• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pereira gets the rule wrong

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was reading this by Peter King, and figured I wanted to look into it:

The reason officials called no hold as two Ravens mugged 49er special teamer Bruce Miller on the 108-yard kickoff return for touchdown by Jacoby Jones in the Super Bowl: Miller would have had to be taken to the ground for it to be a penalty. Dumb, dumb rule. Miller was surrounded and held by two Ravens just as Jones sprinted by. The Competition Committee has to change that rule in 2013.

No, they don't have to change the rule, because the rule Pereira was apparently citing doesn't apply to kick returns. I'm not able to cut and paste for some reason, but the rule is that offensive holding will not be called "if the action is part of a double-team block in close line play." There is an exception to that rule when the defensive player is blocked to the ground. Last I checked, there's no such thing as "close line play" on a return. So Pereira is applying a rule that does not pertain to the situation at all. The holds on Miller should have been called under the rules. Such a joke.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reason officials called no hold as two Ravens mugged 49er special teamer Bruce Miller on the 108-yard kickoff return for touchdown by Jacoby Jones in the Super Bowl: Miller would have had to be taken to the ground for it to be a penalty. Dumb, dumb rule. Miller was surrounded and held by two Ravens just as Jones sprinted by. The Competition Committee has to change that rule in 2013.

No, they don't have to change the rule, because the rule Pereira was apparently citing doesn't apply to kick returns. I'm not able to cut and paste for some reason, but the rule is that offensive holding will not be called "if the action is part of a double-team block in close line play." There is an exception to that rule when the defensive player is blocked to the ground. Last I checked, there's no such thing as "close line play" on a return. So Pereira is applying a rule that does not pertain to the situation at all. The holds on Miller should have been called under the rules. Such a joke.

SportsHoopla 49ers Forum Posters = Smarter than Mike Pereira

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or paid less? (Or at least by different people for different things. I can't put it past him to misuse a rule that would conflict greatly with his profession's acts.)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I pointed this out last week when space highlighted this excuse. It has gone silent until now.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do you think an NFL spokesman is going to say "yep we really fucked up repeatedly" I don't. I think he is saving someones ass and the league image.

If it's ok to sandwich a player while one guy holds his waste, and the other hold his shoulder, then every team in the NFL would do it, because that's an easy big gain/ TD. Think back of all the holding calls that have brought back TDs on kick offs, then tell me how many of them took the player down. How many of them where as effective at locking a player out of the play?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think an NFL spokesman is going to say "yep we really fucked up repeatedly" I don't. I think he is saving someones ass and the league image.

If it's ok to sandwich a player while one guy holds his waste, and the other hold his shoulder, then every team in the NFL would do it, because that's an easy big gain/ TD. Think back of all the holding calls that have brought back TDs on kick offs, then tell me how many of them took the player down. How many of them where as effective at locking a player out of the play?

Bingo! Right there!!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, MH - Where did you find this?

Google search of the words Crimsomcrew quoted. I put quotes around it to make sure I had the exact words. If Crimson had paraphrased it, I would have looked up, "close-line play, hold, exception." Or "bullshit excuse for non-call No. 273846." The numbers are randomly, not sequentially, numbered. Referees have these ready at a moment's notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google search of the words Crimsomcrew quoted. I put quotes around it to make sure I had the exact words. If Crimson had paraphrased it, I would have looked up, "close-line play, hold, exception." Or "bullshit excuse for non-call No. 273846." The numbers are randomly, not sequentially, numbered. Referees have these ready at a moment's notice.

Cool - Thanks Man

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Frank Gore said the Ravens got away with one, he was wrong. Hell, Ray Lewis got away with at least two.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd hate to be the guy who had to hold his "waste". Yuk!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting article. Regarding the part about not throwing a flag on Hail Mary's, I think it's true. I can't remember a PI on a Hail Mary. I just watched the end of the 1989 Niners-Bengals Super Bowl. On the last play of the game, Esiason threw the ball deep, and it looked like a Niner defender hit a Bengals receiver way early. Does anyone else remember that?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You guys might want to check this out, another ref chimes in with the same answer:

Bruce Miller hold non-call: Putting as much of a bow on it as we can - Niners Nation

OK, let's talk about this play and thank you for the pic of the actual hold. The rule book states that holding will not be called if it is part of a double team block (in close line play). Mechanically the officiating dept. has expanded that to include kick plays.

He says its shaky, "appears egregious" and could have been called, but that this is how the refs generally deal with it.