• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF Ranks the Lions 11th in league

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can believe that......11th in terms of Roster talent I believe.....The ability to play as a team and be put into the right scheme is not discussed in the article......Where does PFF rank the Lions coaching staff? I'm assuming they can't rank the coaching staff because it's the first year......The Lions will soar or crash and burn based on the Staff....Plenty of Talent on the team.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can believe that......11th in terms of Roster talent I believe.....The ability to play as a team and be put into the right scheme is not discussed in the article......Where does PFF rank the Lions coaching staff? I'm assuming they can't rank the coaching staff because it's the first year......The Lions will soar or crash and burn based on the Staff....Plenty of Talent on the team.

Agree 100% Muzz... What this staff and what these players can or can't do with it is scary as hell to ponder?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% Muzz... What this staff and what these players can or can't do with it is scary as hell to ponder?

Careful Gandy . Agreeing with me is not a popular option/opinion.

The team has the talent but when contracts, offield issues, drugs, arrests come into play, You have no continuity and therefore not a team.

So the Staff will be responsible for the success or failure of this team. No One denies the talent. So if the Lions go 6-10 the kool-aid drinkers will say "It was the coaches first year Blah Blah Blah" Andy Reid went to K.C. turn that crap program around in one summer.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many spots did Durham move em up in the rankings?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what I said in the other post. NFC is stacked and Lions are 7th. I have them 6th or 7th depending how bad Carolina falls this year and how good Philly becomes. AZ is also in the mix. Its unfortunate that it is so lopsided. Lions would make the playoffs in the AFC easily IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what I said in the other post. NFC is stacked and Lions are 7th. I have them 6th or 7th depending how bad Carolina falls this year and how good Philly becomes. AZ is also in the mix. Its unfortunate that it is so lopsided. Lions would make the playoffs in the AFC easily IMO.

IMO we look at what other them have in the way of talent and factor in the Lions ability to fail in the most inopportune time.

Arizona won 10 games in a tough division and I still think the Lions have more talent. The Lions ini shed behind the Packers and Bears and I think the same about them. But we are always waiting for that other shoe to drop. The Lions will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Detroit has talent, enough to win IMO but do we have a management system and coaching staff that will get them their? Detroit's talent is better than the Rams but Jeff Fischer is their head coach and everyone seems to be talking about the Rams challenging for a playoff spot.

Until the management takes the next step I think we will forever be waiting for that meltdown we seem to get every year in one shape or another.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO we look at what other them have in the way of talent and factor in the Lions ability to fail in the most inopportune time.

Arizona won 10 games in a tough division and I still think the Lions have more talent. The Lions ini shed behind the Packers and Bears and I think the same about them. But we are always waiting for that other shoe to drop. The Lions will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Detroit has talent, enough to win IMO but do we have a management system and coaching staff that will get them their? Detroit's talent is better than the Rams but Jeff Fischer is their head coach and everyone seems to be talking about the Rams challenging for a playoff spot.

Until the management takes the next step I think we will forever be waiting for that meltdown we seem to get every year in one shape or another.

This does not make much sense. Management is responsible for getting the talent, they don't get involved in the games. You cant say we have enough talent to win but it is managements fault that they don't. If we have the talent and are not winning then it falls on the coaches. We had the most inept HC in recent football history, not to mention 2 of the most predictable coordinators I have ever seen. Hopefully this new staff will take us in the right direction.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds about right based on roster talent. I guess the question would be, "Name teams whose roster you would trade for, straight up, for one year."

Seattle
Green Bay
San Fran (though I wouldn't trade for the long term)
New England
Denver
New Orleans

Maybe
Carolina
Indianapolis
St. Louis
Philly
Cincinnati

11th is about right.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does not make much sense. Management is responsible for getting the talent, they don't get involved in the games. You cant say we have enough talent to win but it is managements fault that they don't. If we have the talent and are not winning then it falls on the coaches. We had the most inept HC in recent football history, not to mention 2 of the most predictable coordinators I have ever seen. Hopefully this new staff will take us in the right direction.

So Schwartz and Linehan didn't have a role in the Lions record?

Mayhew not having a viable #2 receiver ready for a playoff team.

The wide 9?

Scheme, depth, contracts ( ability to be flexible ) all are management concerns. All the talent doesn't matter if they are not put in a position to excel. Levy had a great season last year but the past seasons how many times had he lined up as middle or strong lb? Put the guys in the best position to excel.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Schwartz and Linehan didn't have a role in the Lions record?

Mayhew not having a viable #2 receiver ready for a playoff team.

The wide 9?

Scheme, depth, contracts ( ability to be flexible ) all are management concerns. All the talent doesn't matter if they are not put in a position to excel. Levy had a great season last year but the past seasons how many times had he lined up as middle or strong lb? Put the guys in the best position to excel.

That is coaching, not management. Management is Ford, Mayhew, Lewand, and Xanders. Shwartz Linehan, Cunnigham and the like is coaching.

Management has filled the talent gaps with the exception of CB. Up to the new coaches to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So PFF didn't deem Jason Jones as a poor starter? Or whoever the fuck they picked as our starting corner opposite Slay? But they did grade Tiny Dancer as "good". A little over a year since NFL GMs said he was the worst player at his position. Interesting...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So PFF didn't deem Jason Jones as a poor starter? Or whoever the fuck they picked as our starting corner opposite Slay? But they did grade Tiny Dancer as "good". A little over a year since NFL GMs said he was the worst player at his position. Interesting...

The CB opposite Slay would be Mathis, and he graded out pretty well last year. As for Dom, I'm not a fan of the dude all that much, but he graded out as the 2nd best center in the league last season; I think perhaps that GM had a bone to pick.

Not much thoughts on Jones- he didn't play enough to really merit a grade, imo (at least not a positive one). Maybe they consider Taylor to be the starter?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry about Dom. He only has 1 year left, maybe 2. Swanson will be ready to step in. Hopefully Dom does not drop off too much though.

Taylor is improving rapidly and will probably split snaps with Jones. Just because he didn't come into the league as star does not mean he can not be one. Kids progress and peak at different rates and times. he could just be a late bloomer.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is coaching, not management. Management is Ford, Mayhew, Lewand, and Xanders. Shwartz Linehan, Cunnigham and the like is coaching.

Management has filled the talent gaps with the exception of CB. Up to the new coaches to make it work.

Sorry but IMO Coaches are part of management.

They voice their opinion on draft, FA, and schemes. It wasn't Mayhew or Millen that took the wind in overtime. And Marinelli believed Mike Williams was a stud WR as much as Millen.

Detroit has talent but lacks organizational common sense!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but IMO Coaches are part of management.

They voice their opinion on draft, FA, and schemes. It wasn't Mayhew or Millen that took the wind in overtime. And Marinelli believed Mike Williams was a stud WR as much as Millen.

Detroit has talent but lacks organizational common sense!

Imo, in the context of this discussion coaching and management are two separate entities.

Coaches voice their opinion on FA and the draft, but the ultimate call comes from the GM. As for schemes, those are usually up to the coaches, although a GM will generally bring in a coaching staff to run a scheme he's comfortable with.

While both groups do work together, it's management's job to find and sign talented players and it's the coaching staff's job to maximize that talent...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, in the context of this discussion coaching and management are two separate entities.

Coaches voice their opinion on FA and the draft, but the ultimate call comes from the GM. As for schemes, those are usually up to the coaches, although a GM will generally bring in a coaching staff to run a scheme he's comfortable with.

While both groups do work together, it's management's job to find and sign talented players and it's the coaching staff's job to maximize that talent...

Exactly:10:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they had jim schwartz still they would be ranked in the top ten. This is the phenomenon commonally known as the Schwartz Effect.