• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penny Hardaway says Kawhi is not a Superstar?

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Hardaway, the offcourt persona is an essential part of being an NBAsuperstar, and that's why he thinks San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard doesn't deserve the title. Hardaway explained his position on Sirius XM's NBA show, "Bottomline."

"Superstar? No. Kawhi Leonard is not a superstar because he has no interest in being the face of the league or starring in TV commercials," Hardaway said. "He's a good player, but I wouldn't consider him a superstar player."

Penny is smoking the reefer hard lately.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penny just salty as fuck. Kawhi has already become a player better than you will ever be at his current Age. Plus he won a ring and finals MVP. He's already surpassed him in his overall career, and he's only mid-20s, just hittign prime. He's in the conversation for being the best in the league now (interchangeably with Durant, LeBron and Curry)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his point though. Kinda how Duncan was never the superstar he could have been.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Hardaway, the offcourt persona is an essential part of being an NBAsuperstar, and that's why he thinks San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard doesn't deserve the title. Hardaway explained his position on Sirius XM's NBA show, "Bottomline."

"Superstar? No. Kawhi Leonard is not a superstar because he has no interest in being the face of the league or starring in TV commercials," Hardaway said. "He's a good player, but I wouldn't consider him a superstar player."

I think it is a fair viewpoint. Notice his comments have nothing to do with Kawhi's ability as a player. Doesn't the term superstar imply immense popularity as much as talent? Penny is saying Kawhi isn't a glamorous figure off the court. That is why he doesn't consider him a superstar.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Penny.

KL is a great player. One of the very best in the world. He's not a Superstar. Which isn't a knock on the guy, it's not the worst thing to have a great player somewhat uninterested in selling products like he Billy Mays.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan was exactly the superstar he wanted to be.

Oh I agree. My point wasn't a criticism of Duncan. Kawhi may have no interest in being a superstar either.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually saw the actual quote from Penny. He never said this.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kahwi is a superstar, towards the lower end of current NBA superstars but still a NBA superstar for sure.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can be an elite player and MVP candidate without being a superstar, like the aforementioned Duncan. Superstar to me brings with it a lot of ego and self-aggrandizing, really playing the part.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it comes down to what your definition of a superstar is. Penny is mostly referencing to the global branding of the player, which Kawhi has no interest in at this time. He didn't say Kawhi isn't an Elite player, he said he wasn't a superstar.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Actually, you know what, I can give Kawhi superstar (status). Because he’s just not a guy that likes commercials, he’s not a guy that wants to be the face of the league. He just wants to get his work done. … But he would be a superstar to me, for sure, because he handles his own with anybody in the league.”

Penny's actual quote.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't look at being "the face of the league," commercials, shoe deals or any of that crap for determining whether or not a guy is a superstar. None of it means shit on the basketball court.

Kawhi is a superstar because he's not only one of the best players in the game, he's also in the conversation for best player in the game once Lebron begins to fade.

In short:

Kawhi is a superstar and Penny is an idiot.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't look at being "the face of the league," commercials, shoe deals or any of that crap for determining whether or not a guy is a superstar. None of it means shit on the basketball court.

Kawhi is a superstar because he's not only one of the best players in the game, he's also in the conversation for best player in the game once Lebron begins to fade.

In short:

Kawhi is a superstar and Penny is an idiot.

th

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The jury might still be out on that one, but he is pretty damned close to being a super-star if he isn't one and who is Penny Hardaway to be talking about good player? - He sure was never close to being one, so how would he know what one is? LOL