• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens better make Cooke a healthy scratch the entire next series.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they can grow from this...LOTS to fix though. LOTS. I agree with most though. Sens don't pose the same problems. They pose different problems though. They have more talent.

Bolts, you a got a team with a whole lotta hope in that squad. HOWEVER, Nabby didn't do enough for them. Need a goalie and a few young D and you will be a contender.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pens better make Cooke a healthy scratch the entire next series.

He leads the team in Hits.. 25. Morrow has 20, then Dupper with 18. Cooke is 3rd amongst forwards for average time PKing... he needs to be in the line-up. I know, he takes penalties.

Pens are very sloppy and I just hope it was more the Isles than the Pens. Nabby is no Anderson...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nabby was the pretty much the only reason the Islanders didn't win this series..

0.842 SV% is pathetic... that's like... MAF-vs.-Flyers (0.834?) bad. :L

Anyway, Ottawa's got a real goalie so things might get interesting next round.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nabby was the pretty much the only reason the Islanders didn't win this series..

0.842 SV% is pathetic... that's like... MAF-vs.-Flyers (0.834?) bad. :L

Anyway, Ottawa's got a real goalie so things might get interesting next round.

I wouldn't say the only reason was Nabby. Give credit where it is due. Pittsburgh killed 18 of 20 short-handed opportunities (90%), and converted seven of twenty one power-play chances (33.3%).

Also, the Pens are the only team to earn two shut outs against their first round opponent, so far. Nabby played poorly in this series, but he can't win games where his own team can't score.

I kind of like how everyone is underestimating Pittsburgh after this thrilling six games. Hopefully the Sens do the same thing.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to the Penguins & their fans. It was a hard fought victory. The Islanders had plenty of chances to win Game 6. They just couldn't finish enough of their opportunities & Nabby didn't get the job done.

The difference in the series was Vokoun. If Fleury wasn't pulled I believe the Islanders would have won the series.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to the Penguins & their fans. It was a hard fought victory. The Islanders had plenty of chances to win Game 6. They just couldn't finish enough of their opportunities & Nabby didn't get the job done.

The difference in the series was Vokoun. If Fleury wasn't pulled I believe the Islanders would have won the series.

*fist bumps Ray Shero*

Same to you man...do you guys have a goalie in the pipeline?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*fist bumps Ray Shero*

Same to you man...do you guys have a goalie in the pipeline?

Kevin Poulin & Anders Nilsson are the top 2 in the pipeline. Nilsson basically lost most of the season because of an illness. He's fine now, but it took awhile to figure out what was wrong.

I expect Garth to look at the UFA & trade market for a #1 goaltender. Many Isles fans want Jonathan Bernier. I don't want to give up what it would probably take to get him though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Poulin & Anders Nilsson are the top 2 in the pipeline. Nilsson basically lost most of the season because of an illness. He's fine now, but it took awhile to figure out what was wrong.

I expect Garth to look at the UFA & trade market for a #1 goaltender. Many Isles fans want Jonathan Bernier. I don't want to give up what it would probably take to get him though.

With the talent in your system, I'm sure LA'd be looking for a nice young gun. That's the sort of guy they should be going after though...need a franchise guy, not a stop gap. With the playoff push and the move to Brooklyn, I assume Wang will open the checkbook a bit?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the talent in your system, I'm sure LA'd be looking for a nice young gun. That's the sort of guy they should be going after though...need a franchise guy, not a stop gap. With the playoff push and the move to Brooklyn, I assume Wang will open the checkbook a bit?

One more year in L.I. so I doubt Wang opens the checkbook. The truth is he doesn't have too. The Isles have over 16M coming off the books & that's after resigning Visnovsky. They offered Streit 5M per for three years & he said no. I think Lombardi wants to much for Bernier. I wouldn't give up Nino, Strome, Nelson or Reinhart in any trade. I prefer Garth look at Khudobin or another UFA goalie.

They do have to resign Hamonic & Bailey. Travis will probably be the toughest to resign, but the one thing about the Isles is if they want to keep a player the deal gets done. It's going to be an interesting summer for the Islanders. I have no idea if UFA's will now take them seriously, but I'm eagerly awaiting finding out.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, though, how much of Nabby's performance was due to a dropoff in his abilities vs. the talent he faced? His regular season numbers this year were on par with the rest of his career (.910 2.50), and this playoffs was an anomaly from his previous playoff numbers.