• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF on the Battle of Ohio....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where we're disagreeing. I never said anything about game management or performance as it relates to outside sources. What I did say about that was I don't trust what Marvin is saying given how they treat Andy in practice. If they can't say anything to him behind closed doors, they won't call him out in the media. Additionally, Marvin has made a habit of going overboard with his standing up for his players (see: Maualuga and Gresham). Heck he called out an entire website for it and couldn't help himself but to swear while doing so.

What I said is that we have NO idea of what happens in practice. I don't understand why you treat that report (how Andy is treated in practice) as fact. That info could be 'leaked' by any sort of outside source or inside source. That's all I meant. In general, I believe very little of the rumors that are reported. Most of these rumors are put out with an agenda.... And the agenda has very little to do with keeping the public informed.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I said is that we have NO idea of what happens in practice. I don't understand why you treat that report (how Andy is treated in practice) as fact. That info could be 'leaked' by any sort of outside source or inside source. That's all I meant. In general, I believe very little of the rumors that are reported. Most of these rumors are put out with an agenda.... And the agenda has very little to do with keeping the public informed.

That is a fair stance. But for all the same reasons and then some, Marvin can't just be taken for his word either. And that is the point I've been trying to make. I just happen to put more faith in those same outside sources more than anything Marvin says.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a fair stance. But for all the same reasons and then some, Marvin can't just be taken for his word either. And that is the point I've been trying to make. I just happen to put more faith in those same outside sources more than anything Marvin says.

Marvin could be the 'source' of the outside sources! He has a very special position in this organization..... Mikey has given him a lot of power to dictate the messages that leave the building. I don't trust Marvin for shit -- But I do think he has more power than most NFL coaches.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why positive reinforcement is not a good thing. Some people respond better to positive feedback versus get up in their grill until they decide to give in and play better.

I am like that. I get positive reinforcement, I work hard but I don't stress to try and force myself to get better. I have someone in my face, I force myself to do better, which causes me to push, stress, and actually do worse.

You have to know who your audience is, and not every QB needs to be treated the same. Not every QB needs to be berated until they play better. Dalton may not be that type of personality. Why berate him if it is only going to make him worse? Encourage, support, help him get better, that may be Andy Dalton.

I can see how some people on this board would hate that approach as they are pretty much hard asses, and call him a ginger or a pussy for not being able to take it. But each individual has to be handled in a certain way, and maybe this is the best approach for Andy. Maybe Marvin knows that Andy responds better to positive reinforcement, and Andy's biggest critic is himself in practice, so there is no point in adding to the frustration he is already adding to himself.

Trying to push yourself well beyond your breaking point is not good for the individual or the team. It leads to more mistakes, less accuracy, less leadership. Even when Andy is struggling, his teammates still believe he can lead them back for a win. That says a lot about Andy and his role as a leader on this team.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why positive reinforcement is not a good thing. Some people respond better to positive feedback versus get up in their grill until they decide to give in and play better.

I am like that. I get positive reinforcement, I work hard but I don't stress to try and force myself to get better. I have someone in my face, I force myself to do better, which causes me to push, stress, and actually do worse.

You have to know who your audience is, and not every QB needs to be treated the same. Not every QB needs to be berated until they play better. Dalton may not be that type of personality. Why berate him if it is only going to make him worse? Encourage, support, help him get better, that may be Andy Dalton.

I can see how some people on this board would hate that approach as they are pretty much hard asses, and call him a ginger or a pussy for not being able to take it. But each individual has to be handled in a certain way, and maybe this is the best approach for Andy. Maybe Marvin knows that Andy responds better to positive reinforcement, and Andy's biggest critic is himself in practice, so there is no point in adding to the frustration he is already adding to himself.

Trying to push yourself well beyond your breaking point is not good for the individual or the team. It leads to more mistakes, less accuracy, less leadership. Even when Andy is struggling, his teammates still believe he can lead them back for a win. That says a lot about Andy and his role as a leader on this team.

I'm sure he's a swell guy, the think about QB in the NFL is that is requires a lot of intangibles. Not everyone can do it, being a superior athlete isn't enough (Tebow), having a great arm isn't enough (Jeff Blake), being an accurate passer isn't enough (there are dozens of guys who didn't make it)
Andy Dalton's downfall will be thinking that he's better than the average NFL QB and demanding more money than he's worth. It's going to happen, when he goes some place where there isn't an AJ Green to huck it to, that's when he'll fade into obscurity.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he's a swell guy, the think about QB in the NFL is that is requires a lot of intangibles. Not everyone can do it, being a superior athlete isn't enough (Tebow), having a great arm isn't enough (Jeff Blake), being an accurate passer isn't enough (there are dozens of guys who didn't make it)
Andy Dalton's downfall will be thinking that he's better than the average NFL QB and demanding more money than he's worth. It's going to happen, when he goes some place where there isn't an AJ Green to huck it to, that's when he'll fade into obscurity.

Problem is he will get the money here and we will not ever let AJ Green escape from here. So not sure how your scenario is going to work out.