• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pens @ Stars | 2.29.12 | Leap Year GNT

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lrg_Pittsburgh_Penguins128.gif
v
lrg_Dallas_Stars57.gif

PENGUINS (36-21-5) at STARS (33-26-4)

TV: NBCSN (HD), TSN2

Last 10: Pittsburgh 6-3-1; Dallas 5-3-2

Season Series: Second and final meeting of the season. Ex-Stars forward James Neal scored twice and Matt Cooke converted a penalty shot as the Penguins won 3-1 on Nov. 11 at Consol Energy Center.

Big Story: Neither team made a move Monday prior to the 3 p.m. trade deadline, and at first glance it's easy to understand why. The Penguins, who are battling for a top-four seed in the Eastern Conference, enter on a three-game winning streak. The Stars, meanwhile, have won four in a row to move into the eighth spot in the West and put themselves in the discussion as far as the Pacific Division title and a top-three seed are concerned.

Team Scope:

Penguins: While it's starting to seem the Rangers won't be caught in the Atlantic, there's a three-team race going on for second in the division and the No. 4 seed, which carries home ice for the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, between Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New Jersey. With Marc-Andre Fleury in need of a day off and veteran backup Brent Johnson ailing, prospect Brad Thiessen got his first NHL start Sunday against Columbus and stopped 21 shots in a 4-2 victory. Evgeni Malkin paced the Penguins' attack with his 37th goal of the season.

"As the game went along you could see he was comfortable, dealing with traffic and shots," coach Dan Bylsma said. "Three, four, five times he had to come out and make a save. It was a great win for Brad in his first NHL game."

Stars: With a handful of playoff hopefuls in hot pursuit, Dallas is in the position of needing to secure two points almost every time out in order to avoid slipping back outside the top eight. But the Stars are a confident team right now and it showed Sunday when they pulled out a thrilling 3-2 overtime win over the League-leading Canucks. After falling behind 2-0, Michael Ryder scored on the power play late in the second, then Mike Ribeiro tipped in an Alex Goligoski shot with 53 seconds left in the third. Loui Eriksson's goal 3:52 into the extra period set off the home team's celebration.

"There's a lot of games left, so you cannot get satisfied with a few wins there," Ribeiro said. "It's focus on the next one. We have another big team coming in (Pittsburgh) and after that, it's a big road trip. You enjoy it and then re-focus for Wednesday."

Who's Hot: Malkin has 5 goals in his last three games and 20 goals in as many games for the Penguins. Malkin (5-4-9) and Steve Sullivan (1-7-8) have five-game points streaks active. Cooke has 3 goals and 4 assists over his last five games. … Ribeiro has 3 goals and 7 assists during a seven-game points streak for the Stars. Trevor Daley has an assist in four straight games. Eriksson (3-2-5), Ryder (2-2-4) and Steve Ott (1-2-3) have three-game points streaks active. Kari Lehtonen has won four consecutive starts and given up just six goals in the process.

Injury Report: Johnson is day-to-day for Pittsburgh along with forward Arron Asham (upper body). Forwards Sidney Crosby (concussion/neck) and Tyler Kennedy (ankle) are on injured reserve. … Dallas forward Jamie Benn (leg) is day-to-day, while forwards Brenden Morrow (neck/back) and Jake Dowell (finger) are on injured reserve.

Stat Pack: Malkin led all skaters with six shots and former Stars defenseman Matt Niskanen had five for the Penguins the last time these teams played. … Current Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray played in his 700th NHL game Sunday and assisted on Ribeiro's game-tying goal.

Puck Drop: Dallas general manager Joe Nieuwendyk was in a tough spot at the trade deadline, because it's no guarantee his team will make the playoffs -- and yet, with a strong finish, it's also feasible they could win the Pacific and have home ice for at least the opening round of the playoffs. It's clear the players believe they're capable.

"We're battling for that last playoff spot, and hopefully we can get maybe a little bit higher," forward Vernon Fiddler said. "Momentum at this time of the year is very important, and it seems like over the last four games we've been building that, and we have to roll with it."

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some good quotes from Nisky on playing in Big D, again
"You certainly don't want to hurt anybody, but if you can get a good laugh out of it after," said Niskanen, who will play his first game in Dallas since he and James Neal were traded to Pittsburgh by the Stars last February.

His target of choice would be physical winger Steve Ott, who leads the Stars in hits (208) and penalty minutes (117). But it's nothing personal.

"It's just the kind of guy he is," Niskanen said. "He'd probably laugh at me, and I'd laugh at him. It's all business during the game, but he's certainly not going to slow up on any hits on anybody, especially not me. Anytime you get a chance to finish a guy like that it's nice."

Niskanen was the Stars' first-round pick in 2005 and played in four seasons with them, and Neal, the Stars' second-round pick in 2005, played three seasons in Dallas.

"It's going to be weird," Niskanen said, "going in the (American Airlines Center), seeing familiar faces and being on the other end of the hall. It's going to be different, but I'm excited for it."

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Dallas!

But wait, fuck the Pens, too....

I'm so confused. :wacko:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niskanen seems to be a little pissed off that he was considered a throw-in for the Neal/GoGo trade. Here is another quote:
This one will be personal, at least a little, because Niskanen sees it as an opportunity to show his former bosses that he can perform at a level the Dallas front office and coaching staff appeared to conclude he wasn't going to reach.

"I'm not [upset with Stars general manager Joe] Nieuwendyk, because it turned out to be the right thing for me," Niskanen said Tuesday.

"But, at the same time, I think I'll have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder, just playing ... [against] a team that kind of overlooked you in the end. Yeah, I think I'll have a chip on my shoulder."

joe_baran

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niskanen seems to be a little pissed off that he was considered a throw-in for the Neal/GoGo trade. Here is another quote:

As long as it doesn't turn into stupid penalties, I'm fine with a little "enthusiasm" in Niskanen's game.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it doesn't turn into stupid penalties, I'm fine with a little "enthusiasm" in Niskanen's game.

I completely agree. I hope this game gets a little spirited. I want Engelland to get a hold of that little shit Ott, and kick his ass. :boxing:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was not a good pass by geno. He got lucky Fleury bailed him out.

joe_baran

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope to all the hockey gods that Tanger isn't concussed right now. That would be a serious blow.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder if that hit will get a shanaban

joe_baran

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If that don't Shanny is basically saying it's open season.

The devil's advocate in me ponders whether one could argue that with Letang reaching for the puck to chip it past him, that he put himself in a vulnerable position. Add to that, that the player didn't raise up his elbow to hit him... I could see someone justifying it as borderline clean.

Now... the vengeful homer in me wants to see a shanaban... but I'm not holding my breath.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Turris hit was any indication there is no way. At full speed it looked like he rang him up but on slow mo he got 95% shoulder and maybe 5% head and that was cause LeTang ducked.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The devil's advocate in me ponders whether one could argue that with Letang reaching for the puck to chip it past him, that he put himself in a vulnerable position. Add to that, that the player didn't raise up his elbow to hit him... I could see someone justifying it as borderline clean.

Now... the vengeful homer in me wants to see a shanaban... but I'm not holding my breath.

You can't target the head. Not even with a shoulder, which it looks like he did IMO