• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF Mock drafts

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done a few, but I think things are starting to shake out a bit more.

No OT's were there at 18 worth taking, and I didn't want to reach for Guyton there. Murphy, IMO, can grow into an NT and as a part of this DT rotation, I think would be a very good fit.

Added more depth at DE - they need more behind Sam and Hendrickson - and I think this guy with Murphy from last year give them some real options.

Got kind of lucky with Paul in round 3. I think he's a great guy at that spot to sit behind Brown at RT for a year, and could potentially slide in later this year if needed.

TE late in round 3....no WR's in any of the rounds were worth taking, IMO - a lot of slot guys, which I think Jones fills this year.

1711218760952.png

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that draft if it were to fall like that.

I think Newton can be very good as well. I like his ability to anchor a run defense, but still has enough explosiveness to be a legit pass rusher from the inside.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbits by JG here - makes you wonder if after a few years, Lou is deciding that having 1 big NT isn't the way anymore - and that rotating through a bunch of higher level 3-tech guys across the line will actually help more. They will be quicker, add more pressure on 1st down passing, and - likely - offer more in the way of longevity.

Or they've decided that they can get similar value out of those snaps with a veteran who simply wasn't going to get as much $$$$ and if they don't land someone in the draft they like, they will scour the 2ndary F/A market after the draft.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Reader wasn't as much part of our defense as I thought he was. I know after he got hurt the run defense looked like hell, but if that is all he was lining up as a NT, then I don't know. Both Murphy and Newton can get after the QB from the DT position.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Reader wasn't as much part of our defense as I thought he was. I know after he got hurt the run defense looked like hell, but if that is all he was lining up as a NT, then I don't know. Both Murphy and Newton can get after the QB from the DT position.
I think he was, but he was also hurt a lot...and teams are passing more and more on 1st down, which negates, to a degree, what a NT can do.

You then bring him off the field on, let's say, 2nd and 10 - and the other team decides to run...now your guys on the field are really set up for that....and then they pick up 4-5-6. Now it's 3rd down - and you still can't really bring Reader back onto the field.

I think the value for the position was just something the Bengals likely looked and and thought: If we are going to do this, unfortunately this isn't a position that is worth tying up that kind of money - we need more interior rush and that is where the money should be going.

Just an assumption on that last part by me, but I think it makes sense. Find a way to get a cheaper veteran and/or draft pick to rotate through that spot - but it clearly isn't as highly prioritized as I think we all thought it was...and likely including Lou to a degree.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals also sucked at complimentary football last year. I don't have good stats on it, but my memory is that a lot of the games where we reallys struggled against the run were the games that our offense couldn't do dick and we found ourselves behind. Add to it the fact that our punter probably truly flipped the field about 2 or 3 times the entire season, and our D was always in a bad spot. The best run defense is to take the other team out of the run game.... If we keep Tee, this will be the most dynamic and best pass blocking offense that we've had since Burrow was drafted. It's time to put up some points.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals also sucked at complimentary football last year. I don't have good stats on it, but my memory is that a lot of the games where we reallys struggled against the run were the games that our offense couldn't do dick and we found ourselves behind. Add to it the fact that our punter probably truly flipped the field about 2 or 3 times the entire season, and our D was always in a bad spot. The best run defense is to take the other team out of the run game.... If we keep Tee, this will be the most dynamic and best pass blocking offense that we've had since Burrow was drafted. It's time to put up some points.
Punting was a joke last year. They should have, 100%, dropped whoever it was and signed Ariza the minute he was cleared of all charges.

Early on in the year - the defense was so frantic being on the field as long as they were and as often as they were. At one point, I want to say 5-6 games into the season, the Bengals were the worst team in the NFL in terms of going 3-out on offense...going 3-out more than any team in the NFL.

Keep doing that from the 20, 25, and 30 yard line with a zero at punter means no matter how good your defense might be...eventually that dam wall is going to crack and break.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1711468268033.png

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punting was a joke last year. They should have, 100%, dropped whoever it was and signed Ariza the minute he was cleared of all charges.

Early on in the year - the defense was so frantic being on the field as long as they were and as often as they were. At one point, I want to say 5-6 games into the season, the Bengals were the worst team in the NFL in terms of going 3-out on offense...going 3-out more than any team in the NFL.

Keep doing that from the 20, 25, and 30 yard line with a zero at punter means no matter how good your defense might be...eventually that dam wall is going to crack and break.

Huber we let go
Robbins we signed, but he still isn't above average

do we give robbins a chance to improve, or move on?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huber we let go
Robbins we signed, but he still isn't above average

do we give robbins a chance to improve, or move on?
Robbins was so bad last year I would have cut him and called Chrisman to come back (Huber retired).

I mean - Robbins was otherwordly bad for a punter....Ariza would have flipped fields and at least given the defense more chances to get off the field...

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPJ provides depth on the IOL. Karras will be a free agent. I am ready to just address that position now, we need to get to a point where we have some continuity. I also think JPJ is going to be the most can't miss player available to us. Any of the 3 IOL guys goes down, he will be able to fill in, if not beat one of them out for their spot.

I grab Fisher for depth to. The Trent Brown signing was great, but he is also in a contract year and has had injury issues. Lets have a backup ready to protect Joe.

I add the sons of Jerry Rice and Frank Gore.

I think I get great value on McGlothern.

1711484196380.png

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbins was so bad last year I would have cut him and called Chrisman to come back (Huber retired).

I mean - Robbins was otherwordly bad for a punter....Ariza would have flipped fields and at least given the defense more chances to get off the field...
robbins was considered to be a steal in the draft for the Bengals, not sure what happened. I wonder what was different, other than perhaps the speed of the game, if you don't hurry up and punt you're going to get mauled in the NFL I guess.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be happy with any of the following guys drafted in the 1st by us:

Byron Murphy II
Johnny Newton
Brian Thomas Jr. (dependent upon Bengals trading Higgins for a late 1st after selecting Thomas though)
Taliese Fuaga
Amarius Mims
JC Latham

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1711728157315.png