• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Simms on Andrew Luck

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simms never said he had a weak arm.

I know, but didn't this debate evolve into that (plus my exaggerative sarcasm)? I know the post I quoted refered to the OP and thus Simms, but saying that the debate was ridiculous seemed to incorprate by reference the rest of the argument. I was being facetious in my sarcasm, stretching the fact that Luck doesn't have the same WR options or offensive strategy to go deep enough to satisfy the critics (scheme and personnel oriented) to further take that criticism to the extreme (that he can't - thus the sarcasm). I guess like humor, if it has to be explained, it isn't that good. :(

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Clayton on KNBR yesterday:

"I have no idea what Phil Simms was talking about. Andrew Luck is the best pure quarterback prospect I've ever seen."

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrew Luck Taking Risks vs USC

3:11 - Misses into double coverage; heavy pressure
4:48 - Just barely off the target; Good pocket/rolls left
5:15 - Throws into heavy coverage; Good pocket
5:40 - Miscommunication with WR ;Blitz gets picked up

[YOUTUBE]b--MkxLnvJk[/YOUTUBE]

00:10 - High pass completed(nearly undercut); No Pressure
00:20 - Throws pass over to the far sideline(nearly picked); Good pocket/steps-up
00:56 - Dig route perfectly placed (coverage is good); No pressure
5:38 - Drops ball between coverage; Minimal pressure
9:03 - Misses into double coverage; Pressured

Of the 40 passes during last week's game vs USC, I'd consider nine of them risky, which is more than I expected. In the first video you can see that Luck should have probably been picked off twice versus once in the second video.

The fade routes to the TEs I didn't include because throwing a fade route to (Fleener or Toilolo) into single coverage in the endzone is generally a safe throw.

Luck has four NFL caliber receivers in Whalen, Owusu, Fleener, and Toilolo to go along with Martin and DeCastro on the OL and Stepfan Taylor will probably find a roster because he can pass block.

[YOUTUBE]QcvSDUMw-XQ[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a side by side with Stafford when he was at Georgia. Blatant difference in degrees of difficulty.

I don't doubt that Luck can succeed at the NFL level, I said before he compares very well to Roethlisberger(minus risk taking). But I'm wondering if he'll be able to do it on his own - without the cast support. He's untested right now. Pac-12 defenses aren't going let us fans see if he can tap into the ability of forcing the ball into coverage. USC is the best defense he has faced and he could have easily thrown three to four picks. What's going to happen if he faces and SEC team in a bowl game? Heck, what's going to happen when he faces Notre Dame, who has the best defense on their schedule?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are a lot of pompous blowhards that masquerade as NFL analysts but Simms is particularly bad. He even rubs his colleagues the wrong way. Apparently he is very difficult to work with. Didn't he get in a fight with a guy he was interviewing and get himself suspended from CBS?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mozart, the Whalen you are thinking of as NFL calibre is a Cinci Bengal. The Owusu you are thinking of hasn't been a player since his soph year. He's been literally hobbled ever since and his stock will be hard to rebuild now that he's still hobbled as a Senior. Ryan Whalen and Doug Baldwin were the guys last season. At this point Owusu is not the same player, not even close. He looks 3 steps slower and just shed a knee brace for the first time in memory.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he might have three NFL calibre TEs in Fleener, Ertz, and Toilolo. Toi needs to show he can stay healthy for more than two games though. (sarcasm on Toi)

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mozart, the Whalen you are thinking of as NFL calibre is a Cinci Bengal. The Owusu you are thinking of hasn't been a player since his soph year. He's been literally hobbled ever since and his stock will be hard to rebuild now that he's still hobbled as a Senior. Ryan Whalen and Doug Baldwin were the guys last season. At this point Owusu is not the same player, not even close. He looks 3 steps slower and just shed a knee brace for the first time in memory.

Thanks for the correction. Thought that was last year's Whalen, but in Owusu's case I think he would be less hobbled if Andrew Luck didn't throw him into oncoming safeties. I've only watched Stanford vs Colorado, WSU, and USC this year (So, you probably have a clearer picture of what's happening) but in those three games Owusu has gotten annihilated twice.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. Toilolo is down. I guess I wasn't being sarcastic. Owusu flashed some old speed earlier. Look out.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. Toilolo is down. I guess I wasn't being sarcastic. Owusu flashed some old speed earlier. Look out.

Yup, and they are already without their #2 TE.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Owusu got knocked the fuck out, AGAIN. He lowered his head right into the path of the defender's helmet.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top of the helmet right into his ear hole, that is not a good sign for him. Might be the end of his career with too many concussions.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Top of the helmet right into his ear hole, that is not a good sign for him. Might be the end of his career with too many concussions.

Seriously. Take a chance on that Stanford education if you want to continue to live a long health normal life.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Either this announcer is an idiot or I am. I know which play he's talking about when he brought up the PSU vs Illinois game. Last week Scheelhause scrambled out for a 9~ yard gain, he was looking in the direction of going further outside, and he got blown up on the play. Difference between that and this is 'that' Scheelhause was definitely not in a defenseless position, 'this' with Owusu was arguable.

Can't find a video of it though ...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either this announcer is an idiot or I am. I know which play he's talking about when he brought up the PSU vs Illinois game. Last week Scheelhause scrambled out for a 9~ yard gain, he was looking in the direction of going further outside, and he got blown up on the play. Difference between that and this is 'that' Scheelhause was definitely not in a defenseless position, 'this' with Owusu was arguable.

Can't find a video of it though ...

Or both :couch2:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Are you makin' fun of me?

images