan favorite is worth something too. I guess what I'm saying is, if they have a big TV contract coming and have the ability to pay 160-170 million I don't think they could spend that much on a bunch of middle relievers and I don't think they were going to sign Robinson Cano so what's the difference if they give Utley 13-14 million a year for two years. If they do make a trade for someone that costs some money hopefully that involves getting rid of a contract like Rollins or even Utley after he's signed.

if hernandez doesn't make the phils next year, they have to push him through waivers (or release him, whatever it officially is.) it's a guaranteed lock multiple teams would take him.. so they either play him or lose him. no more AAA. that was probably the real/main reason they were trying him in center.. not because of revere's injury.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, is that some kind of rule? It seems like Mayberry has been back and forth from the minors to the majors for years.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the Phillies are banking on Utley some how being healthy and teams becoming interested in him and getting something for him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the real issue RedSeat. The guy's knees are getting up there with say an Andrew Bynum in basketball. Just toast. I was amazed to see how slow Utley had become because of it during the game Sunday night against the Braves. I simply don't understand the need for the FO to continually award aging players with these ridiculous contracts. It boggles the mind!!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the real issue RedSeat. The guy's knees are getting up there with say an Andrew Bynum in basketball. Just toast. I was amazed to see how slow Utley had become because of it during the game Sunday night against the Braves. I simply don't understand the need for the FO to continually award aging players with these ridiculous contracts. It boggles the mind!!

Oh i agree with you on this one. He isn't the same player nor will he ever be. He is on the decline that's for sure. I am wondering if it's the "name syndrome" that teams sometimes get. "Oh he has been with us forever, we need to keep him around" type mentality. Not to mention player salaries have been on the increase for years and that does need to stop.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, is that some kind of rule? It seems like Mayberry has been back and forth from the minors to the majors for years.

yeah.. i don't pay any attention to that stuff. i happened to catch it a while ago though while reading up on hernandez..

The Phillies have said on numerous occasions that Hernandez is out of options, which means he must make the team out of spring training in 2014 or be placed on waivers. A player receives three option years and he can be sent to the minors an infinite amount of times during those years. Hernandez was added to the Phillies' 40-man roster prior to the 2011 season. He was optioned at the conclusion of spring training in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Thus, he has used his three option years.

But the rare chance at a fourth year exists. From Baseball America:

Major League Baseball grants a fourth option to teams when a player has five or fewer professional seasons under his belt but already has burned through three optional assignments. For this purpose, the Collective Bargaining Agreement credits a player with a season of service when he spends 90 or more days on the active list during a season.

Hernandez was signed as a 16-year-old from Venezuela. He spent partial seasons in the Venezuelan Summer League, Gulf Coast League and New York-Pennsylvania League from 2007-10. He did not accrue 90 days in any of those seasons.

His first full season was 2011; he now has three. So he fits the criteria of having five or fewer professional seasons. He has burned through three optional assignments. He appears eligible for a fourth option year.

Hernandez is not automatically granted this; the Phillies must apply for it. The team and player would benefit from it, especially because an everyday role does not seem likely in 2014. Hernandez turns 24 next May. The Phillies would probably prefer to have him stashed in the minors as insurance while he continues his development, rather than a utility player in the majors. (Just use Freddy Galvis as an example.)

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the 2-year deal with Utley. He's producing with 15 homers, seems healthy, and plays aggressively, although I was a little worried when I heard that he slammed into the catcher last trying to score. (I was happy that the 1210 radio signal was clear in Ohio where I'm traveling). With Revere, Asche, Ruf, and Brown the Phillies have the makings of a good team to build around. Utley's legs will always be there but the Phillies should have enough infield help from the minors with Franco included in the mix over the next few years. Once the lineup becomes stable, however it works out, fixing the relief pitching is a current priority.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of thought it was inevitable that ruben would try to extend utley's contract, but i wish it was only one year. still, the fact that's it's only two years, and not three, is great. i agree that we have payroll flexibility, so it's not like he is going to really limit our other signings. since it was only for two years, i'm not all that pissed that he was extended. hopefully we are granted that fourth year option or whatever it's called with cesar hernandez.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This extension has the feel of Rollins' contract. It is somewhat of a weight but the weight is not forever like Howard's contract which according to John Kruk is rapidly becoming an albatross the Phillies are either brain-dead about or they are totally viewing Howard as coming back to production worthy of the last four years of his contract. The former is a possibility given the nonsense brain-dead continues to do on a consistent basis. The latter is simply unrealistic. So, Kruk is dead-on. The question is whether brain-dead will ever recognize what has occurred with Howard and his contract and the effect it is having on this team.