• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF on the Battle of Ohio....

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ReFo: Browns @ Bengals, Week 11

Rick Drummond | November 18, 2013

Share by Email

Thoughts of Cleveland closing to within a half game of the AFC North division lead were looking more reasonable at the end of the first quarter in this Week 11 all-Ohio matchup between the Browns and Bengals. A 13-0 lead built on the back of two Andy Dalton to Joe Haden picks certainly was an encouraging sight, but all would come crashing down in the 31-point Cincinnati-dominated second frame.

An interception to end the first quarter immediately preceded a 25-yard score to open the second, then a tricky throwback pass from Mohamed Sanu to Giovani Bernard set up a Cincy TD, a blocked punt was taken in for another, as was a scoop & score fumble return and by the time Mike Nugent hit a 41-yard field goal to wrap up the half, the game felt like it was over.

Add in a steady rain after halftime and a Cleveland offense unable to push the ball downfield and the Bengals head to their bye with a two-and-a-half game lead over the knotted division below them.

Cleveland – Three Performances of Note

Cautious Campbell

With 9:40 to go in the third quarter, Jason Campbell launched a thing of beauty deep down the left sideline to a striding Josh Gordon that was hauled in 37 yards from the line of scrimmage and taken another 37 for the score. If that were the only throw you saw in the game, you might guess that Campbell was having an attacking and accurate day, but that idea couldn’t be further from the truth. The painfully careful Campbell (-6.5) didn’t complete another attempt aimed more than 10 yards downfield all afternoon despite dropping back 60 times. Sure, there was a weather factor to consider, but the bottom line was his team was trailing from early in the second quarter and 44 short passes weren’t going to turn the tides.

Looking for Footing

A relative lack of pass rush impact to this point has colored Barkevious Mingo’s rookie season but it was his run defense (-2.7) that hit his overall grade hardest this week. Taken inside, kicked out, or just over-pursuing on his own, Mingo was no match for the blocking matchups he faced, primarily the Cincinnati tight ends. With his snaps limited for the fourth straight week since returning to a reserve role, he saw 19 run plays with little of a positive note to show for it. Generating nothing as a pass rusher and having troubles on special teams as well all worked to turn out a less-then-memorable day for the young linebacker who is now carrying a -10.0 grade on the season and struggling to find the success he enjoyed in the season’s first week.

O-Line Positives

A pair of the leaders at their respective positions, center Alex Mack (+2.3) was back to form this week after falling off schedule in his two previous outings and left tackle Joe Thomas (+3.9) continued his green-graded ways. Mitchell Schwartz, over on the right, even took the cue and turned in a two-way positive (run blocking and pass blocking) as well. While Mack traded blows with Domata Peko on the inside and Thomas saw a lot of Michael Johnson, Schwartz got a heavy dose of Carlos Dunlap and did a respectable job – half of the trouble he found came in garbage time with the game out of reach late in the fourth quarter and Dunlap charging upfield with no concern for anything but getting to Campbell’s drop.

Cincinnati – Three Performances of

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati – Three Performances of Note

Invisible Green

With much made of the Joe Haden-A.J. Green showdown each time these teams meet, this instance was squashed quickly with the issue not being forced past the first quarter. After motioning Green behind the formation to set up a swing pass away from Haden’s side on Cincinnati’s opening play (an effort that resulted in a catch for -1 yards that was washed away by penalty) Green’s lone catch came on a short stop route that Haden closed on quickly, delivering a crunching blow short of the sticks. That was it, Green’s day was done. He’d see two more first-quarter targets, but neither made their way to him, both ending up in Haden’s hands instead.

A Burfict Day

In what was as active a day as you’ll see from a linebacker, Vontaze Burfict’s missile-like persona was on full display. Logging five defensive stops, he was a downhill force not only against run plays but – taking advantage of the check-down happy Browns offense – came up to make those unlucky enough to be running the under routes in the passing game pay as well. His forced fumble and subsequent scoop & score in the final minutes before halftime (Q2 2:55) was the signature moment, but a late statement dislodging the ball from Brian Tyms on a crossing route showed his pace carried through to the end of the game. An unnecessary roughness penalty and getting caught handled by a couple blocks were his only down marks on the day, one which – pending final review – would log as one of the best we’ve seen from a 4-3 outside linebacker.

Ears Pinned Back

A dream opportunity for a pass rusher, knowing every play is going to be a drop-back so you can charge forward without worry, is essentially what Carlos Dunlap saw on Sunday. He got to get after the passer on 55 snaps and along the way notched four knockdowns (a sack and three hits) to go with a pile of pressures. His grade was muted by the fact that the bulk of them came either unblocked, in pursuit of scrambles, or solidly into Cleveland’s extended 19-play, 18-pass garbage-time drive late in the fourth, but the message remains – give Dunlap a sure target and he’ll bring it home. He has now rushed the QB on more snaps than any other 4-3 DE this year and his 51 total pressures are third at the position.

Game Notes

- Andy Dalton took 10 shots targeted 10 yards or more downfield. He completed two to his guys and two to Joe Haden (and those were on back-to-back passes).

- Linebacker Vincent Rey saw 14 passes targeted into or under his coverage and nine were completed but they produced just a 4.3 yard average per attempt.

- 46 of Campbell’s 60 drop-backs saw him hold the ball for 2.6 seconds or longer. On those, his passer rating was a paltry 39.1.

PFF Game Ball

His inescapable presence in this game makes it an easy choice, Cincinnati’s Vontaze Burfict takes home the game ball.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tez got a preliminary grade of +7.0.......even though he got another personal foul......he was easily the game's dominant player........

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tez is a great player. I hope he continues to mature and learns to channel some of his bullshit plays into productive plays.

Can you imagine how dominant this D would be if Leon and Gino were healthy and Dre wasn't a complete bust?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF likes them some Brandon Ghee....+3 over 60+ snaps.....now if he could finally stay on the field awhile.....

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tez ranks 3rd overall among 4-3 outside backers, and that's with a -4.6 for his nine penalties......He is first in coverage and third vs the run.....

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Harrison ranks fourth among 4-3 outside backers, at +10.6 on only 276 snaps.............

NCBengal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the numbers for Dre on defense or special teams? I felt like he was way more visible this last game for both.

What are Andy's numbers?

I have been reading more and more that receivers and our O line could be cause for Andy's troubles... not totally convinced but the arguments seem logical. I want the guy to be successful for our team's sake. But I cannot keep holding my breath when he comes onto the field.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tez is a great player. I hope he continues to mature and learns to channel some of his bullshit plays into productive plays.

Can you imagine how dominant this D would be if Leon and Gino were healthy and Dre wasn't a complete bust?

I wouldn't change a thing about Tez. Part of what makes him great is his attitude.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What are the numbers for Dre on defense or special teams? I felt like he was way more visible this last game for both.

What are Andy's numbers?

I have been reading more and more that receivers and our O line could be cause for Andy's troubles... not totally convinced but the arguments seem logical. I want the guy to be successful for our team's sake. But I cannot keep holding my breath when he comes onto the field.

Dalton was -2.3.

Nobody on the o-line had a lower than -0.2 score in pass blocking. Whitworth was the only grade higher than +0.2 at +2.1 in pass blocking.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

What are Andy's numbers?

What was up with Dre pulling his arms back like he was flying on the pass to Gordon? A lot of time it seems like he's right with his man, he just has terrible instincts in terms of locating the ball and defending it.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dre was +0.8 overall. -0.1 in pass coverage but +0.8 in pass rush.

He had the ball thrown at him 4 times for 2 receptions and a total of 76 yards. 1 of those receptions was for 74 yards with 37 yards in the air and 37 yac for a TD. The other pass would've had to been 1 yard passed the LOS.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What was up with Dre pulling his arms back like he was flying on the pass to Gordon? A lot of time it seems like he's right with his man, he just has terrible instincts in terms of locating the ball and defending it.

He was in position to make the tackle after the reception but he had absolutely no clue his man even caught the ball.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was in position to make the tackle after the reception but he had absolutely no clue his man even caught the ball.

the guy has absolutely no feel for the game. None. And the way he was reacting I thought he tore his ACL before the half or broke an ankle. He's a gigantic puss.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What are Andy's numbers?

Marvin was on ESPN yesterday. He alluded to receivers failing to win their one on one matchups. He said the first pick was a miscommunication between Dalton and Green. He also said the line needs to protect him better. Not sure what he meant by that, since according to PFF the line still ranks second behind only Denver in pass protection. I think Dalton gets even better protection by the coaching staff who refuse to hold him publicly responsible for his mistakes. At least Marvin didn't try to excuse the second pick which was just a horrible throw.

NCBengal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Alabama CBs have struggled in the NFL. Look at Milliner in NY. He is a rookie but his nick name should be toast.

Back to Andy.... Let's just hope Ginger gets his mojo back and he and Green communicate better. He has to start targeting Jones, TEs and Sanu and then go back to Green if he has a prayer of getting his completions back up. Think about the games we moved the ball at will. The ball was getting spread around a lot.

Imagine if we run the table in Dec.... I might believe there is a God again.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Marvin the ball was getting spread around so well because other guys were winning their matchups more. I know it seems to me like Andy has forgotten Marvin Jones again, and Eifert also seems to be largely ignored. As far as Dre goes, he just needs to play more and stay health enough to get some of the rust off imo. Can't really call him a bust because he hasn't played enough to bust. He'll get his chance eventually though. Look how long they have waited on Ghee.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Marvin the ball was getting spread around so well because other guys were winning their matchups more. I know it seems to me like Andy has forgotten Marvin Jones again, and Eifert also seems to be largely ignored. As far as Dre goes, he just needs to play more and stay health enough to get some of the rust off imo. Can't really call him a bust because he hasn't played enough to bust. He'll get his chance eventually though. Look how long they have waited on Ghee.

I don't think Andy forgot about Marvin, of all the people Marvin could be talking about not winning their matchups, I think Marvin is a clear cut winner on that front. He has not been open AT ALL the past few weeks. With him not being open, consequently has also resulted in Dalton being horrible and forcing plays the last few weeks. Granted, that is not all on Marvin, Dalton is largely to blame for his poor decisions, but it has been apparent, while Marvin was breaking out, Dalton was having the stretch of his life, since Marvin has decided to get shut down, Dalton has gone into shut down mode with him.

Jones has been blanketed the last few weeks.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think Andy forgot about Marvin, of all the people Marvin could be talking about not winning their matchups, I think Marvin is a clear cut winner on that front. He has not been open AT ALL the past few weeks. With him not being open, consequently has also resulted in Dalton being horrible and forcing plays the last few weeks. Granted, that is not all on Marvin, Dalton is largely to blame for his poor decisions, but it has been apparent, while Marvin was breaking out, Dalton was having the stretch of his life, since Marvin has decided to get shut down, Dalton has gone into shut down mode with him.

Jones has been blanketed the last few weeks.

Rarely do you get to see what is happening on the other side of the field from where the ball is thrown, unless they show it on replay. There is no way you could possibly know this.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely do you get to see what is happening on the other side of the field from where the ball is thrown, unless they show it on replay. There is no way you could possibly know this.

Even Dalton is not going to ignore a wide open WR for 3 straight weeks. So while I agree there is no way I could see each play to know for sure, there is more to it than just Dalton sucks, like your stance is. There have been a few plays I have seen the replays and they show a little more of the field and Jones is just standing next to a defender, so from this two points, and Marvin Lewis statement, I believe Jones is one of if not the biggest culprit as Dalton's rise and fall has correlated to Jones rise and fall as well.