• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pens-Sens Game 5 GNT

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... this game is driving up my blood pressure and I don't even like either team. I'm rooting for the Sens on principle (I love my underdogs, you know, like the Red Wings!) but I would hate to see the Pens go home early. For one, I'd kind of like a rematch. I know the rest of the league would want to put guns to their heads if they had to watch Detroit v Pittsburgh III, but I would like the tie breaker.

Also right now Sidney Crosby has elevated his game to a phenomenal level. It would be a shame to miss out on another dozen games or so of him and Malkin on my TV. I'm personally not seeing a whole lot of separation between the best teams in the playoffs and the worst teams in the playoffs right now. What seems to be the difference this year is a few key players. Doughty, Crosby, Zetterberg, Anderson, Pronger, and a few other guys have really seemed to separate themselves from the pack, and right now Crosby is just a joy to watch. I don't think Malkin has any sort of work ethic issues, but if he had Crosby's burn and drive he would literally be unstoppable. He is the more talented player, by a hair, but Crosby's skill combined with his desire has been incredible to watch so far in this series.

That said, you can't take anything away from the Sens. I think most people (Ottawa fans included) didn't think they were going to be very competitive this season, and while they were inconsistent they were brilliant during stretches. I don't think anyone expected them to put up this hard of a fight against the reigning champs either, but they are going toe to toe with the Pens and are playing with a lot of heart (again, not something Ottawa has been known for).

From an outside perspective, this series and this game in particular is everything you could ask for. I'm loving every second of this. Fleury has been spectacular, and Leclair even better.

Did anyone see that guy make the "I'm going to lift my girlfriend's shirt up on camera" motion? Versus couldn't switch camera views fast enough (for once... anyone else remember that Devils-Rags game?)

Was that the ghost of Mick McGeough when O'Halleren waved that goal off? It gave me a tingling sensation all over... and of course I wanted to vomit.

How do you not like Peter Regin? Him and Foligno have been great to watch. Except of course when taking turns going for piggyback rides with Orpik.

If I'm Jason Spezza, there's no way I'm going to the box for gently massaging Jay McKee's back. If you watch the replay, McKee's knees actually start to buckle when he feels Spezza's breath on his neck. Spezza should have got his money's worth and broke his stick in half.

Speaking of Jason Spezza, could he ever use a role model. He's got so much talent it's ridiculous... I don't know if they need another vet in the dressing room, or what, but he's got some untapped potential.

I can see why Holmgren replaced Stevens with Laviolette. Stevens has the personality and charisma of a wet two by four.

Anyways, those are some thoughts after five. Can't wait for OT3.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you guys his talent was for real.

I'm telling you, I should be a scout.

=)

Talent was never in doubt. It's durability and big game ability that were the questions.

One appears on the road to being answered.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... this game is driving up my blood pressure and I don't even like either team. I'm rooting for the Sens on principle (I love my underdogs, you know, like the Red Wings!) but I would hate to see the Pens go home early. For one, I'd kind of like a rematch. I know the rest of the league would want to put guns to their heads if they had to watch Detroit v Pittsburgh III, but I would like the tie breaker.

Also right now Sidney Crosby has elevated his game to a phenomenal level. It would be a shame to miss out on another dozen games or so of him and Malkin on my TV. I'm personally not seeing a whole lot of separation between the best teams in the playoffs and the worst teams in the playoffs right now. What seems to be the difference this year is a few key players. Doughty, Crosby, Zetterberg, Anderson, Pronger, and a few other guys have really seemed to separate themselves from the pack, and right now Crosby is just a joy to watch. I don't think Malkin has any sort of work ethic issues, but if he had Crosby's burn and drive he would literally be unstoppable. He is the more talented player, by a hair, but Crosby's skill combined with his desire has been incredible to watch so far in this series.

That said, you can't take anything away from the Sens. I think most people (Ottawa fans included) didn't think they were going to be very competitive this season, and while they were inconsistent they were brilliant during stretches. I don't think anyone expected them to put up this hard of a fight against the reigning champs either, but they are going toe to toe with the Pens and are playing with a lot of heart (again, not something Ottawa has been known for).

From an outside perspective, this series and this game in particular is everything you could ask for. I'm loving every second of this. Fleury has been spectacular, and Leclair even better.

Did anyone see that guy make the "I'm going to lift my girlfriend's shirt up on camera" motion? Versus couldn't switch camera views fast enough (for once... anyone else remember that Devils-Rags game?)

Was that the ghost of Mick McGeough when O'Halleren waved that goal off? It gave me a tingling sensation all over... and of course I wanted to vomit.

How do you not like Peter Regin? Him and Foligno have been great to watch. Except of course when taking turns going for piggyback rides with Orpik.

If I'm Jason Spezza, there's no way I'm going to the box for gently massaging Jay McKee's back. If you watch the replay, McKee's knees actually start to buckle when he feels Spezza's breath on his neck. Spezza should have got his money's worth and broke his stick in half.

Speaking of Jason Spezza, could he ever use a role model. He's got so much talent it's ridiculous... I don't know if they need another vet in the dressing room, or what, but he's got some untapped potential.

I can see why Holmgren replaced Stevens with Laviolette. Stevens has the personality and charisma of a wet two by four.

Anyways, those are some thoughts after five. Can't wait for OT3.

That was beautiful. :'(

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also right now Sidney Crosby has elevated his game to a phenomenal level. It would be a shame to miss out on another dozen games or so of him and Malkin on my TV.

Two phenomenal points. As much as people want to try and argue it on principle, Sid is the definition of clutch. That Olympics thing was no fluke. As a fan of the game, I enjoy watching him get things done, lizard lips notwithstanding.

And Spezza... There's a lot of people on the Sens who could benefit from some solid leadership. Alfredsson leads by example. And that's fine. But some guys need a "Lead by grabbing you by the scruff of the neck" type. At the very least a "Lead by explaining what it's like to be there" kind of guy.

I have that off-chance wet dream that Yzerman will come back to his hometown and take a position with the Sens. Having a guy like him or Bourque or Sakic would do amazing things for Spezza. Regin, Foligno and Winchester too. I was so happy when they signed Jason Smith. But that was too short lived.

There are pieces in place for this team to be great. But there is no glue holding it together. This fight might start them down that road. But there's still something missing.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He really does. If only the guy realized how much talent he actually has. When he's in full go mode he's pretty tough to stop.

If only he could bring it more often.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two phenomenal points. As much as people want to try and argue it on principle, Sid is the definition of clutch. That Olympics thing was no fluke. As a fan of the game, I enjoy watching him get things done, lizard lips notwithstanding.

And Spezza... There's a lot of people on the Sens who could benefit from some solid leadership. Alfredsson leads by example. And that's fine. But some guys need a "Lead by grabbing you by the scruff of the neck" type. At the very least a "Lead by explaining what it's like to be there" kind of guy.

I have that off-chance wet dream that Yzerman will come back to his hometown and take a position with the Sens. Having a guy like him or Bourque or Sakic would do amazing things for Spezza. Regin, Foligno and Winchester too. I was so happy when they signed Jason Smith. But that was too short lived.

There are pieces in place for this team to be great. But there is no glue holding it together. This fight might start them down that road. But there's still something missing.

As I typed that post, that's the exact thing that I thought. However, I cannot type those words, or make any insinuations regarding that thing that you mentioned. In the state of Michigan, talking about or mentioning that thing you said is grounds for being torn apart by rabid dobermans while being forced to listen to Grinder.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goligoski skates like's floating on an air hockey table. I could watch that guy all day.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good game so far. didnt expect the sens to really be competitive in this game.

by the way how smart is the nfl to slot their draft in prime time opposite the nhl and nba playoffs and most networks' top shows. guaranteed the draft (as boring as it is to watch) will still have higher ratings than nhl and nba.