• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State Abuse Scandal

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard a crazy sidenote to this shit on the radio: In 1998 the parent(s) of one of the children went to the campus police, who apparently tried to "sweep it under the rug". A local DA found out about the allegations and thought there was enough evidence to build a case. Shortly after starting interviews and such, he/she was reported missing and finally declared dead last year.

bad stuff went on, but i have a hard time believing that's true.. but if it is.. wow..

Why are all the scandals in college football these days? Why can't the NBA unveil something bad other than the lockout(i see as a good thing)

this is something different entirely.. paying recruits, selling memorabilia, even cheating in school.. i'm not even going to call those scandals after this one

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
bad stuff went on, but i have a hard time believing that's true.. but if it is.. wow..

Actually i guess the radio guy had the story screwed up,

The DA was Frank Gricar, he actually refused to press charges against sandusky, and didnt go missing until 2005.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually i guess the radio guy had the story screwed up,

The DA was Frank Gricar, he actually refused to press charges against sandusky, and didnt go missing until 2005.

mm gotcha.. that sounded a little far fetched.. lets hope it doesn't come to something like that

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports coming out that Paterno is retiring at the end of the season.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such a sad situation. Even though I always questioned whether Paterno did much coaching anymore, it's still upsetting to lose a coaching legend under these circumstances. Plus all of the young people affected by this. Just awful.

On a side note, does anyone see this helping recruiting? PSU didn't bring in dominant classes, but I feel like we were consistently battling them for the non VA/southeast recruits. With Paterno gone, I can't help but think that they're program will have a few down years

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really should leave immediately. For the good of his team. They have a chance to go to the Rose Bowl (or more?) this season... every game they play from now on will be about Joe Pa and this scandal. It's going to be very tough on his players. All of them will be scrutinized when they are forced to continue to play for him.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really should leave immediately. For the good of his team. They have a chance to go to the Rose Bowl (or more?) this season... every game they play from now on will be about Joe Pa and this scandal. It's going to be very tough on his players. All of them will be scrutinized when they are forced to continue to play for him.

to be fair...whether Paterno is there or not...the scandal will be all that is talked about for every game from here on out this year, IMO

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair...whether Paterno is there or not...the scandal will be all that is talked about for every game from here on out this year, IMO

Right... but if he was gone there would be SOME hope that whomever was covering the game would leave it alone. If he's on the field there's no hope of that whatsoever.

Also... think any players refuse to play for him? Could you take orders from a man who made the decisions that Paterno did? Or could you carry his banner into war? I'd have trouble with that.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

IMO all this shit is going to make PSU football hard to watch for the next couple years. For the remainder of this season this "scandal" will dominate anything PSU related and after that we will have to hear about JoPa's retirement for about 12-18months.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paterno is out...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Immediately and the President is as well. They are clearing house of any and all involved it looks like. Glad to see it. Any word on if the former GA from 2002 who I've heard is still on the staff is getting released?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hasnt really gotten all that ugly yet but there is somewhat of a mini-riot going on @ PSU.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love myself a good riot. I'm curious to see what will go down tonight. I have some friends that go there and judging by their facebook statuses, the students are not taking this firing very well. I would have suggested closing the bars, but that would just give the students another reason to riot...

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I love myself a good riot. I'm curious to see what will go down tonight. I have some friends that go there and judging by their facebook statuses, the students are not taking this firing very well. I would have suggested closing the bars, but that would just give the students another reason to riot...

I've heard a tv van flipped over, light poles ripped out the ground, rocks thrown,

^ there is talk on the brasky board of fires and police with dogs and pepper spray.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These students are morons. Joe Pa was a FOOTBALL COACH. Nothing more.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. My respect for PSU is dwindling by the minute. They were among the biggest supporters of Tech after the shootings. I recall they wore maroon shirts for their 2007 Spring Game among other things. But this is just ridiculous. Rioting? Even protesting? How much in denial do you have to be to still support Paterno here? Unless you thinly he's late second term Regan, he KNEW something. If you know ANYTHING about child r*pe you Fucking need justice, if not retribution.

Beamer is close to the same legacy at Tech. He built us up from next to nothing. He's the face of the program. He's beloved (until we lose a game... Then hes too old). If he did this shit I'd want him canned for sure. And I certainly wouldn't riot about it.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad thing is, a similar thing would probably happen at Virginia Tech if Frank was involved in a similar situation. Just goes to show you, too many people hold sports way too highly and want to throw out morals just to win. At the end of the day, football is just a game and has a very small impact on your life.

Everyone saw that Joe Pa had to take the fall as well as the rest of Penn State administration. Joe Pa is just the recognizable name so everyone is up in arms about it.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad thing is, a similar thing would probably happen at Virginia Tech if Frank was involved in a similar situation. Just goes to show you, too many people hold sports way too highly and want to throw out morals just to win. At the end of the day, football is just a game and has a very small impact on your life.

Everyone saw that Joe Pa had to take the fall as well as the rest of Penn State administration. Joe Pa is just the recognizable name so everyone is up in arms about it.

I don't think that this had to do with winning to the PSU students. From my friends at the school, it seemed they think the school owed it to Joe Pa to coach his last games after all he's done for the school. After coaching for 46 seasons and donating millions of dollars to the school, they thought that the students should at least be allowed to say goodbye to him on the field. If something like this happened at VT with Beamer, I would probably feel the same way.

The firing needed to be done, though. With the allegations against Paterno, it just wouldn't be right to have 100K+ fans cheering for him over the next 2 months.

My one question is... why does McQuery still have a job? He should have been shipped out with Paterno, imo.