• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pens

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
give them credit when they know they will lose a player they deal him. thus letting them go out and give up some youth and picks to get morrow. not saying it was a good deal they made but it did help.

they knew they werent going to sign staal and knew where he would be going in UFA. what do they do? they deal him get a former low first rounder AND get a low first round draft pick.

one thing i wish lou would change is either talk contract during the season or be willing to move a player before we lose him for nothing. parise we knew it was between us or the wild. same thing with neids we knew it was us or the ducks. use that leverage against the team.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give them credit when they know they will lose a player they deal him. thus letting them go out and give up some youth and picks to get morrow. not saying it was a good deal they made but it did help.

they knew they werent going to sign staal and knew where he would be going in UFA. what do they do? they deal him get a former low first rounder AND get a low first round draft pick.

one thing i wish lou would change is either talk contract during the season or be willing to move a player before we lose him for nothing. parise we knew it was between us or the wild. same thing with neids we knew it was us or the ducks. use that leverage against the team.

Wasn't it a high first rounder, like 7 overall?? As for Morrow, that was a great trade for them, exactly what they need. Nutjobs here in Pittsburgh think they need iginla, but Morrow fits what they need far more. They still need a defensive minded D-man.

If we start tanking without Kovy, hope Lou makes some deals, move a d-man or 2 while so many teams are in need of them.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess one good thing is Pitt was looking for the same thing we were (a top 6 winger) so that's one less team to compete with. I don't know much about the kid going to Dallas, but if Morrow has anything left in the tank it's a solid pickup for Pitt.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it was #9 in the draft they took some kid defenseman. solid pickup you get 2 top first round players for a player who you knew was going to leave anyway! who only centered your 3rd line.

yeah the deal was a good one. morrow adds grit they need and he wont really need to chip in that much not if your playing behind sid and malkin

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
also though a d man is moved......we have 8 move someone will ya! get something back!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they just made a depth move on D, getting Douglas Murray from the Sharks. Not sure what they gave up. Are dominos going to fall now? Curious to see if the arms race starts up.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess one good thing is Pitt was looking for the same thing we were (a top 6 winger) so that's one less team to compete with. I don't know much about the kid going to Dallas, but if Morrow has anything left in the tank it's a solid pickup for Pitt.

I don't know much about Joe Morrow, but my friends are big Pens fans and didn't like parting with him.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
your telling me the pens gave up 2 second round picks for some 4th d man? wow that's the going price?

anyone on our d line is available for that price! move 2 of them get some picks and bring the kids in next year please

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately NJ isn't a big destination for players. Even though it should be.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if guys want to win they'll have no problem coming to NJ. Tough to pass up the chance to play with a guy like Kovy and a hall of fame goaltender.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think if guys want to win they'll have no problem coming to NJ. Tough to pass up the chance to play with a guy like Kovy and a hall of fame goaltender.

I meant dealing one of our 8 d men for 2 second round picks.

its strange that you don't hear many big names coming to nj. but for some reason there is a ton of talent that is willing to get out asap. why is that? you don't see the rangers losing ufa or flyers or pens. they retain their talent. its not like money is an issue either because nieds and parise both got offered tons of money.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like they are trying to compete with the Devils' toughness and board work. We're the only team that has given them lots of trouble this season. Morrow will help them a lot but I'm skeptical about Murray. History has proven, with the Devils atleast, that those depth defensemen usually end up costing the team a game or 2 in the playoffs.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant dealing one of our 8 d men for 2 second round picks.

its strange that you don't hear many big names coming to nj. but for some reason there is a ton of talent that is willing to get out asap. why is that? you don't see the rangers losing ufa or flyers or pens. they retain their talent. its not like money is an issue either because nieds and parise both got offered tons of money.

Like Kovy, Brodeur and Elias? Vochenkov and Zubrus were some of the better free agents available when they signed here. I don't think we want to be modeling ourselves after the Rangers BTW.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Kovy, Brodeur and Elias? Vochenkov and Zubrus were some of the better free agents available when they signed here. I don't think we want to be modeling ourselves after the Rangers BTW.

I agree, but I also agree with Cup. I think it's all about the name. Despite the success, the Devils aren't a nationally known name outside of hockey. They don't get put on NBC unless they are in the stanley finals or playing someone like the Rangers. It is what it is. I like that the Devils are what they are, but fact remains that a guy like Malkin or Nash wouldn't be begging to play here anytime soon. The brand is everything.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
tell you the truth though I can see Richards coming in here and doing a better job. just like gomez and all the other flops. rangers are just too big for their own good. when they have the blue carpet walk before the game? they have the players walk through the fans between periods? some people handle that better then others. heck Richards came from the hockey hot beds of tampa bay and dallas. that's a tonic for fail.

a-train/tallendar are the few that have come here but lets face it they are 3/4 d men each. zubrus has bounced around the nhl and never lived up to his hype and I still believe he hasn't lived up to his contract here.

elias was retained but lets not forget he was a mere NTC away from signing with the rangers whats that say about loyalty? marty is marty and I have my own crazy conspiracy theory on why he stayed but I wont go into it.

kovy what can I say....its strange that when he was a UFA only the devils and the kings were interested in him? why is that? if he was a ufa after this season since he knows how to play 2way hockey would more teams be wanting him?

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to add to that, living near Pittsburgh and visiting frequently (and moving there if I get into their police dept), it really is a great place to live. I can see why players want to play there, even if the fanbase is largely bandwagon.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
dabs i thought when kovy stayed here it would change the minds of future UFAs but as with parise its still the same.

i know parise left to go home and play with suter. and nieds to play with his brother...maybe if it happened 1x i can understand it but twice? something is up

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And to add to that, living near Pittsburgh and visiting frequently (and moving there if I get into their police dept), it really is a great place to live. I can see why players want to play there, even if the fanbase is largely bandwagon.

they do have a permanti brothers sandwhich i would love to try!

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they do have a permanti brothers sandwhich i would love to try!

If I move there, the next time you come out we will hit up Primanti's. It never gets old.

As for free agents, I think the Devils get to be a little too strict. Like no facial hair? No twitter? The latter makes sense and is a good way to prevent stupid comments, but still, who wants to be with an uptight organization? There are more reasons, thats not just another that comes to mind.