• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF on the Battle of Ohio....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Jones is outmatched, he's outmatched. that said, I think he would excel under better instruction.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton never should have thrown the first one. Bad play from the outset. On the second one, wide receiver A.J. Green didn't respond in the route or to the ball.

Which is what seems to have spurred Lewis's comments from Monday when asked what he'd tell Dalton going into the bye.

"I tell Andy what I keep telling him all the time—you’ve got to get those guys to play to your standard. You’ve got to get them right, and it’s up to you that if they’re not right, you’ve got to make the corrections," Lewis said. "That’s what his job is. As coaches we’ve got to make sure that he’s not having the brunt on his shoulders all the time. We’ve got to get him protected; we can’t get him jostled around and get beaten right away.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even Dalton is not going to ignore a wide open WR for 3 straight weeks. So while I agree there is no way I could see each play to know for sure, there is more to it than just Dalton sucks, like your stance is. There have been a few plays I have seen the replays and they show a little more of the field and Jones is just standing next to a defender, so from this two points, and Marvin Lewis statement, I believe Jones is one of if not the biggest culprit as Dalton's rise and fall has correlated to Jones rise and fall as well.

Dalton needs to work on and gain the confidence to be able to throw a receiver open. All of his other deficiencies reading defenses, etc. have been discussed ad nauseum.

That's not to say the Bengals couldn't use a better #2 option, but much of the issue falls on Dalton.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dalton needs to work on and gain the confidence to be able to throw a receiver open. All of his other deficiencies reading defenses, etc. have been discussed ad nauseum.

That's not to say the Bengals couldn't use a better #2 option, but much of the issue falls on Dalton.

It seems like he's so seldom got any swagger. Detroit he was in the zone and looked relaxed and confident. Ever since the Miami game it seems like his confidence is just going down (kind of like at the end of last year). Coming out of the bye, it will be imperative for him to get in a good groove and just seeing the field better. He's definitely regressing before our eyes.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like he's so seldom got any swagger. Detroit he was in the zone and looked relaxed and confident. Ever since the Miami game it seems like his confidence is just going down (kind of like at the end of last year). Coming out of the bye, it will be imperative for him to get in a good groove and just seeing the field better. He's definitely regressing before our eyes.

Dalton is affected by the outcome on the field more than he or Marvin wants to admit.

Dalton starts struggling, he starts to force stuff, or he gets overly cautious and holds the ball too long. As problems start mounting, he gets worse and worse. This bye week was certainly needed for Dalton to forget about his past few weeks, hopefully the wind stays clam in the next couple games and his WR's start breaking their routes at the right depth.

Our running game could certainly get a kick too to help the situation.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dalton is affected by the outcome on the field more than he or Marvin wants to admit.

Dalton starts struggling, he starts to force stuff, or he gets overly cautious and holds the ball too long. As problems start mounting, he gets worse and worse. This bye week was certainly needed for Dalton to forget about his past few weeks, hopefully the wind stays clam in the next couple games and his WR's start breaking their routes at the right depth.

I don't know how much I put on his WR's. I mean, it's hard for me to feel sorry for a guy that has AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Eifert, Gresham, Jones, Sanu and a good O-line. Yeah, they fuck up the routes every so often and drop some balls. Goes the other way too. Dalton has just thrown some atrocious passes that begged to be intercepted but luckily found their way to the ground. But to me, it seems like his biggest issue right now is that he's thinking too much instead of seeing the play and just gripping it and ripping it.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Where have you read they aren't breaking their routes at the correct depth?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where have you read they aren't breaking their routes at the correct depth?

On the second INT wide receiver A.J. Green didn't respond in the route or to the ball.

Which is what seems to have spurred Lewis's comments from Monday when asked what he'd tell Dalton going into the bye.

"I tell Andy what I keep telling him all the time—you’ve got to get those guys to play to your standard. You’ve got to get them right, and it’s up to you that if they’re not right, you’ve got to make the corrections," Lewis said.

Based off those comments, I tend to think that some of our WR's are not running crisp routes, or not reading coverage or hot routes sometimes.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton transcripts: Browns

Under the question "Does the way he plays A.J. dictate how the other guys are covered?"

whos-your-daddy-lg1.gif

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? What does he need to prove to you?

:lol:

Ha. Well played, but I will respond to him anyways, because I am like that. I am capable of answering a direct question, even if it was vague.

It is in an article on the Bengals.com website if you want to look it up.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha. Well played, but I will respond to him anyways, because I am like that. I am capable of answering a direct question, even if it was vague.

I already posted it.

Do you have me on ignore Crash? :bawling:

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

"I tell Andy what I keep telling him all the time—you’ve got to get those guys to play to your standard. You’ve got to get them right, and it’s up to you that if they’re not right, you’ve got to make the corrections," Lewis said.[/I]

I always thought that was the coach's job

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Anytime you quote someone you should provide a reference. Common sense. And especially when it's a snippet of possible more context. Probably too much to ask from you though.

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dalton never should have thrown the first one. Bad play from the outset. On the second one, wide receiver A.J. Green didn't respond in the route or to the ball.

"I tell Andy what I keep telling him all the time—you’ve got to get those guys to play to your standard. You’ve got to get them right, and it’s up to you that if they’re not right, you’ve got to make the corrections," Lewis said. "That’s what his job is. As coaches we’ve got to make sure that he’s not having the brunt on his shoulders all the time. We’ve got to get him protected; we can’t get him jostled around and get beaten right away.

Oh and you should be careful to not italicize your own opinion along with whatever you're referencing. It makes it seem the entire excerpt is part of an article.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
grammar_time.jpg

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you quote someone you should provide a reference. Common sense. And especially when it's a snippet of possible more context. Probably too much to ask from you though.

:laugh3: